C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Should I get a C1 or C2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 10:47 AM
Captain Kirk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a C1 or C2?

I'm about to sell my '99 C5 and going for a classic. My C5 depreciates at about $3K/year. I figure a C1 or C2 is a car I can keep forever, actually work on, will appreciate, and never go out of style. I know someone with a '64 in great condition with my name on it. I kind of like the looks of the older ones ('58 - 61'). Anyone want to give an opinion? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:18 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (Captain Kirk)

David, Buy a C1. Everybody knows that all REAL corvettes had a trunk!!!
Now to be serious for a minute, If lots of driving is in your future then a C2 is definately a roomier, better handling, more comfortable ride. The C1 on the other hand has that style that us C1 guys just find impossible to resist. The decision is simply what do you like better. why not compromise and buy one of each!!!! :seeya

[Modified by John McGraw, 9:21 AM 11/3/2001]
Old 11-03-2001, 02:26 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

David,

Your question is a rather broad one but I have a couple of thoughts which might help in your selection. I guess the first question to ask yourself is which one appeals to you more from a styling standpoint. When considering a car that you intend to keep for a long time that's an important consideration. Beyond that there are the more objective aspects such as ride, braking and interior room. The C2 would have the edge in these areas although the 64 most likely still has it's original drum brakes. Then, things like how you intend to use it, and how much maintenance you can do yourself come into play. When evaluating one car versus another the condition becomes the important factor. If you are unfamiliar with either of these models get someone who knows them well to give you a hand and buy the best one you can find and afford unless you intend to spend the time and money in a restoration. Doing the right kind of evaluation now will save you headaches and money in the long run.

Whichever one you select it is unlikely that you will use it as much as you do a C5. Either one is still an over 30 year old car and you should plan on doing more maintenance than you would on a newer car. The classic Vettes are fantastic cars to have and enjoy but you do have to contend with different characteristics than on the newer ones.

Good luck in your search.

Rich Lagasse
Old 11-03-2001, 02:38 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (richscorvettes)

Rich (Dick),

Although you don't post very often, your thoughts are always well-reasoned and worth considering.

I keep thinking, though, that one day I'm gonna catch you posting something really weird or offbeat in 'Off Topic'!

:lol: ;)
Old 11-03-2001, 03:13 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (67HEAVEN)

Well Bob, I guess you really know me well. :yesnod: I sometimes start a post in the Off Topic section and then delete it believing in the old adage of: "better to remain quiet and thought a fool than speaking out and removing all doubt" :D

I see your project is coming along very well. Have fun with it; Carlisle awaits!

Rich
Old 11-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

When you really think about it you know deep down what style vette you want. Which ones always turn your head? Which ones do you always look at and think to your self that that is the car that you would really like to own. That is the one that you should get. Don't make the mistake that I did and buy a car because it is convenient, if it isn't what you truly want you will regret it from the start.
Also keep in mind that these are 30+ year old cars and are in no way close to the C5 in reliability, handling, or comfort and require a great deal of attention.
Good luck in your search.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:23 AM
jims427
Heel & Toe

I'm a big block 66 owner, so I supposed I'm a little partial to the C2 Vettes. However, I do appreciate the look of the C1 especially the 58-62 years. Styling aside, if you plan to do a great deal of driving the C2 is probably your better pick. The ride of the C1 is not the easiest on the gluteus. If your use of the Vette will center around shows, parades, etc. you can't beat the look of a classic C1. With either pick, plan on doing a fair share of maintenance as these are cars over 34 years old. Pick one with good paint, fresh chrome, find out when was the last time the brakes were done, and ask the history of drivetrain. Good luck and let us know what you decide. ("A'int No Year Like A Mid-Year")
Old 11-04-2001, 03:15 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

David,

We could all write pages and pages about this subject but I'll keep my comments to a minimum.

Firstly I like all corvettes and would have a couple of each series if finances permitted but as I can only afford one at a time I have settled on the C-1.

Previously I owned a C-4.

I love the C-5's and late C-4's and If I didn't have the 59 my second choice would be a late C-4 or C-5.

The C-2 leaves the C-1 for dead as far as handling goes, but as I have a 350/350 in my 59 the power isn't an issue and my personal favorite is the C-1 styling so I'm prepared to forgo the superior handling of the later cars.

The one piece of advise I can offer is be very clear that the early and late Vettes are indeed VERY different animals so make sure that you get to drive a couple of each of the early models before buying, but make sure that they are good examples as otherwise you will get a false impression of the potential Cars.

Good Luck and Good hunting!!!!! :cheers:
Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a 99 Coupe, and a 65 Coupe. I would like to have a 61/62 also. The mid-year cars are great. You will enjoy it. :chevy
Old 11-04-2001, 10:01 AM
kahuner
Racer

The choice between a C1 or C2 in part comes down to how tall you are. Because of the way the doors are cut into the body, getting in or out of a C1 gets old quick if your 6' 1" like myself. And then if you happen to be "fully growed" like I am, the 17" steering wheel is gonna become your closest friend! :D

The styling of the '58~'60 is hard to resist, and based on the calls I was getting when I was selling my C1, they are very popular but there are some definate drawbacks! If you could take the body off of a C1 and put in on your C5 I think you'd really have something! Otherwise I'd stick with a C2.

Old 11-04-2001, 11:12 AM
cdwilson13
Cruising

As the owner of a '62, I'm a little put off by it's omission in your description of C1s. Nonetheless, I'll share with you why I'm so partial to the C1.
1. I fell in love with the C1 in 1965, when I hitchhiked to Champ's drive-in restaurant (at the age of 15), saw more hot rods and early muscle cars than I knew existed, and formed my opinion that the 62 Vette was the most outstanding of the lot.
2. The absence of power brakes, power steering, air conditioning, etc., etc. and the abundance of space under the hood makes the C1 the easiest of the vettes to work on for those of us who have moderate mechanical skills, limited tools, short attention spans, and lots of other distractions.
3. My non-motorhead friends, their wives, and my early 20s kids don't consider drivers of such a modest relic to be quite as pretentious as drivers of the later year vettes.
In short, for me the C1 hits all my hot buttons. And in truth, the subjective factors have a greater influence than the objective ones. In that regard, if one would care to argue that having a long-term relationship with a car is anything but subjective, good luck winning that argument.
Go with your first love.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (cdwilson13)

The first thing you have to do is to decide how you want to enjoy the car; I had a '57 back in '59, and decided about six years ago I had to have it again, so I found a good restoration candidate and spent three years bringing it back to life. I've put 4,000 miles on it since I finished it three years ago, mostly local cruising, shows, and short road trips - the top has only been up twice when I got caught in the rain (the hardtop's in the basement). It turns heads everywhere I go, it's lots of fun to drive, and there aren't many of them left - love the sound of solid lifters, dual quads, and off-road mufflers!

In its stock (Top Flight) configuration it's not a great car for longer trips or Corvette convoy trips, as the 3.70 axle keeps it howling about 3200 rpm at typical freeway speeds, while the later cars with more highway-oriented axle ratios cruise much more comfortably at those speeds for long periods, have more interior space, and have more comfortable seats and driving position.

I knew the 57's pluses and minuses relative to later cars before I started (I had several C2's and a tube-frame Grand Sport previously), and the '57 suits my intended usage perfectly; if I was going to do a lot of road trips and extended highway driving, I'd have gone with a C2 again.

Old 11-04-2001, 06:18 PM
M.Y.Freak
Instructor

Captain,
One consideration that i don't believe has been mentioned is: Age. I think it makes a difference if you're 30 or 60 (these are approximate). If you're around thirty you won't mind the C1 ride, lack of creature comforts (A/C, P.S.Etc.) & if you're near 60 you'll definitely enjoy them in a C2.
Don't misunderstand, I've owned 3 C1s & I regret selling them all.But for longer cruises (more than a couple of hours) I'd vote for the C2.
Just my .02 worth!
Regards, Bob L.
'63 Coupe under construction
2K Navy Coupe
Old 11-05-2001, 11:01 AM
ARed64
Racer

As mentioned here, your height can be a big determining factor. I am 6'2" with very long legs. While I would love to have a 59 or 60, I just can't get comfortable in those cars. They don't have much leg room.

The C2s have much more leg room.

Also, engine size. The C1 year Vettes you are considering had 283 engines as orginal equipment. While there were some powerful 283s made, the C2s all had at least a 327 and, except for perhaps the base engine in some C2 years, for the most part will be more powerful. Of course if originality does not matter, this is not an issue

Regarding drum brakes on 63, 64s and some 65s, its not an issue if you are not doing performance oriented driving or driving in the rain. My driving is mostly top down crusing on nice days. I can't tell the difference between drums and discs in those conditions and I don't have the problems many people do with C2 discs.

As mentioned here, you just need to decide what you like best and are going to do with the car.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2?

I am a proud owner of a '60. I am 6'2" and am 36 years old. I have been reading all these posts so I figured I would tell my hight and age. When I bought my car I was only interested in style. I could care less about comfort at that time. I restored my car from the ground up. People mention about ride and drum brakes. Well, I would be happy to take any vette owner out in my car and let them tell me how it rides. I have radial tires and gas KYB shocks and it really rides pretty good. I live in a terrible area for roads as well. Pittsburgh. I find there is plenty of room in my vette and the steering wheel doesn't effect me. I only wiegh about 210 lbs. Now keep in mind my daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee with a 4" lift, not a Cadillac or Jag.

If I were you, I would choose which ever one you like better as far as looks go. 58Mike is 6'5 or 6" and has well you guessed it a '58. I take my car on trips and have 4:10 gears. That is something I should change at some point, but I have fun beating up on new cars off the line. :) I would drive my car to California if I had a chance. I may some day.

Great responses. I wish I had enough money for a mid year as well. I would like to have one of those pretty bad right now. I want another project. Probably would rather have a screeming small block and not a big block. I like a car that isn't too tempermental like the BB's.

Enjoy,
Curt
Old 11-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (ARed64)

I jetisoned my 99 for the 65 396. My favorite thing about the 65 is the motor. It so..so...wicked. It sounds like death coming down the road. And the M22 sounds like a circular saw gone bezerk. The 99 was just too civilized.

Congrats on your decision.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:16 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Should I get a C1 or C2? (Mag Red Man)

I jetisoned my 99 for the 65 396. My favorite thing about the 65 is the motor. It so..so...wicked. It sounds like death coming down the road. And the M22 sounds like a circular saw gone bezerk. The 99 was just too civilized.
Amen brother! Someone in the C5 Section recently posted the names of the CDs in their C5's changer. I added mine to the list and a few of them got it :crazy:

1. Hi-revving big block with gear drive cam
2. Double-pumper carb screaming for more air
3. Solid-lifters tapping like Bojangles
4. Hooker headers and side exhaust setting off car alarms
5. Rear tires searching desperately for traction
6. Screaming passenger praying for deliverance

Music????.....Who needs music?
:jester

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 8:16 PM 11/5/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get a C1 or C2?

Old 11-08-2001, 09:26 PM
solidaxles&elkys
Advanced

C.K.
solid axles rule!!! I love my 62. 327/340hp and a 4 speed what else do you need? Mine rides and drives great. I am 6'1" and fit just fine behind the wheel. Whichever year you choose make sure you DRIVE IT! My dad has a 61 vette, it is a little flashier (white coves, brighter door panels more chrome trim, etc...) but not quite the performence numbers of my vette. Any specific questions feel free to e-mail.
elky207@yahoo.com
Eddie J. :flag
Old 11-08-2001, 11:27 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one of each, a 62 fuelie and a 67 SB coupe with p/s, p/b and factory air. The 62 is my favorite. I enjoy working on it and love to drive it. By comparison, the 67 is a much nicer car to drive, rides better, stops MUCH better, and handles better. Straight line performance is about a toss up. The 67 could be used as a daily driver without any problem. The 62 would get to be a pain if one needed to use it every day.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:07 AM
Captain Kirk
Advanced

You guys have been great! Thanks for all the responses to this post. Now I want that '64 AND an older C1. Why can't we all have Jay Leno's garage? Of course, I'm still having fun in my C5. But since it's not a daily driver, I don't really need all the electronic stuff. It has so much stuff under the hood, you can't even see the motor! I think it's down there.

I really like the styling of the C1 and will probably seek one after I sell mine. Anyone wanting to trade a C1 for my C5?

Quick Reply: Should I get a C1 or C2?