C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Right rear wheel rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:49 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear wheel rattling

My 63 SWC came with Cragar wheels. There is a rattle in the right rear area of the car now. It has been gone over by a mechanic and everything underneath has been tightened. I pulled the wheel and the lug nut holes are elongated and have been drilled out in the center to allow the lug nut through. It is now impossible to tighten the wheel enough to stop it from working. I see that Corvette Central has Cragar wheels and I am wondering if I would just run into the same fit problem or if what they sell now would go on a 63 and fit right without any redrilling. Does anyone have any knowledge of them?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

If what you are describing are "uni-lug" wheels, everything is as it should be. These kinds of wheels used thick washers with holes in various positions to allow the use of the same wheel on different makes of cars. You put the proper washer for your wheel in the elongated area and then put the lug nut on. Is the part of the wheel around the holes where the wheel studs go milled down about 1/8"? Uni-lug wheels also used a special kind of lug nut.

Last edited by nassau66427; 05-26-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added bit about lug nuts
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Originally Posted by nassau66427
If what you are describing are "uni-lug" wheels, everything is as it should be. These kinds of wheels used thick washers with holes in various positions to allow the use of the same wheel on different makes of cars. You put the proper washer for your wheel in the elongated area and then put the lug nut on. Is the part of the wheel around the holes where the wheel studs go milled down about 1/8"? Uni-lug wheels also used a special kind of lug nut.
There is a regular round washer under the lug nut head which sits on top of the hole not in it. The lug nut itself goes thru the elongated hole as it screws onto the lug. It just doesn't look like there is anything keeping the wheel from moving in the elongated hole except the friction of the washer against the outside of the hole.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:59 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwebb
I pulled the wheel and the lug nut holes are elongated and have been drilled out in the center to allow the lug nut through.

That doesn't sound right.The base of the lugnut indexes the wheel to the studs. Either the wheel has worn or someone has bubba'd it. A picture would help.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Sounds like the "Uni-Lug" insert piece is missing.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:21 AM
korvette kenny
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Sounds like the "Uni-Lug" insert piece is missing.
And also the the lug nuts and washers are probably not the correct ones for the wheels.
Fix that soon, before your wheels pass your car going down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Right rear wheel rattling

Quick Reply: Right rear wheel rattling