C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carb problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Carb problems.....

Having problems tuning the Holly on my 327/365. I get hesitation when launching from a stop. Once I get going all runs great. I have checked floats, gas is right below the screw level, checked for vacuum leaks, power valve is good. Car fires right up when cold, but after running and warmed, it takes a few seconds to fire back up. The carb is original. I rebuilt the carb as it was in need and still the same problem.....any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
C64BOB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the hesitation on light throttle tip in or on heavier throttle? Light throttle would probably be the transition from the idle system to the main system if heavier throttle it could be accelerator pump related. So a more concise description is warranted.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C64BOB
it could be accelerator pump related.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably got the wrong vaccum advance on it. The non start is usually holley itis, leaking back into the manifold.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

After you verify the correct vacuum can and the correct accelerator pump adjustment, it may be a little lean on the primary side. The easiest way to check is to close the choke half way and if it's better, it's too lean.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Check the accelerator pump adjustment - it MUST be done with the throttle lever in the WOT position when you make the .015" clearance adjustment; if you do it with the lever in the idle position, you'll get bogs and hesitation. Just takes three hands or a stout rubber band.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Problem was not the carb....

The problem was the top of the main distributor shaft had become loose ( from an obvious earlier repair) and the rotors were probably getting up to 30% play....Actually, I am surprised that the car even ran as good as it did ......I need a new main shaft, but in the mean time a small weld did the job! I appreciate every-one's assistance! The car runs PERFECT! Looks like I rebuilt the carb for no reason, but what is done is done.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb problems.....

Quick Reply: Carb problems.....