C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to wire for lift in new garage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Need a lift install company

Wow Great response, I plan to put my lift in the center of my garage because thats where the vault is (highest Point) and drive under it to park behind it. So it looks like wiring a junction box to drop from the ceiling would be the way to go. What I really need is a lift install company, any one in phoenix AZ have any good references. While I am pretty good at construction and appliance installation (even though I paid sears to install a new oven and DW) I notice that these two post lifts weigh about 3000 lbs.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
rdrunnur
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming down from the ceiling is what you want. If your going 2 post you will need 220v 30 amp breaker. 4 post lifts can come in either voltage. There are no 2 post lifts that run 110v that I have seen.

Go to Challenger or Rotary and sign up for information. You will have a lift guy calling you very fast. They can install and service for you. I just went that route. The salesmen by the way can sell you any lift you want. They deal in all brands and types.......

Watching mine get installed I am glad to have it installed.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 4 inch thick concrete. The Mohawk lifts ask for 5 inches.

Rd

Even if the lift is next to the wall you can still work on it. The car sits in the middle, not inline with the post. Lifts are THE ONLY way to go. No more laying on my back.......
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 PM
65 COUPEDEBLUE
Advanced

My .02 cents. Or pull an axle shaft out of a rear end.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrunnur
Coming down from the ceiling is what you want. If your going 2 post you will need 220v 30 amp breaker. 4 post lifts can come in either voltage. There are no 2 post lifts that run 110v that I have seen.

Go to Challenger or Rotary and sign up for information. You will have a lift guy calling you very fast. They can install and service for you. I just went that route. The salesmen by the way can sell you any lift you want. They deal in all brands and types.......

Watching mine get installed I am glad to have it installed.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 4 inch thick concrete. The Mohawk lifts ask for 5 inches.

Rd

Even if the lift is next to the wall you can still work on it. The car sits in the middle, not inline with the post. Lifts are THE ONLY way to go. No more laying on my back.......

My LiftMasters 9,000 notes to use no less than a 6" 3,000 psi pour with wire mesh reinforcement.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:34 AM
justinvick
2nd Gear

For a garage lift, it's typical to use heavy-duty wiring such as 8 or 10-gauge stranded copper wire rated for 220 volts. This wiring is often run overhead to accommodate the lift's power requirements and avoid interference with the garage floor.

Alternatively, if you prefer to run the wiring under the slab, it's essential to cut the concrete and install conduit to protect the wiring from damage.

Ensure that the electrical rough-in adheres to local building codes and regulations to ensure safety and compliance. Consulting with a licensed electrician for guidance on the specific wiring requirements for your garage lift is highly recommended.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:18 AM
bob68
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also bought a Bendpak and installed it easily by myself.I had a a flat bed wrecker take it off the truck and set the box in my garage, I also put a 220volt 30 amp. outlet and plug in the side wall that I also use for my mig welder.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:24 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,128 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Gentlemen,
This is a 17 year old thread.

Quick Reply: How to wire for lift in new garage?