C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 09:13 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated

Hi all,
Going to be running Hooker sidepipes on my '64. They make 3 finishes: chrome, black, and coated. I really like the chrome ones, but am afraid that since my car will be a driver they'll show their age rather quickly.

Leaning towards the coated ones. Anyone running them?
:cheers:
Old 10-17-2001, 09:48 AM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (GreaseMonkey)

I have no direct experience with Hooker sidepipe, but have had experiences
with my Mu$t@ng. Chrome headers tend to discolor (blue/yellow) from the heat. I put ceramic coated headers (from BBK) on my Mu$t@ng about 5 years ago and today they still look like they came straight out of the box. Of course, they weren't cheap, but worth it to me. Additionally, they aren't really exposed like side-mounted headers would be, but they seem to hold up well. I know there have been reports of certain manufacturer's coating peeling and flaking after numerous heat cycles, so I know not all coatings are created the same.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:58 AM
Mike66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coated? When I bought mine they came in either chrome or black. In asking around I was told that rust will more often than not become an issue. I got the black and had them Jet Hotted to (theoretically) prevent the rust problems. Even with that I am now getting little holes in the bottom of the tubes (after 7 years, though).

If Hooker now makes them already coated, I'd definitely go with that. Mainly for the rust prevention, but also because, to my taste, black looks way cooler than chrome. (I'm assuming the coating is black)

Oh, one more thing... with the black pipes the burns on the back of your calves will be less severe than with the chrome :D

Mike
Old 10-17-2001, 11:01 AM
jungleboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greasy and the rest of you nuts
I am considering the Hookers for my 67 as well, as an alternative to the GM style. Is there any other alternative to the Hookers, another manufacturer? The only Hookers I have seen in service are older chrome ones which look pretty beat up, but man, that black is so 60s.
Is the coating black? What is required to mount the Hookers (frame drilling)? My car is not an original side pipe car...
Thanks
JB
Old 10-17-2001, 11:19 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (jungleboy)

I don't think there are many mods. There are only two brackets that hold the tubes to the car (I think). There was a post here last week of some one putting the body on a blue '63 SWC that had them on. The side rocker moulding need cut though :eek: I think to get the pipes to pass. I picked up a used set of factory side pipe mouldings I'm going to try rather than cutting up my original rockers. Inner splash shields need to be removed as well I think( at least on the '64 they need to be).
Old 10-17-2001, 11:38 AM
jungleboy
Advanced

Greasy
I looked at Holley's application page - only for BBC?? I was planning a 383...
JB
Old 10-17-2001, 11:58 AM
Mike66
Instructor

The side rocker moulding need cut though :eek: I think to get the pipes to pass.
I don't think so. My car was an original sidepipe car so I had to buy a set of regular rocker moldings and the Hookers fit over them no problem. The used sidepipe moldings you have, if they're what I'm thinking they are, will still leave the frame exposed behind the Hooker pipes.

Mike

Old 10-17-2001, 12:13 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (Mike66)

Jungle Boy,
I had a guy check the parts for me at a speed shop. I know they still make them for SBC. Eckler's and Corvette Central sell them. I haven't been to the webpage yet. Planning on doing that tonight. :cheers:
Old 10-17-2001, 01:54 PM
ARed64
Racer

If I recall correctly, the chrome tends to discolor at junction points and near the engine. I remember reading somewhere a "tip" that if you spray the insides of the tubes with high tempature paint before installation, this will significantly reduce discoloration. I'm not sure if this actually works. You might want to ask Hooker and see what they recommend.

I think the Black versus Chrome look depends on the rest of the car. If you have chrome wheels, I like the chrome pipes better. If you have the 60s style American Racing type wheels with the dark spokes, particularly with flares and wide tires, the black seems to go better - kind of like the Grand Sport look.

Of course this is just my taste. All of this is subjective.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:18 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

i run a 427 in my 64 with hooker 4" chrome pipes. some blue near the collector but no other problems. the blue came with the car. maybe the previous owner had it running a little lean. so what big deal. all harleys that i see [the real ones] have some blue on the chrome. no big cosmetic deal. good luck. werner :cheers:
Old 10-17-2001, 03:12 PM
GaryC
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (wernerreis)

I am the one with the blue '63 that has the Hooker side-pipes (see below). I have not installed the rocker panels yet, but the instructions did state that the '63 will require modifications. I am not sure about the other years. From the instructions, it looks like the mod's are minor.

I did the same thing as GreaseMonkey and bought a used set. I have not modified them yet. I will measure things first, just in case I do not have to do any modifications.

I do think it is personal taste, chrome vs black. I've seen some chrome that after 5-7 years they didn't look bad. Like werner said, what’s the big deal of some bluing?

One other thing; They attach to the frame using existing holes (no drilling required). The design is pretty slick. The only problem I had was that the alignment of the side-pipe to the header has to be dead-nuts straight or they will not go on.

Gary

Old 10-17-2001, 03:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (GaryC)

Hedman built me a set of special under-the-frame-exit headers for my Grand Sport, and D&D supplied the (open, no baffles) sidepipes; 4" diameter, tapering to 3" under the frame at the collector joint to the headers. I had Jet-Hot coat the whole system, and it looked great. Once or twice a year I'd do the sidepipes with "Nev-R-Dull" wadding to clean them up and bring the gloss back.

Old 10-17-2001, 05:40 PM
bigblock66vette
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the black ones. I am going to have them jet-hot coated though. :)
Old 10-17-2001, 05:43 PM
Mike66
Instructor

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (JohnZ)

JohnZ,
How loud is it with no baffles? Would it be liveable for a weekend cruiser?
Old 10-17-2001, 09:22 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

JungleBoy,
Check out this website. It's the page for the sidepipe applications.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SH/SdeMnt.html

I'm seeing Chrome, Black, and Coated for SBC as well as BBC

:seeya
Old 10-17-2001, 09:28 PM
jungleboy
Advanced

Greasy
Thanks. I think I got lost in the "Engine Swaps" area... You guys are great. What a knowledge base!
JB
Old 10-18-2001, 02:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Mike -

It was loud as Hell, barely tolerable as long as you kept your foot out of it; took several 200-300 mile trips in it, used ear plugs. It wasn't too bad around town or just cruising, but it set off car alarms everywhere! Local cops knew the car well, tolerated it as long as I didn't get on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated

Old 10-19-2001, 04:04 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Don't waste your money on the Hooker ceramic coating. The Hooker sidemounts on my ZZ/502 are rusted and flaking after ONE season. The chrome side tubes are FINE! Go with the chrome Hookers, or get them coated (inside AND out) from Jet-Hot. I think you can buy the setup directly from Jet-Hot.
:chevy :chevy
Old 10-19-2001, 12:33 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

mike 66 wonders how loud the car would be with 4" hooker pipes and no baffles. mike, i had the standard baffles and it was too loud for street use, IMHO. i ordered a quieter set from hooker, non-reccommended, and it is still loud. i lost some power due to decreased scavenging, but i can look my neighbors in the face at christmas parties. WAY TOO LOUD WITHOUT BAFFLES!!! WHAT?? WHAT?? EH??? EH?? CAN'T HEAR YA.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:05 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated (wernerreis)

Been in contact with Jet-Hot coating this morning. They have this setup in their sterling silver finish SBC in stock, for $1200 to my door. Lifetime warranty on corrosion, 3 yr on finish. Still checking to see if this includes mufflers. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Hooker SidePipes - Chrome vs Coated