C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

replacing top

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replacing top

Has anyone done their own convetible top replacement on a mid year? I have a top that came with the car and I am thinking about doing it myself? Is it difficult or tricky? or am I better of getting it done professionally? It is an Al Knoch top.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Driver 61
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my soft top on my 61. I could not find any one with experance to do it.
After a lot of prep, and work it came out great. If your handy and have the time, do the prep and study.get the tape from Al Knock. I don't think anyone else will put in extra effort on prep. frame and adjusting that an owner will do.
most of the time and work is in the frame prep.
Good luck
Rich
Old 04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was glad to hear Driver's experience worked out well for him.

I have no direct experience, but a friend I grew up with did the whole Al Knock top and video thing with his '64. This guy is a professional body man and artist. His work is as good as it gets.

If I may quote him about the experience of mounting his own top, " I'll never do it again!"

Kudos to those who accept the challenge and wind up with a good result. On the other hand, I'll be following my friend's advice and have a pro do mine next time.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I've done a couple without the benefit of Al's video, takes a lot of time (for me, go slow, be positive about each step), but quite satisfactory results. I had written instructions, don't remember where they came from, may have been furnished with the tops. It's been a while back.

Just got thru doing a top on my daughter's Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS, it was easier than the mid year top. Part of the reason is that the later model tops usually don't have the cut/staple line at the rear bow above the rear window as the mid years do. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined I believe you'll have good results, especially if you have the Knoch video. Best of luck!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Sundevil64,

I do quite a few midyear tops. 6 or 7 so far this year. The Al Knox video helps quit a bit but there are problems and situations that he dosen't address. Like header problems (rust) replacing the tack strips, aligning the windows, etc. I will be glad to help you via e-mail or cell if you decide to tackel the job. A top usually takes me 12 to 20 hours depending on problems. PM me if you need help.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Default top

Thanks guys. Anyone want to sell their video? I'll look into getting that video.

I spoke with my Dad who had done one a while back, but his was on a much larger scale (61 Convertible Impala). He said it is okay, but if he can find a qualified person he would have it done by a professional.

I may get the video and see what is involved. I can figure most things out, but I am concerned about details like rust and tack strip issues. I will need to closely inspect my header first.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trying not to hijack this thread, but what does it typically cost to pay for this?

I am inclined to try it myself, but if it takes 20 hours for someone w/experience, how much longer would it take a 1st timer?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have replaced the top on my car three times and had some one else do it once. The first install was hard enough to make me give the next top to a shop. The second top was done by an upholstery shop and it had a lot of wrinkles. I struggled with them for 2 days until I reglued the top and reintalled the weatherstrip to remove most of the wrinkles. That's why I did the last two installations myself.

It's not easy stretching the new top material tight enough to fit the frame, get the wrinkles out, and keep it's shape in hot weather at high speed, but if I could do it by myself (with the written instructions in the Chassis Service Manual), anyone can.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 AM
f2023
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cost

Originally Posted by Joel 67
Trying not to hijack this thread, but what does it typically cost to pay for this?

I am inclined to try it myself, but if it takes 20 hours for someone w/experience, how much longer would it take a 1st timer?
I just paid $600.00 to have mine done. The shop redid the complete frame, and it looks great.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the $600 include the top or was that just labor?

Thanks
Joel
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
hogan64
Racer

I paid around $900 last spring to have a complete top and stripping installed. I had all the parts. They did have to do some "repair" work on the front of the frame, adjust the windows, etc. The top goes up and down perfect with no waves. I would pay the $900 again in a heartbeat. My installer said he does 3-5 tops a week on some very $$$ cars. No way in hell I could replicate his work.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Howy
Racer

I did my top myself,took about 25 hours not counting the reading and looking on the internet for info.Around here no one would give me a price and they all warned me that if it did not turn out well that there was no warranty.SO i thought if someone was going to mess it up it might as well be me.Turned out great.Don't rush,be patient and careful.
Good luck
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Sundevil64
Pro

Default top

Originally Posted by Howy
I did my top myself,took about 25 hours not counting the reading and looking on the internet for info.Around here no one would give me a price and they all warned me that if it did not turn out well that there was no warranty.SO i thought if someone was going to mess it up it might as well be me.Turned out great.Don't rush,be patient and careful.
Good luck
I am kind of here myself. It can't be that difficult, but I am sure there are tricks and tips to learn to do it correctly the first time.

Although, "Hogan64" probably didn't cuss like I tend to do when doing this kind of tedious and meticulous work.

Hmmm. Anyone know of anybody they can personally recommend in the central Texas area?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Dan Q
Advanced

Sundevil64 are you still looking for the top video? I can loan you my copy. sorry since I sold my car I've haven't checked back here very often. Let me know.
Dan
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did mine last week. I did all the unskilled labor part of the job, removing the old top, replacing all the tack strips, I took off the front bow, got rid of a little internal rust and painted it, and helped a pro install the new Al Knoch top with all new weatherstripping and nuts and bolts - came out great - not hard - just need a staple gun with ss staples - it is still up (been 4 days now) instructions day one week .... but ....tomorrow the Vert should be ready (after 7 months) it is now back to it's original state - red with a red/white A.K. interior - looks great - tomorrow the steering wheel, the tach cable in the distributor - very very difficuly to tighten - and new plugs - will start early - sorry about the hijack - got carried away.... Alex
Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
steve jarrett
Advanced

Default replacing top

I did mine from al Knoch after viewing his video. Came out good. It REALLY helps I think if you have a helper to stretch the top and underpinnings while you staple. It's doable by your self but easier and better if a helper is available I . Clean up the old bows, paint them, take your time and it should be fine. In addition, I've talked to a lot of people and even the best job in the world leaks somewhere. steve jarrett
Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Where to buy the video?/ I' a year off putting it on so thought i'd be ready?? thanks--Glenn pacifico

Get notified of new replies

To replacing top

Quick Reply: replacing top