C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alarm,The Club,Cuttoff Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
odqlesz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stumbled on my method by accident when I tried
to open the hood and the handle for the hood release pulled
off in my hand. I drilled a small hole and use a cotter pin to hold
it in place. So when I leave it anywhere, I pop the hood, take the
wire to the coil and remove my hood release handle.

They can't drive it away, but they can tow it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Put an empty holster on the passenger seat.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
bsultanof
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into a VIPER Security system. Remote key fob alarm with 1 mile range. Adjustable distance "radar" and impact alarm activation. If they somehow get past that and the try to flatbed it and move the car
10 feet it activates the alarm and remote. It knows this because
(and this is the best part) it has gps. If the car is somehow stolen, you can locate it from ANY computer. Far better than Lowjack.

As a matter of fact all the systems features can be activated by computer from anywhere in the world. So if you jet off to England and you forgot to set the alarm, just open your laptop.

It has a few more gimmicks but I will only bore you with one more.

For those of you who worry about carjacking, if you activate the system after you close the door and start the car, if you are forced to open the door and get out, the car will allow the threat to drive away, affording your safety, but will, unexpectedly, shut down the engine approx. 1 minute later surprizing the thief, who will probably run, leaving the car close, in good condition, and easy to locate. (from any computer and without having to activate Lowjack and have a Lowjack receiver get lucky and get within 2 mi. of the car).

There's more but I promised.

The VIPER GPS Tracking System by Directed Electronics.

Give it a look. Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
My rottweiler sleeps next to my corvette every night

......thats no way to talk about your wife.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Nothing will stop a crook with a tow truck though, aside from your own locked garage or strategic parking.
Truer words were never spoken!! So, after all the initial means of deterrence that have been mentioned, if you're really serious and want to spend the cash, look into the Viper system mentioned, or the LoJack. One of these appropriately hidden away will let you locate the car even after it's been loaded, flatbedded, and hauled away.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Ken Edgar
Intermediate

the switch located at the bottom of the brake handle that provides the ground to activate the emergercy light bulb -I use- to also ground the coil. If you then pull the handle out one or two clicks when you park, tha car wont start and a thief will go nuts looking for a cut off switch.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
bleu65vt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom454
Just a heads up..

Two terminals at the starter can be crossed with a screwdriver.
Common trick during troubleshooting. If you can see the solenoid terminal and the large battery post, you can jumper the two using a screwdriver and the engine will turn over. If you have stock ignition, a short jumper wire from the alternator output terminal to the + side of the coil provides spark. Between the two, the engine will run.

Edit... stock mechanical fuel pump required as well.
Good point. Power Lock uses a permanent sealed attachment to the solenoid, which should prevent any speedy hot-wire. The downside with the setup is that if the controller device goes bad, you can't easily start your own car. That happened to me, fortunately, in my own garage. I was quickly sent new a new controller. Of course, determination and time will work against most security systems.

Quick Reply: Alarm,The Club,Cuttoff Switch?