C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

can I do this ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:09 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default can I do this ?

I have a 383 stroker with an edelbrok performer manifold and I want to try install the ignition shielding . At least the main cover for the distributor and the two side pieces . Can this be done ? I really dont want to tap any holes but I would try manufacturing a bracket or two if needed . Has anyone done this . I dont have the original brackets so it might just be a question of getting them and bolting it all on .
Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't see why you can't most of the shielding is held on by bolts that are already installed in the motor. Then there are a few bosses that may not be there but they are not critical. Dave
Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Just buy the repro support brackets - they go under the rearmost intake bolts on each side, doesn't matter what intake you have.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
bleu65vt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like JohnZ says, get the repro support brackets. I used my original brackets on my ZZ383/425, with a small spacer for height to clear the MSD HEI ignition, and then easily bolted on the top cover and side wiring covers. I didn't use the plug shielding, as I have the Billet Specialties wiring looms for my ignition wiring.

Correction: I have the top cover installed, similar to toddalin. I have been under the car working on suspension so long, I forgot what I installed on the engine! Running my wires down into the Billet wire looms cleaned up their appearance somewhat, but provided some protection from the headers, as well. The looms mount cleanly to the two valve cover bolts.

Last edited by bleu65vt; 04-16-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Correction on installation
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
I have a 383 stroker with an edelbrok performer manifold and I want to try install the ignition shielding . At least the main cover for the distributor and the two side pieces . Can this be done ? I really dont want to tap any holes but I would try manufacturing a bracket or two if needed . Has anyone done this . I dont have the original brackets so it might just be a question of getting them and bolting it all on .
Voila!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
justatoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure You Can...........
Old 04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ign shielding

toddalin- Those pics are great , just what I want to do . What brackets did you have to use ? If I remember right there are 4 of them ?
Also since you have good pictures , do you have any showing the wiring on the fender to the voltabe regulator and alternator . Im swapping a single wire alternator (internal reg ) to an exterior regulator chrome one . I think Bubba might have goobered mine up .
I really like the look of your engine, looks tuff old school like !

Get notified of new replies

To can I do this ?

Quick Reply: can I do this ?