C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this brake booster Ok and worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this brake booster Ok and worth it?

I see these on eBay all the time. Forget the $$$....

What I'm wondering is if they really help braking and is there a noticable difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...11832005QQrdZ1
Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're asking about stopping distance... I doubt there's a difference. The advantage is simply that it's less strain on the right-leg muscles. Since it's an exact replica, it should work fine.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - I realize that drum brakes are drum brakes...

But if it means that there's less pressure required to make the standard brakes work, then maybe it's worth it. I like the dual Master Cylinder as opposed to my single MC.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I purchased one of these last summer from Corvette Central for $299 without a master cylinder. It works perfectly and is a close reproduction. You have to have the original and the repro next to one another to see the difference. In 1963, they used a completely different booster, and of course the master cylinder is different for the early C2's as it is a dual circuit they are offering on eBay. To me, the power brake is the only way to go, but mine came from the factory. If my car wasn't factory equipted with the booster, I would add it.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Joys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted my manual brake -66 into dual circuit booster exactly like this set, I am very happy with the difference! Bolt On, but I did replace all the brake lines.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I own a 69 with non power. Also a 65 that I converted to power several years ago. IMHO theres a huge difference and its worth every penny.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
bleu65vt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is an improvement in the braking. I had installed the double master cylinder a few years ago, which at least provided a front and rear system. When I began the suspension, running gear and ZZ383/425 upgrades, the shop owner drove my '65 and said the first thing to order was a power-booster unit, to my wife's delight. She had complained for years about the braking. So, I now have the setup as pictured on your e-bay site. I do have disc brakes front and rear, but it seems likely that the power-booster would improve drum braking as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this brake booster Ok and worth it?

Quick Reply: Is this brake booster Ok and worth it?