C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pulled Rear Suspension this weekend - Need Someone to Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 AM
BMS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled Rear Suspension this weekend - Need Someone to Rebuild

Pulled the leaf spring, rear trailing arms, and was thinking about pulling the driveshaft, differential and halfshafts. Not sure where to get them restored though. I was going to contact Tony's Corvettes in Gaithersburg MD and see what his costs are but I think he's more of a full restoration shop rather than doing individual parts. Driving distance 2 hours +/- from DC is preferable so I can drop off and pick up.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
6T5C2
Racer

Hey, there is a guy, Gary, on here out of CT that does an excellent job of rebuilding these parts. I can't think of his forum ID but do a search under Trailing Arm rebuilds or Steering pump rebuilds and he should come up. If not, I'm sure someone else will comment.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Rebuild

I am not from the DC area but at the very least, you should be able to have the half shafts and drive shaft rebuilt and balanced by any shop that does 4 wheel and front wheel drive vehicles. I had mine done locally and the cost was $120 for all six with Spicer joints. The price included balancing as well. There is someone on the forum that blue prints the rears. Do an archive search. The trailing arms can be rebuilt by Van Steel in Florida. I believe they will send you boxes for shipping. I used them for my trailing arms and was very pleased with their work. I did not have to ship, they are local for me. Good Luck. Jerry
Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5C2
Hey, there is a guy, Gary, on here out of CT that does an excellent job of rebuilding these parts. I can't think of his forum ID but do a search under Trailing Arm rebuilds or Steering pump rebuilds and he should come up. If not, I'm sure someone else will comment.
That sounds like gtr1999 .. Gary has posted excellence info, including pics, on rebuild projects here in this forum.

From the sound of reading Gary's various posts, over time, it would appear he comes from the 'it's just as hard to do the first time', school .. ..
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
theybot
Racer

Originally Posted by BMS
Pulled the leaf spring, rear trailing arms, and was thinking about pulling the driveshaft, differential and halfshafts. Not sure where to get them restored though. I was going to contact Tony's Corvettes in Gaithersburg MD and see what his costs are but I think he's more of a full restoration shop rather than doing individual parts. Driving distance 2 hours +/- from DC is preferable so I can drop off and pick up.
Not sure where your at or what car you have, but gtr1999 seems to be one of the most informative and helpfull guys on the form when it comes to those parts.
Toby
Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
427-390
Drifting

gtr1999 aka Gary, hangs out in the C3 forum. He posted a detailed description w/pics on how he restores differentials. Based on what I saw, I can tell you his work is very, very, good. Look him up, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
6T5C2
Racer

That's who I was talking about guys. He is very detail oriented just from seeing his posts and reading others thumbs up posts from him.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:46 AM
BMS
Instructor

thanks guys. I pm'ed him a couple days ago but haven't heard back. I'm sure he's busy. I'll wait a few more days and try again. I looked through his writeups. Does look like he knows his stuff and seems like a pretty good guy to boot. With guys like that I don't mind throwing my hard earned money their way.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You can also get it done by Bair's in Linesville PA. They send you a special reinforced box for shipping if you choose. Good luck! Dennis
Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS

Tony does individual parts....as well as full restos. Works on C5 and C6's too.

As per our PM, he's done the TArms and A Frames on both the 63 and 69, but I honestly don't remember the cost. Chuck
Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6T5C2
That's who I was talking about guys. He is very detail oriented just from seeing his posts and reading others thumbs up posts from him.
I just had Gary rebuild my steering gear and am certain if he rebuilds your differential it will be better than new. He is very meticulous and he is great at telling you how far along he is and when we expects to be done. Can't say enough good about the job he did for me.

Geek

Get notified of new replies

To Pulled Rear Suspension this weekend - Need Someone to Rebuild

Quick Reply: Pulled Rear Suspension this weekend - Need Someone to Rebuild