C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Show Car to become Daily Driver (Need Opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 66 I bought in 74, it has been through 3 paint jobs and engine rebuilds and until a couple of weeks ago it was an unhit driver. This happened, he pulled out in front of me, no insurance, but my ins company will write a check to whoever fixes it.

http://www.deliquescence.net/~tyler/misc/Wreck1s.jpg

I am having a local known for his show quality paint and body do the body and paint and it will be a driver when he is done. Drive the car let others enjoy seeing it.

Tyler
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 157 Posts

Both my wife and I decided that our '58 would be a driver. We have had show cars before and while it is initially fun to own one, the joy of driving your baby far outstrips the worry and sometimes fanaticism of keeping the car "perfect".

Many folks think we are nuts for driving a 49 year old vehicle any kind of distance. Our Vette runs great and is really a joy to drive. All I can say is that it gives us pleasure to drive along the highway and have folks stare or give us the thumbs up.

In closing, as you mentioned, it is your decision. Enjoy whatever you do and keep the Corvette spirit alive.

Fred
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are great. That's what I needed... A little encouragement. Yes, I will struggle to drive it and not care, but maybe it will be good for me.

I think I'll go for it, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I will struggle with the 1st and 2nd big rock chips..., other items I need to consider is my cooling. I have 2 electric fans, but I'm not sure if that will be sufficient in 115 degree stop and go driving...

Keep the comments coming,

James
Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 AM
VanIsle66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budget … My $.02? If day to day wear on your show car is going to take away from driving enjoyment, leave it a show car. You rightfully take pleasure and pride in what you’ve accomplished with that beautiful machine. At the same time, there’s nothing like a regular dose of C2 on a sunny day! So, if money doesn’t dictate an “either / or” decision, find a driver that you won’t mind taking out of the garage without a care. Show one, drive the other. Either way, have fun. No one promises us tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Any damage from driving can be easily fixxed here in Ohio - then again, probably not.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a Vette just to look at, there are plenty of books, photos, & posters that can be viewed or attractively displayed.

But, to get the full experience; buy it, work on it, take pictures of it, then drive it every nice day that you can; and it will then give the most pleasure to yourself & others.

It is a changing market, and I believe the next generation of Early & Mid-Year owners will not be nearly as particular about "correctness", but rather of its overall appearence AND "driverness".
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
tdelph
Drifting

Originally Posted by OverBudget
You guys are great. That's what I needed... A little encouragement. Yes, I will struggle to drive it and not care, but maybe it will be good for me.

I think I'll go for it, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I will struggle with the 1st and 2nd big rock chips..., other items I need to consider is my cooling. I have 2 electric fans, but I'm not sure if that will be sufficient in 115 degree stop and go driving...

Keep the comments coming,

James
If I understand your post...it sounds as though when you are at your second home you would like to drive the 63. I assume this is like a vacation home and you will only be there on nice days, vacation or long weekends. My father-in-law has an old caddy convertible he used to take to the beach home and he loved it. It wasnt damaged at all...just normal wear. Driving the vette is the fun part. Drive the vette. Remember what it looked like before you re-did it? Re-doing the car is also fun...so in about 5 years we will watch you rebuild this one.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 AM
ssgnco
Instructor

My $.02 worth. If you want to drive it, drive it. If you have the money, you can keep it "near-perfect" and put it back later if you really want to (or let someone else). But, I agree with those who think that cars are to drive.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

James,

Hope the encouragement pushes you over the edge to drive the car. I think I would even seriously consider driving it to Arizona.

Arizona should be the perfect place for the way you have built the car.

Rich
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sounds like you want to drive it. The options are drive it, sell it or turn it into a museum piece. Since money appears to be no object, I would drive it. Life is no dress rehearsal
I sold my 67 and didn't drive it nearly enough... wish I still had it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

James,

I would drive it, but only sparingly. I can tell you that there is no getting used to ANY rock chips. And rock chips are minor in the grand scheme of things.

I will be interested to see what you decide on.

Steve
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

IMHO.. Sell the show car and buy a High end driver.
I recently had a car built for me and my only dissappointment is that
I went overboard and built a car that is not/should not be a driver.
Yeah I drive the car once in while. But I obsess over weather,parking,rock chips etc...
How nice would it be to just get in and drive whenever/wherever you want with little or no worries?
Again just my opinion.
Scott
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Step 1--- Grab a creeper, jack, jackstands, a hammer, and a chisel

Step 2--- Raise your car safely with the jack, put on jackstands

Step 3--- Ever so gently...put a tiny (1/16" diameter) chip in the paint with the hammer and chisel in the front fascia where no one will ever see it from a normal vantage point

Step 4--- Enjoy the fact that no one else could ever put the first rock chip in your car.

Step 5--- Have a beer.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Ha Ha,

I like that last rock chip post!

Buying a driver wouldn't work. It's either drive the dream car I built, or keep it, take it on small cruises, and buy something else to drive.

I'm leaning towards shipping it and making it my driver. I'll be down here with family when school is out for kids (Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer).

James
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

When I lived in Phoenix full time I daily drove my 60 for 3 years. I did 2 power tour long hauls and almost never had the top on the car (hardtop only). I did have a covered employee only parking garage. You will always have a smile on your face. The Arizona forum crew is a great group and there are a lot of great weather days to drive. You will limit your driving during Monsoon season as the weather changes quick but this is very short. The only other recomendation I can give after seeing Tylers post is get an agreed value insurance policy with NO driving limitations. As they say hope for the best and plan for the worst. I hope I get a chance to see your car around phoenix as the photos look great!
TommyN
Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 AM
CRVT427
Intermediate

My car is 90% complete and hoping to be drving it in about 2 months. I did not want an original car because I wanted a driver. Once the car is complete, I'm taking a lot of pictures as this will be the best condition for the car. It will be downhill once I start driving it but I will be enjoying every moment of it. There may come a time when it may not be fun to drive my 67 so I'm going to enjoy now and not worry about the net worth of the car.

Most people lose money on cars and I'm admitting to myself that I'm going to lose money on my 67. I'm also losing money on my dirtbikes, jeeps, RV and other toys. I'll make up for the loss with my primary and secondary business. Good luck with our decision.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM
noelga
Racer

Overbudget
My car was built to be a driver.
It got a little out of control.
I think we are in the same neighborhood build cost wise.
I will show it when done but after that it will be driven on the street.
I can not see building your dream and then not enjoying it.
Don't you just love driving it?

Get notified of new replies

To Show Car to become Daily Driver (Need Opinions)

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't do it. Very bad idea. A second car is for running errands and convenience. You will not be happy carefully driving this car in crazy traffic and parking in crowded lots next to minivans with children. You know, the regular stuff you have to do every day. A fancy car like yours wasn't made for that. And you won't be happy using it that way. Will you be broke after you buy the Scottsdale house? If not, buy a regular second car, and make this the third fun car.

Big question. Scottsdale? Is your car air conditioned?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Drive it like it owes you money.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
kidvette
Pro

May as well drive it now.
Because when your dead someone else sure will.

Quick Reply: Show Car to become Daily Driver (Need Opinions)