C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Seat Upgrade

Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default C2 Seat Upgrade

I've followed the recent topics on upgrading the stock C2 seats. I've seen some great examples using C3, C4 as well as C5 installed seats.

I was on the fence on this upgrade (do like the '67 headrest add on that some here [Paul67 comes to my mind] have done).

Decided to go the C3 route using a set of '82 seats. I am just about finished with her. I do have to work the side bolsters more (needs additional foam to firm them up).

I went the "cheap" route on this. We'll see if the finished product looks cheap. I bought the '82 seats on FleaBay for $290.00. I took a chance and purchased the imitation leather seat covers ($179.00). Finally, I purchased some dense foam from a local "foam factory". I left the stock foam and covers on the '82 cushions and covered over them using the purchased foam and new covers. Before installing the buckets, I sprayed the shells and carpeted backside with Krylon Plastic paint in black.

Here's a rear view of the bucket shells bolted in place. I do have to shim the driver's bucket track on the right side as that bucket leans to the right. I think the height above the conv top cover is just right with these buckets. Your thoughts?

I was able to use the '82 seat tracks and the only modification I had to make was to have a 2 1/2" length of bar stock welded to the bottom of each track 7" from the rear of each track. The bar stock was 7/8" high by 3/4" wide. I ended up using my grinding wheel to slightly curve the edges. This enabled me to use the existing horseshoe rings the stock seat tracks slide into. I made sure when the stock was welded to have a 1/8" gap from the underside of the track for 1" of the bar stock's length. This enabled the bar stock to slide into those existing rings in the floor. I had to slightly elongate the holes on all 4 tracks to locate the stock bolt holes in front. Doing all this I avoided altering the stock floor mounts. No new holes.

I used Metal Ready and POR15 on all 4 tracks. Then liberally Slick50'd the tracks, working them till the slide with little effort.

Here's a shot of the pass bucket with the cushions in place

I'll post some more pics of the tracks and the bar stock added when I get the added foam in place on the bolsters.

Here's a shot of the bar stock welded to the tracks for 1 bucket.

Whatchathink?

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by 6T5RUSH; 02-26-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 78-82 seats are a lot more comfy than the 65 seats, and you don't have to worry about any motors going out like the later model C4 and C5 seats.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Howy
Racer

Here are mine,i just put them in last month.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model and year ar those seats, they look very nice. I have a 65 coupe and I'm looking at doing new seats. How hard were they to put in? Willing to share any details? Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Howy
Racer

They are from a 1997 corvette,I had to take the tracks off of them because i wanted them as low as i could get them.I am the only one that drives this car so the seats don't have to go ahead.I bolted them down were the tracks were bolted.The holes in the floor didn't line up but the bolts are still in the metal reinforcement in the floor close to were the original seats were bolted.

I can answer any other question you might have or post more pics if you like,let me know.

Howy
Old 03-09-2007, 10:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Here are pictures of my seat upgrade. They keep me from flying out the window, ya know?

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Seat Upgrade