C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 05:42 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor?

question , internsl or external sprng compressor ? which one ,& ANY OTHER TIPS ????????????????????? :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 05:57 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (StrayDog)

Internal definitely, but even these are a PIA. Easiest way is to make your own spring compressor out of "allthread". Get a length about 1/2 inch diameter, so it will fit through the upper shock hole. You'll need about 18 to 24 inches in length. Get a square of SS about 5x5 inches. Drill a hole in the center. Slip the plate between the coil...put the allthread through the hole and up through the shock hole. Use washers...tighten the bolts. Drop the lower A frame. Unloosen the bolts and un-compress the spring. You can also forget the spring compressor and loosen the lower A frame from the inside. Place the inner shaft on a floor jack. Then lower the floor jack to decompress the spring. Installation is the reverse. Hope this helps. Be careful....springs can kill you, or do serious damage to your bod. Chuck
Old 10-10-2001, 08:36 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (StrayDog)

internal, definitely.....and support the lower A-arm with a floor jack, chain, or something so that you don't get a nsaty surprise...that's not so much a problem with the mushy stock springs but if you're going with higher rate springs, you have to be careful....also, the spring compressor will compress the higher rate springs JUST enough to get them into the seats....

good luck :cheers:
Old 10-10-2001, 09:09 AM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (Kid_Again)

I just pulled the front springs out of the '65 about a month ago. I didn't need any type of compressor at all, just poped the ball joints (both so I could take the spindle out of the way) and lowered the A-arm all the way down (almost vertical) with the floor jack. A little jiggling once the arm was down and the coils came out fine.

As mentioned in some earlier posts, we found out my springs aren't stock Corvette, but unless your springs are significantly longer than mine (think they are 13-14 inches free length but don't have them here to measure) I'd expect they would come out the same.

-Greg
Old 10-10-2001, 09:19 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (GregP)

GregP......i gotta tell 'ya, i get REAL nervous around any compressed spring....i'd hate to tell anyone what is to be done but i'd never trust a coil or leaf spring unless i had it securely under control...but then again, i'm a nervous 'kinda guy
Old 10-10-2001, 09:59 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (Kid_Again)

I agree with KID AGAIN Saftey first.I have a freind with a dented head and a plastic nose from a flying spring that he thought was safe to remove.Also done with the car high in the air and a floor jack under the a arm.He said it was almost out and he just gently nudged it with a pry bar.After it hit him it went into the garage wall and stuck there.Cars are alot of fun but one secound of stupidity can be a life altering exsperence.(I know this as a fact personley)Hate to preach but You have to be carefull.Take no chance's.Always figure the worst can and will happen and have a plan if it does,Use jack stands even if your only going under the car for a secound,BE CAREFULL
Old 10-10-2001, 10:59 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (Ih2lose)

Ditto.

A good friend of mine had a very very similar experience. In his case the spring came out and parted his hair front to rear as it headed thru the garage window and dented a car parked outside. I can't remember what tools were being used, this happened 30 years ago at a garage where my buddy worked. Not some backyard operation, skilled mechanics were around and correct tools were plentiful.

Lots of sewing by the emergency room doctor to fix up Mikes scalp. He told us that if the spring was a few inches lower and hit the forehead it could have broken his neck and or mashed his frontal lobes! Death, veggie, blindness or a quadra!!!!!!!. Don't screw around with springs. Let someone who knows what he is doing do this stuff.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:27 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor? (TheOman)

internal compressor, standard type, borrow free from parts shop. safety first and always. and for god's sake, remeber to CURVE the spring with the compressor. when i finally figured that one out, i had the spring installed in ten minutes. without curve in the spring, the job is dangerous and virtually impossible. :smash:
Old 10-11-2001, 07:13 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Re: What does curve the spring mean

What does curve the spring mean I never heard that term

[Modified by Ih2lose, 6:21 AM 10/11/2001]
Old 10-11-2001, 09:04 AM
yooperod
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What does curve the spring mean (Ih2lose)

I think that means to set the spring compressor so it tightens up on one side of the spring first. That way the spring has a curve to it. It's A lot easier to install if the spring curves towards the center of the car rather then straight down.
rod
Old 10-11-2001, 01:54 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What does curve the spring mean (yooperod)

the internal spring compressor hs assymetrical hooks. depending on how you mount the tool, the spring will either compress striaght, or with a curve to it. the spring must curve towards the center of the car in order to have a fast and safe and easy installation. if you try a straight spring installation, i would be concerned about the spring flying at you as you raise the lower a arm and begin compression. use the curve, as it is recommended for gm springs.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:59 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Internal spring compressor is the only one that will work. You can make your own also as noted above. I rented one with the thinnest plates I could find. Still had to use a small crow-bar to remove the plates after the springs were installed. Safety note here: Do not remove any A-frame bolts until the springs are fully compressed, then it's a piece of cake. I didn't have the body on or engine in on mine when I removed the A-arm bolts. The foreward end of the frame launched a good 6 feet straight up when the bolt came out. Just missed my nose on the way up. The darn spring flew under my Mastercraft ski boat and ended up against the wall without too much damage to anything. Coulda been much worse. My spring is probably less than 12" installed but about 2' long when de-compressed. Makes me shivver when I think what could have happened. Be careful and it is very easy and safe..... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor?

Quick Reply: Putting new front coil springs in 66, what type sping compressor?