C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Kick Panel speakers and radio upgrade

Old 03-30-2007, 06:47 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Kick Panel speakers and radio upgrade

Just wondered how well they work. Are they in the way for foot room?
Are they worth it? I also wanted to send my stock radio out to get it upgraded. Anyone know a good place to do the work?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no problem with the foot room. It's better than the center speaker (or split center speaker mod), but still distorts when I want to play old Elvis at a "fun" volume. Don't expect a lot of performance from a 4x6 speaker... however, the distortion may be coming from the low power of the old Custom Autosound unit that I have installed in my 65. I think there's a whole 20 watts going to each speaker, and I think the speakers are rated at 100 watts each.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't have much bass response, but I have a pair of 6x9's in the back and I get a pretty good sound. Of course when I'm driving I can't hear crap because of the side pipes, but that's the best sounding music to me!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the kickpanels from CAS without the speakers, and then installed round Rockford Fosgate speakers. The sound of the CAS stereo with a 300watt reverb downstream is fine. Of course my headrests have speakers too.

I no longer use the CAS casette player. I plugged an ipod nano into the CAS auxiliary input jacks and don't have to deal with a pile of cassettes or CDs.

The foot room is fine, but my 66 has A-C and I'm glad I got the kickpanels empty and decided on round speakers, because the LH kickpanel would not clear the A-C duct. I cut the kickpanels and reglued the pieces to accept the duct and the round speakers.

Pictures in several locations on this web page:
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index5.shtml
Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the kick panel speakers in my 63 last year. Easy installation and no problem with foot room. They sound great. I also added 6X9 in the rear. I disconnected my original radio and put an Alpine 200 watt unit in the glove box. It operates from a wireless remote. Looks good sounds fantastic.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Pat Balch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy better speakers

I agree with MagicV8. I put a higher quality speaker (Infinity) in my kick panels and I can hear my music at 95 miles an hour with the top down. No distortion.

I guess I should mention you need a good amp also.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Default What about the radio?

Where is the best place to send my stock radio to get it upgraded to todays standards? CD jack and maybe a MP3 port.

Get notified of new replies

To Kick Panel speakers and radio upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kick Panel speakers and radio upgrade