C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

which C1 rear spring for a 62 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default which C1 rear spring for a 62 ?

i'm considering replacing my rear springs on my 62. after looking at the various vendors, and doing a google search, i see that there are 4-leaf springs and 5-leaf springs.

which do you recommend?
Bill
Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, I just replaced my rear springs on the 59 with 5-leaf springs from General Springs of Kansas City. They had pretty good prices and you can order off of Al Gore's internet. They were a perfect fit and brought the rear of my car to where there is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches clearance from the top of the stock tires to the wheel lip. I have 5-leaf springs on my 62 that were there from the factory and decided to go with the same on the 59.

The ride is stiffer, but not that objectionable. I have Monroe Sensatrac shocks on the rear. I installed new rubber bushings on both ends that I bought from Corvette America. I re-used all of the original hardware on the car, however, I did have a rear pin that didn't look to good when the rear shackles were removed. I re-used it, but will probably replace the rear shackles in the future.

My old springs were severely reverse arched on the front. I think my car had a previous drag racing life that caused the springs to deform.

Four or five leaf is your call. I like a stiff ride in all my vehicles, but that's just me. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

for the "correct" spring, I have used these guys and they were the ONLY ones to get it right (right down to the tapered and flipped ends) for my C2; I am advised they have correct springs for the C1s as well:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/index.html
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
i'm considering replacing my rear springs on my 62. after looking at the various vendors, and doing a google search, i see that there are 4-leaf springs and 5-leaf springs.

which do you recommend?
Bill
can't you just get them re-arched.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 141 Posts

Default I used the five leaf springs from ZIPs

I am still unsure if I really like them, they ride "bumpy" and the car really oversteers now! I was going to disconnect the rear sway bar to help the oversteer. It seems like they got a little smoother over time and we obviously dont bottom any more and my oldsprings were wasted, if I did it again I think I would go with the good four leaf springs. Your results may vary!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I admit that 62s are just beyond my C2 knowledge zone, but weren't the two leaf springs comprised of 5 leafs as originally delivered?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bill, As an update to my earlier response, I did a lot of research into purchasing my springs before I made the leap. My car had the original 4-leaf springs with the grooved main leaf that is no longer available from anyone. I contacted Eaton Springs in MI and spoke with them at length about what would be the best thing to do. They encouraged me to purchase new springs rather than re-arch my old springs as they said the cost just wasn't worth it in the long run. They indicated that re-arching was not a permanent fix. Their prices for 4 and 5-leaf springs were considerably higher than other vendors. Are they better springs? Is it better steel? I don't know. I do know this, if I have to use aftermarket springs that won't match the originals I took off of the car, what difference does it make? I'll just stow my old springs away for the next owner.

I felt good about my decision, and wouldn't have any hesitation to make the same again. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Coves4me
Their prices for 4 and 5-leaf springs were considerably higher than other vendors. Are they better springs? Is it better steel?
Yes they are better springs, made from better steel, processed exactly as the originals were, including trimming, forming, oil quenching, annealing, and shot-peening for durability. Eaton isn't just a "spring shop" - they're a spring manufacturer, with all the expensive process equipment to do the job right, with the correct metallurgy.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

John Z,

What was the reason behind the 4 and 5 leaf springs?

And were both offered in 62?

Plasticman
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have a set of rear 4 leaf springs. They need to be re-arched and redone. Not too bad now. There is still an arch in them. I have another set which are completely wasted. (wavy).
Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is a thought for you...
I bought Eaton when replacing the rear leafs on my '65 Mustang GT, because I wanted the exact GT specific parts.
I had gotten a tip from a guy that NPD sold Eaton and that they were cheaper than from Eaton direct? IIRC, when I checked they were about $40 less at NPD, so I picked them up at one of their locations when I was in the area and saved the $40 plus the shipping.
Maybe it's the same deal for one of the Corvette vendors?
Paul
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
John Z,

What was the reason behind the 4 and 5 leaf springs?

And were both offered in 62?

Plasticman
The original production spring was a 4-leaf; RPO 684 used a 5-leaf, and a quite different 5-leaf was available as a service replacement from 1960-1972.

The RPO 684 5-leaf had the bottom/short leaf flat (no groove), had no liners, and had six wrap-around clamps.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The original production spring was a 4-leaf; RPO 684 used a 5-leaf, and a quite different 5-leaf was available as a service replacement from 1960-1972.

The RPO 684 5-leaf had the bottom/short leaf flat (no groove), had no liners, and had six wrap-around clamps.

John,

Thanks!

My 5 leaf spring has the bottom leaf with the groove, and it has liners, and only 2 wrap-around clamps (both on the front section of the spring) so it is not the RPO 684, but I am curious what that was for. I don't find it listed in my Black Book. I do find a RPO 687 (Heavy Duty Brakes and Steering).

Update: Per the website that wmf62 found: The RPO 684 option was for mid 57 to 1959, and was changed to RPO 687 for 1960 to 62.

Thanks again,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 03-03-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Coves4me
Bill, I just replaced my rear springs on the 59 with 5-leaf springs from General Springs of Kansas City. They had pretty good prices and you can order off of Al Gore's internet.
Mark
i had stumbled upon the General Springs website when doing a google search. i wrote and asked them who their springs were made by and they said they made them up themselves, BUT if they didn't have them in stock they got them from JRS. i then wrote them back and asked who JRS is; so far, no answer.... (i did a google search for JRS and couldn't find anyone with that name in the spring manufacturing business)

their price seems to be comparable to the prices on some of the vendors websites, so i would guess that's where the vendors are getting their springs too, and i probably will do the same...
Bill
The following users liked this post:
caccobra (06-21-2019)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bill, I contacted Corvette America originally and they told me that their springs come from JR Spring Company. When I contacted General Spring of Kansas City, they did not have the springs in stock, but ordered them from S & G Enterprises, Inc of Philadelphia, PA. The part number was #21-213. They arrived very quckly from S & G via FedEx and were well packaged in one box. S & G is a distributor for JRS as the stenciled numbers on the springs match the ones I have seen on other JRS supplied springs. (Mopar friends).

The web site you need for JRS is johnrspring.com in Warren, Michigan. I know they also supply springs for JC Whitney and several other vendors. I am sure that Eaton Springs are a high quality spring, but I felt that for the money, I would go with the lower priced units. I am not disappointed with the quality of the springs I installed. Since it is impossible to get "original" looking spring leafs with the groove, I wasn't concerned with who made the springs. Like everything with these old cars, it's a matter of personal preference. Since I am not going to be NCRS judged, I made my decision based on my pocketbook.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Mark
thanks for the info. i found their website and sent an email asking about availability, type (# of leaves), spring rate and cost.
Bill
Old 03-03-2007, 10:16 AM
1961TUX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my springs from Eaton Spring directly after I took the ones back to Corvette Central. The ones from CC had "Made in Maylasia" stenciled on them- unacceptable to me. The front springs I ordered were from Paragon & it appeared they were in a Eaton box with the name cut off, therefore I believe you can get Eaton springs from Paragon cheaper than directly from Eaton. My $.02.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 1961TUX
I bought my springs from Eaton Spring directly after I took the ones back to Corvette Central. The ones from CC had "Made in Maylasia" stenciled on them- unacceptable to me. The front springs I ordered were from Paragon & it appeared they were in a Eaton box with the name cut off, therefore I believe you can get Eaton springs from Paragon cheaper than directly from Eaton. My $.02.
the Paragon catalog only lists a 4-leaf rear spring and i am 'kinda' interested in a 5-leaf (if it's not too stiff). Corvette Central, Corvette America, General Spring, S & G Spring and others (even JC Whitney) list a 5-leaf. i have written to all (except JWC) and am still waiting for info.....

the following information was taken from an article on the internet (http://www.libertyship.com/rpo/RPO1.htm) by Gerald C Wagner:

Heavy Duty Springs

The RPO rear springs had five leaves without anti-squeak liners compared to the four leaves on base springs which had impregnated cardboard liners. The four long leaves of the RPO springs have lengthwise grooves like the base spring but their short fifth leaf was flat. These rear heavy-duty springs generally have six heavy riveted retaining straps. A few springs have been reported with thin bands like base springs. The ratings in pounds per inch of spring travel were:

Front Rear
Base springs 300# 115#
1957-58 RPO 684 340# 125#
1959 RPO 684 and OTC 550# 145#

Early literature shows the 340# and 125# rates, but later '57 literature shows them as 550# and 155#. The part number on heavy duty springs never changed so we welcome more information on early spring differences. The consensus opinion is that all RPO springs, from inception, had the 1959 ratings of 550# and 145#.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To which C1 rear spring for a 62 ?

Quick Reply: which C1 rear spring for a 62 ?