C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Newby (to corvettes) questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
h20911
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby (to corvettes) questions

I have the op to work on a friends corvette that really does not need a bunch of work but needs some to be near perfect.

I really don't have any great manuals.
I have an AIM that is a copy manual.....poor clearity in most pics.
I also think the servive manual includes other stuff like chevelle that I don't need.
chiltons is well ....a chiltons.

Here goes:
the top has shunk and I was wondering if you can strech it back. with the back attached to the deck lid the bow is about 2 -3 inches from the header. with some lite force I can get to about an inch away.

is there a chemical I can put on it to soften it up and stretch it back.

also when they put the new top on the did not really clean up the frame....power coat black etc. can the top be removed without damage to it?

I have several other questions but I am currently seeking a decent manual before I let loose.

here is my car http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sdfranco/index.html

thanks for any help
Steve
Old 02-25-2007, 11:17 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What year??????????????

C2 Chassis Service Manuals are available from most of the vendors for 30-35 bucks. Money well invested despite the 'other' models being included.

Shrunk Top: You are putting it up wrong. First attach and lock the header bow to the windshield and then push down the rear.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Shrunk Top: You are putting it up wrong. First attach and lock the header bow to the windshield and then push down the rear.
Leave it up in the hot sun for an hour first as well before trying to lock it down in the back; should help.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Try aligning both the front pins with the holes and putting the header clamps in position with their lip under the bracket but without clamping them down. Then push the rear top pins in and return to the front to push the clamp shut on each side. Do this with the top warmed in the sun before starting. If the clamp takes a great amount of pressure to close because the top is too tight, don't force it or you'll need a new clamp. (don't ask how I know!)
Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
h20911
Navigator

thanks I will try it with the bow latches, then the back, then clamp it down method.

sorry it is a glen green 65 with saddle int.

is there a product that softens top other then the sun light if that does not work?

also can the top be removed from the frame with out causing damage to it?

thanks again
Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by h20911
thanks I will try it with the bow latches, then the back, then clamp it down method.

sorry it is a glen green 65 with saddle int.

is there a product that softens top other then the sun light if that does not work?

also can the top be removed from the frame with out causing damage to it?

thanks again
You might get additional top adjustment by removing the fiberglass panels at the rear side of the seats and loosening the two bolts holding the frame to gain a bit more adjustment. Pay attention to the gaps above the windows since this adjustment can make them better or worse as well.
There are top dressings you can buy to try to soften up the top but make sure you buy one for a vinyl top and not cloth. Someone here once mentioned a product sold at their BMW dealer that was good but I don't remember the name. Your local parts store probably has what you want as well. I've used Armorall on my pickup bed cover and it softens but don't think I'd use it on a Vette because it tends to wash.
Vert tops are stapled across rear under the welt and in front and also may be glued in spots. I think you'd destroy it trying to remove it but I'm sure others know more about this than me.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM
AL CURTIS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Painting Conv Top Bows

I have painted some conv tops like this .Mark the braket locations with a white marker or chalk.Remove the top bows and all.Lay it upside down opened up on a card table.Clean the bows off with prep-solv degreaser and clean off any rust .You can mask off the fabric befor painting I slid the masking paper under the bows and tape it to the fabric.I use NAPA interior black spray can paint it will go over lacquer it is semi-gloss.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Use a heat gun but dont scorch it to soften the top. It is easier to close the front latches after the back is secure. I believe the owners handbook suggests the same method.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
theybot
Racer

I like your 911. Does the V-8 ad much more weight to the back of the car? Has any one put a LS2 in there?
Toby
Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
h20911
Navigator

thanks Toby, and for all the replies.
I know of one guy that has a supercharged LS1 and a friend that has a twin turbo ZZ4 based setup.
Actually the weight is between a 911 engine and a 930 (911 engine with a turbo) so the difference in handling is not even noticable.

Get notified of new replies

To Newby (to corvettes) questions

Quick Reply: Newby (to corvettes) questions