C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 10:51 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder?

I have a 67 3x2 intake manifold (oval port) Minor welding had to bee done on a couple of the ears that attach the mainfold to the head. The work seems OK but the manifold was bead blasted before I got it and it looks good but certainly not original.

Anyone who reads my Soapbox Editorials knows I don't give a hoot for NCRS but the manifold could look nicer and I wonder if a powder coat or whatever could be done to it? Any ideas?

Some guy in California redoes the exterior with a process call "The ASL" process but he is a dork and I would not let him resurface my driveway he is so arrogant. I have seen his work and indeed it looks great but I just will not deal with the guy.

Any recommendations?
Old 10-08-2001, 11:13 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (TheOman)

TheO' -
I know what you mean about bead blasting just not looking quite "right." It does have a bit of an "artificial" appearance to it. The powder coating is nice, but it does not have quite the right sheen and color. I've been using Eastwoods "Aluma-Blast" paint in the spray can. This stuff really looks good, and actually looks just like fresh cast aluminum. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but the stuff is very good quality, and gives a great appearance to the manifolds. I did "kahuner's" intake with this stuff after I welded it up, and I'm sure he could send you a picture.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:40 AM
M.Y.Freak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been an ad recently in Hemmings (I think) from an outfit on the East Coast (N.J.?) that advertises reskinning/resurfacing intakes etc.
If you need contact info let me know I'll get it.
Regards, Bob L. ('63 under construction)
Old 10-08-2001, 12:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (M.Y.Freak)

I have a source for the same proprietary aluminum "re-skinning" process that ASL used - just had ALL the aluminum on my Z/28 engine (valve covers, intake, alternator, A.I.R. pump housing, etc.) done a few months ago. Send the stuff to Jerry MacNeish ( http://www.z28camaro.com ) - he also rebuilt my original "DZ" carb and distributor and rebuilt/re-plated my original brake booster. Pic below:

Jerry MacNeish's handiwork:

Close-up of carb and intake:

Jerry also does incredible aluminum welding/machining repair that is undetectable, race-quality rebuilds of engines, Muncies, 12-bolt axles, Delco point distributors, etc. Also owns the original Dave Strickler "Old Reliable" '68 Z/28 that was the NHRA Super-Stock National Champion in 1968, restored it, and runs it in NHRA "E"-Stock every weekend - 3300# car, runs 11.00's @ 122 with the factory-stock little 302. Tell him John Hinckley sent you.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:43 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (JohnZ)

John

WOW that really is good looking work. You da man. WOW AGAIN that is really really good looking work.

Lars: I have used Alumablast also on a manifold and it really did work very well. I think it was Aluma Blast. On the other hand I recently did another manifold and I honestly do not remember what kind of paint I used. It looked good but did not stand up well to the gas spilled by the carb that I could NOT fix no matter what I did. Carb made a great sound hitting the trash can though. Might be I am thinking about another product other than Aluma Blast when I think about the stuff that washed off with gas.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:48 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to try some "high heat resistant" clear, over the aluma-blast, or heat resistant silver and clear...
Old 10-09-2001, 09:21 PM
1_this
Advanced

JohnZ
Beautiful engine!

In a ball park figure... What am I looking to spend to do that to my 63?

Horace
Old 10-10-2001, 01:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (1_this)

Horace -

Depends on condition, but generally, intake re-skin is $100, valve cover re-skin is $75/pr., alternator (re-skin, complete rebuild, new dated diodes, etc.) is $145, booster (complete rebuild and re-plate) is $120, carb complete rebuild & restore is $275. All done to original specs and appearance, not to "car show-shiny" appearance. Jerry really knows his stuff, does super quality work.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:54 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

TheOman...'ya know, i was thinking about contacting lars on just this point but i recently decided to go with powder coating.....i did the tripower manifold, the feulie manifold, plenum and plenum cover....i'll post some pics when i get time but i really like the look (according to NCRS, they ALL came from the factory like that)....about a buckanahalf for the whole thing......the powder coating is clear coated, i talked to a bunch of locals who did this before and they've been very happy with the results but it seems like powder coating manifolds, due to the engine environment, is a real art and it took the guy a while before he was satisfied....
Old 10-11-2001, 06:55 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (Kid_Again)

Ok. I will wait and see. Friend of minehad some alumin Ford valve covers done by a shop in Atlanta. Came out really nice.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:04 AM
rdys67
Advanced

I had done my manifold about 5 mo. ago. I also had mine bead blasted. I work in a manufacturing shop that does powder coating and plating. It is recommended to pretreat the manifold befor paint or the paint will not hold up very long. I pretreated mine with clear cromemate and skipped the paint process altogether. Looks great and has held up well.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:25 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (rdys67)

What is clear chromate and where does one get it? Never heard of it.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know what NCRS source told you that intakes came originally powder-coated, but that is not the case; there was no coating of any kind on aluminum intakes - they came in normal "as-cast" finish, and were masked off during engine painting. There are lots of ways to enhance appearance and make the surface easier to maintain, but from a strictly judging perspective (if that's your goal), the standard is "original as-cast" surface. Jerry MacNeish recommends using spray brake-clean on a rag to keep "re-skinned" aluminum parts clean.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:00 PM
y2k4us
2nd Gear

To Lars & Oman I have a source aluminum reconditioning in So. Ca. that produces that as cast finish without paints or coatings. I dont trust sending my '67 400 intake to some unknown shop so I hand delivered it. Found out he does work for Corvette parts dealers that advertise restoration. My e-mail is y2k4us@dellepro.com
Old 10-15-2001, 01:50 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (y2k4us)

I had my aluminum intake done by Jerry Macneish also and was very satisfied. It looks stock.

Regards, mark :flag :chevy
Old 10-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...sorry JohnZ...my usual sarcastic humor showing through on the powder coat comment :rolleyes:
Old 10-15-2001, 09:40 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder? (Kid_Again)

Gotta watch that stuff when you are from the North East ......specially Joisey you MF'er. Livin here in the genteeeeel refined South I can get in trouble with just a saccastic look on my face.

Keep Smiling

By the way, what exit of the Pawkway are ya livin near? How about them Giants? Been down the shore lately?

[Modified by TheOman, 7:45 AM 10/15/2001]
Old 10-15-2001, 07:22 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...'ya know, 'ya try and teach the little folks and all you get is grief!!! :D

fwiw, i live OFFAEXIT4ODDATURNPIKE, and YEAH, i been downa' shore, matter of fact, i wasdownashore this past weekend degreasing what i could find on the frame.....'ya know, drinking martinis at 8:30am kinda' scandalizes the neighbors...they'll get over it :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder?

Quick Reply: For Lars: Alum Manifold resurfacing / Ceramic / powder?