C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Convertible w/ Full Power and A/C Value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I hope your next post is announcing that you've purchased this car and have it sitting nice and safe in your own garage.

If you buy it can you please photograph the hell out of it and post the pics for us to see? Or maybe put them in one of those Webpic kind of places?

I have a car built within days of this and mine is also Silver Blue with the Dark Blue interior. Those photos could come in real handy.

Thanks and Good Luck, Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Those wheels sure look like original K-H's to me. WOW !
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
pda1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I know this may be a rare car, but one thing to check out before plopping down big bucks is the condition of the birdcage/windshield supports.

A search of the archives will show you what to look for, but if this area is rusted out, then "restoration" takes on a whole new meaning and it can be awfully expensive to repair unless you can also do it yourself.

I sincerely hope that you will be pleasantly surprised when you check and things are fine, but the picture looking at the trim tag shows some rust that may be indicative of worse problems. To me, I'd rather find it out now rather than later.

Just my thoughts, Good Luck!

Paul
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:40 AM
F1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
Any update?
Sorry for the late update.. it has been one heck of a week.. Finally got a breather.. Well I still am in negotiation with the owner.. To be honest, he feels the car is worth 50k as it sits..

The condition of the car… He started a repaint only restoration back in the 80’s, so and has been in storage since then and not finished being put back together.. Then in 2004 the storage looked like it might get some water in due to the storms, so the car was brought to higher ground.. Now it has been sitting outside like this for over 2 years with the windows down.. I just can’t believe how some people could do this… Think their stuff is worth a million dollars but treat it like a 2 dollar……….you know.

Anyway, I am still pursuing the purchase, and trying to bring him to reality.. Yes the car is Very Rare and all there.. but 50k?? It would probably take 3k just to get put back together and running/drivable.. Good thing is… it is not advertised and he is giving me first option so we will see how it pans out.. He seems to think this is a $200+ car after restoration.

Dave
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like the owner's mind is dead set on the $50,000.00 and it's probably going to be a tough nut to crack. I know of several cars here in New Jersey that are sitting outside, in fact, there is a '63 coupe down the street from me that's been sitting for at least 15 years uncovered and I stop by on occasion to see if the owner will change his mind about selling the coupe but, it's always no. It's unfortunate that there are people out there that see or hear from other people that their car is worth a fortune and yet they let the car sit outside. They do not realize the harm being done to the vehicle while it's sitting outside and the costs incurred to repair the vehicle. Most of them need a reality check. This is why I think that these online auctions has really changed or skewed the way people think about owning antique cars. Good luck in your pursuit of the '63.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by F1
Anyway, I am still pursuing the purchase, and trying to bring him to reality.. Yes the car is Very Rare and all there.. but 50k?? It would probably take 3k just to get put back together and running/drivable.. Good thing is… it is not advertised and he is giving me first option so we will see how it pans out.. He seems to think this is a $200+ car after restoration.

Dave
The guy is suffering from an advanced case of Barrett-Jackson-itis, and is living in a dream world; you'll have $20K in it just to get it running and usable. I'd pass on it and keep looking - you can find lots of nice drivers you can enjoy immediately for less than $50K.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Don SSDD
Racer

I'm curious if it had power locks since they were not an option? Noland Adams also says "as far as we can determine" no 63 was delivered new with factory installed knockoffs (with the possible exception of s/n's 1-25).

The question what it's worth in its present condition has to be answered by you. What someone else would pay for it is certainly a guide for you, but the bottom line is what are you willing to pay and what is the seller willing to accept.

I think the way things are today, its "worth" (defined as someone would pay him that for it) $25-50,000, depending on if whats there is original and on what is reusable or needs replacing.

Don
Old 02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
steinboy56
Racer

$50K seems like a lot to me for that car. I would be very cautious of anyone who would let a rare car like that dissolve into that condition.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I agree with JohnZ, the man is in la, la land. Pass on the car, spend your money on something more realistic and drivable. At least suggest to the man to cover the car. Dennis
Old 02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously he doesn't want to sell it and he won't sell it to an informed prospective buyer for that kind of $$$$.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 PM
AffordableFirepower
Intermediate

hopefully you can work out a deal with this guy, thats the type of find most all would kill for. Congrats.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

The guy is nuts. A/C or not that car is too far gone. And it's a 250hp base engine with powerglide?

$20,000 ...maybe $25,000 is waaaay generous for that car as it sits.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
F1
Heel & Toe

Update….

Well it is with great Excitement that I can bring this thread back to life.. As of yesterday she has a new home!! Story goes - I just happen to be about 5 miles away from that neighborhood a few weeks ago to buy some parts for my Chevelle and said to myself. “Let me go by to see if that Vette is still there”.. Low and behold, it hasn’t moved.. I knock on the door and the older gentleman looks at me and said your business card is still on my desk and was getting ready to contact you. Good thing I stopped by because my old numbers are disconnected. Anyway fast forward to yesterday and It rolled off that yard and into the trailer for a 14 hour day of tinkering, inventorying, and cleaning.. The car has been off the road since 1980. I tried to decode most of the components on the car and they all appear to be the originals down to the carb.. Plan on getting it running and driving as it is, have some fun with it. Then look at pulling it apart to do a frame off. I do all my own work so the fun (and my questions) now begin!

Dave

Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

AWESOME!

Persistence pays off! Please keep us up to date with your progress!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Dave,

Congrats on your deal.

Not until I saw your post today, I didn't realize you looked at it in 2007. As I started reading the first post, it became clear this was the same car I looked at. I spent several hours a few years ago looking at it with the owner. Fort Pierce?

Please keep us updated on the progress.

Rich
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Congrats. Lets start a new thread when developments continue.

Quick Reply: 63 Convertible w/ Full Power and A/C Value?