C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Illinois Junk Car Bill

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Illinois Junk Car Bill

I received this note from Hagerty Insurance today regarding proposed legislation in Illinois that affects our hobby. I'm posting it here for the benefit of fellow Illinois Forum members.
Illinois Junk Car Bill

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) sent Hagerty Plus the following Legislative Alert this afternoon to share with our customers and agents immediately. If you have any questions regarding this alert, please call or email Rory Carroll, Hagerty Plus Legislative Resource Director at 800-922-4050, x8407 / Advocacy@hagerty.com or Steve McDonald, SEMA Vice President of Government Affairs at stevem@sema.org.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Backyard Vehicle Restoration Jobs Under Siege Again In Illinois

A bill (H.B. 367) has been introduced in the Illinois House of Representatives by Rep. Jack Franks (jack@jackfranks.org) that would further restrict the ability of Illinois vehicle hobbyists from maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property. H.B. 367 would redefine “inoperable motor vehicles” to include vehicles incapable of being lawfully driven on state highways in full accordance with Illinois vehicle laws. The bill would also expand the definition of inoperable vehicles to include dismantled and unlicensed vehicles. Under current law, localities may authorize fines and disposal of inoperable vehicles on public and private property.

Contact House Executive Committee Members (List Below) Immediately To Request Their Opposition to H.B. 367

H.B. 367 would give local authorities an inordinate amount of power in determining the disposition of inoperable historic project cars.
H.B. 367 would make it virtually impossible for Illinois hobbyists to maintain inoperable collector vehicles on private property.
H.B. 367 demonstrates a clear disregard and lack of understanding of the vehicle hobby and the rights of hobbyists.
H.B. 367 makes no legal distinction between an owner using private property as a dumping ground and a vehicle enthusiast working to maintain, restore or construct a vehicle.
Please contact members of the Illinois House Executive Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 367.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Illinois House Executive Committee

Daniel J. Burke
Email: burkedj@legis.state.il.us
Phone: 217/782-1117
Fax: 217/782-0927

Joseph M. Lyons
Phone: 217/782-8400
Fax: 217/557-1934

Dan Brady
Email: dan@rep-danbrady.com
Phone: 217/782-1118
Fax: 2147/558-6271

Edward J. Acevedo
Email: eacevedo@hdsmail.state.il.us
Phone: 217/782-2855
Fax: 217/782-7762

Maria Antonia Berrios
Email: rep_berrios@yahoo.com
Phone: 217/558-1032
Fax: 217/558-7112

Robert A.Biggins
Email: bobbiggins@comcast.net
Phone: 217/782-6578
Fax: 217/782-5257

Richard T. Bradley
Email: rbradley@hdsmail.state.il.us
Phone: 217/782-8117
Fax: 217/558-6369

Brent Hassert
Phone: 217/782-4179
Fax: 217/782-5257

James H.Meyer
Email: jhmeyer@msn.com
Phone: 217/782-8028
Fax: 217/557-0571

Robert S. Molaro
Phone: 217/782-5280
Fax: 708/354-0743

Robert Rita
Email: robertbobrita@aol.com
Phone: 217/558-1000
Fax: 217/558-1091

Angelo Saviano
Email: skip@saviano.com
Phone: 217/782-3374
Fax: 217/557-7211

Arthur L. Turner
Phone: 217/782-8116
Fax: 217/782-0888

If you are experiencing any difficulty in contacting your legislators, please contact Rory Carroll, Hagerty Plus Legislative Resource Director, at Advocacy@hagerty.com or 888-310-8020.

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at Advocacy@hagerty.com or fax: 231-932-6887.

Thank you for your commitment to the future of the collector vehicle hobby.

Sincerely,

McKeel Hagerty

Unsubscribe | Manage Subscriptions | Forward to a Friend

INSURANCE | ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE | FINANCE | HOBBY RESOURCES

Hagerty | 888-310-8020 | 141 River's Edge Drive, Suite 200, Traverse City, MI 49684
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like every year in New Jersey some politician(crook) tries to get a bill passed regulating old cars (clunker laws) but, so far none of them have passed. It's only a matter of time before they get them passed.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 PM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently "Jack" hasn't heard about the illegal alien problem in Illinois.

Nice set of priorities you have there "Jack"!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

One of the reasons I left Illinois (the politicians think they are a cross between New Jersy and the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, but a tad more crooked than both combined).

And they probably will take that as a compliment.
Plasticman
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

A bazillion years ago in Illinois it seems, I had the engine out of my '67 coupe. I rolled the car out of the garage and had it next to the garage so I could work on the engine and other things in the garage, back when leaving a Corvette outside wasn't a sin. A week later, the town sent me a police notice that I had something like 10 days to remove the "junk Chevrolet Corvette" from my property.

I don't know if they were doing the usual harassment or if they were hoping they could get their own Corvette by confiscating mine.

I showed up at the police station a couple of days later to complain that a neighbor was parking his cars in his yard and what could be done. The officer explained as long as they were licensed and the city tax paid, nothing. There was no law against it.

I asked that he show me these in the books and he did, which I then asked for a copy, which he gave me.

I then sent a copy to the town and told them to leave me alone before I sued for harassment.

They were stupid, but unfortunately, they are the pains in charge.

And they don't really go after the junkers and the problem makers, just the hobbyists.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I keep on my private property is none of the governments business.

P.S. What is up with Chief Illiniwek?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the liberal politicians in my home state are learning from their left-wing brethren in my "adopted" home state. Every once in awhile an intrusive law like this comes up in CA and we have to get together and rebuke it. I hope the good people of Illinois do the same.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
P.S. What is up with Chief Illiniwek?
As a mascot, he's been relegated to history, just the same as the name of the team from Pekin IL, the Pekin ******.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

This another good topic for discussion. Let me preface everything I say by saying I trust or have faith in NO politician. However, is this proposed bill aimed at real car "hobbyists" or Junior the junk man who lives in a middle class residential neighborhood who just happens to have fifteen 1988 junk Ford Tauruses in his front yard. It sounds to me the local governments need to adopt a new city/county ordinance limiting the number of "inoperable" (I prefer classic) vehicles one can store outdoors per a certain area of land rather than enact a new law. That's exactly what everyone needs, a new law.

It just takes one inconsiderate idiot to bring down an entire neighborhood's value. I'm from and currently live in a rural area and the level of absolute stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Neighborhoods or other parcels of land that were intended for residential or agricultural use shouild not be allowed to become junk yards. I believe that what a person does on their own property is their own business. However, when that person's activities starts adversely affecting my property value I feel as though I should have some right to speak up.

Considering how well the old ones work, new laws seem to be useless and un-needed. If a politician really wants to do something good he or she ought to committ themselves to getting rid of some of the old unnecessary laws. I would agree a more urgent cause would be to attack the illegal alien problem Illinois may have rather than going after legitimate tax payers.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
bk2w
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

It's interesting to read the text of the proposed law, and compare that with the SEMA statement. Two things pop out.

Paragraph b says
<cite>Nothing in this Section applies to any motor vehicle that is kept within a building when not in use, to an operable historic vehicle over 25 years of age, or…</cite>
Yet SEMA seems to think these allowances still make it "virtually impossible" to keep collector vehicles.

Even more significant is paragraph c:
<cite>"Inoperable motor vehicle" does not include a motor vehicle that has been rendered temporarily incapable of being driven under its own motor power in order to perform ordinary service or repair
operations."</cite>
Which seems pretty clearly to include the idea of an "enthusiast working to maintain, restore or construct a vehicle".

I really dislike laws that limit what I can do on my private property. I hate that local laws around me require me to have wheels on my cars when they're in the driveway (can't have them up on jacks for more than a couple of days) even if I'm actively rebuilding the engine in the garage at the moment the office comes by with the citation. It's asinine, and gives my neighbors and law enforcement a lot of power to harass me. And I do hope for Illinois hobbyists that the bill gets killed.

I’m also reminded that lobbyist organizations like SEMA have a very vested interest in the passage or defeat of some of these laws, and rarely hesitate to mischaracterize the law when it serves that interest.

-Brian

Last edited by bk2w; 02-22-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bk2w
I really dislike laws that limit what I can do on my private property. I hate that local laws around me require me to have wheels on my cars when they're in the driveway (can't have them up on jacks for more than a couple of days) even if I'm actively rebuilding the engine in the garage at the moment the office comes by with the citation. It's asinine, and gives my neighbors and law enforcement a lot of power to harass me. And I do hope for Illinois hobbyists that the bill gets killed.
I lived in a house that had the entry to the garage from behind. It was great. I could comfortably leave the garage door open without fear of someone running in to steal stuff or everyone driving by knowing what I was doing. It was a car guy's dream.

I hate having to work in the front where everyone passing by sees what you have and knows your business.

I see this bill, if it becomes law, a means for people to abuse the power and harass car people. Maybe they can't get you for the exhaust noise or the attention you draw, or maybe they can't afford one, but they can make your life miserable to get even.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I haven't even heard about this latest bill, Thanks and what total b^^**** . The land of the restricted but still the home of the brave
Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Thank goodness our public servents are there to protect us against all those car hobbist. Jeeze,and to think about all the money the state is losing in tax dollars....those boys could be out at the bar drinking and driving around drunk,,,,just look at all the fines they are missing out on.

Get notified of new replies

To Illinois Junk Car Bill

Quick Reply: Illinois Junk Car Bill