C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 427 L-89 Corvette

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Chick and Rob...you guys are the bomb...whatever that means...heard it from my grandson...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I worked at Selman Chevrolet in Orange, California the summer of '67. Don Gavel was the "Corvette" salesman, seemed like he was selling about one per week. His personal '55 was in magazines back in the day, all stock except candy apple red paint and four Torq-Thrusts with big Goodyear Blue Streak race tires the six could spin, if he started in a puddle! Active in Corvette Club activities, Don was kind of the "Bob Wingate" of Orange County.

His "demonstrator" company car was a Goodwood Green coupe with disc-brake clearance Torq Thrusts and Blue Streaks. I once drove it to a local shop and back for some minor attention, forget what it was. The clutch was a bear compared to regular 427/435s, and as I recall it was supposed to have "rare aluminum heads". Looking back, I suspect it might have been an L89.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
I worked at Selman Chevrolet in Orange, California the summer of '67. Don Gavel was the "Corvette" salesman, seemed like he was selling about one per week. His personal '55 was in magazines back in the day, all stock except candy apple red paint and four Torq-Thrusts with big Goodyear Blue Streak race tires the six could spin, if he started in a puddle! Active in Corvette Club activities, Don was kind of the "Bob Wingate" of Orange County.

His "demonstrator" company car was a Goodwood Green coupe with disc-brake clearance Torq Thrusts and Blue Streaks. I once drove it to a local shop and back for some minor attention, forget what it was. The clutch was a bear compared to regular 427/435s, and as I recall it was supposed to have "rare aluminum heads". Looking back, I suspect it might have been an L89.
Interesting! This has been a great thread as most C2 lovers have read about them but never knew what is out there.
And Nick, not sure if being a bomb (as your grandson states) is a good thing or not Guess Rob and I will take it as a compliment.
Does anyone have pictures to share of any of the real L89's???????
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Guess Rob and I will take it as a compliment.

Heck yeah it is.

Nick,

Share a couple of these videos with your grandson and let him know this is what she'll sound like when you're done:

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Rob, you KNOW I just love those videos! I go out to YouTube about once a week just to play those. I think those are what changed my mind from building the L88 to building the L89...soooooo sweet!!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

So what was the performance advantage over an L71? I perceived the L89 as an upgraded L71 with aluminum heads. I always thought the tripower setup was very cool. I bet it's a pain in the butt to service/tune.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey that blue car has a bad miss at idle it's popping and carrying on like a miss in it !!! Stewy
Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
So what was the performance advantage over an L71? I perceived the L89 as an upgraded L71 with aluminum heads. I always thought the tripower setup was very cool. I bet it's a pain in the butt to service/tune.
The only real advantage for the L89 over the L71 was weight. Less weight equals more performance.

As for the L71 being a pain to service & tune - not really. The center carb is the only carb to tune on idle. There's little to do with the outside carbs as they were vacuum controlled. The problems one can run into with this setup are the same problems any Holley set-up had - but here you have three of them. The center carb over time would exhibit metering plate warping and thus leaking.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Jet Thomas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew Papsun
How many of the Corvette models that were sold with the L-89 aluminum head option still exist today? There was the Goodwood Green ex Ed Cole coupe offered recently. Also someone in Florida had a pair of L-89 coupes for sale in Marina Blue and also Yellow some time ago. Jerry Heasley found a Red L-89 convertible using a reverse serial number search. The current owner was not aware of the history for that Corvette...
Seem to remember something about a Tuxedo Black L-89 coupe in PA or MA.
Can any of the experts add to the list of L-89 factory 1967 Corvettes that still exist today? Thank you.
Charles[/QUOTE

Hello Charles,
I have been doing research on these Corvettes for over 25 years.
I have documentation on 9 of these. Todate 11 real cars break down
(5) coupes and (6) convertibles. The other (5) are out there.
That is all for NOW.
Regards,
Drew Papsun

Drew, If you have a '67 Marina Blue coupe w/ Vin #194377S113522 listed as a L89, it's a fake. Same car that the guy had in FL w/ the yellow cpe. Same car that Corvette Museum had for awhile. This car is currently for sale on the www.supraforums.com site. This car has been passed around as the real deal since the early 80's. I've know this car since 1972. I've had several friends who have owned this car and one who drag raced it. I have driven and worked on this car at my body shop in the 70's. If anyone wants to know the full history of this car I can put you in contact with a guy who the full story from day one. Later, Jet
Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
John 66 Vette
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Of the 16 made, I think about 40 still exist.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch. Interesting history on this car.

Originally Posted by Jet Thomas
Drew, If you have a '67 Marina Blue coupe w/ Vin #194377S113522 listed as a L89, it's a fake. Same car that the guy had in FL w/ the yellow cpe. Same car that Corvette Museum had for awhile. This car is currently for sale on the www.supraforums.com site. This car has been passed around as the real deal since the early 80's. I've know this car since 1972. I've had several friends who have owned this car and one who drag raced it. I have driven and worked on this car at my body shop in the 70's. If anyone wants to know the full history of this car I can put you in contact with a guy who the full story from day one. Later, Jet
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
altremblay
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L89 . Buyer beware

the 1967 marina blue coupe is for sale in vette vues magazine
Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 PM
B43
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sub006

Hi Guys, I’m new here, I’m doing this for a friend who is not computer savvy , I was reading up on Don Gavel & would like to ad something that my friend has knowledge of, in a question form!

First, does anyone remember that Don Gavel bought a brand new 1969 L88 4 speed T-Top dark green from Selman?

Second, does anyone remember this L88 sitting in Selman`s showroom for around a year ? Before Gavel bought it ?
I hope to shake up some memories !
Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 67 Block

Originally Posted by Drew Papsun
How many of the Corvette models that were sold with the L-89 aluminum head option still exist today? There was the Goodwood Green ex Ed Cole coupe offered recently. Also someone in Florida had a pair of L-89 coupes for sale in Marina Blue and also Yellow some time ago. Jerry Heasley found a Red L-89 convertible using a reverse serial number search. The current owner was not aware of the history for that Corvette...
Seem to remember something about a Tuxedo Black L-89 coupe in PA or MA.
Can any of the experts add to the list of L-89 factory 1967 Corvettes that still exist today? Thank you.
Charles[/QUOTE

Hello Charles,
I have been doing research on these Corvettes for over 25 years.
I have documentation on 9 of these. Todate 11 real cars break down
(5) coupes and (6) convertibles. The other (5) are out there.
That is all for NOW.
Regards,
Drew Papsun

Hello Can you chime in on this Block Thread 1967 L89 block not 3904351
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default l89

I have a black and tan coupe, told it was l89 when I bought it 20 some years ago. California car with AIR , intake looks right as does the v cover with the air brkt. on it and the right exhaust man. Original paint and leather inter. Dec build time. Oh ya, only option, PW.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 90067
I have a black and tan coupe, told it was l89 when I bought it 20 some years ago. California car with AIR , intake looks right as does the v cover with the air brkt. on it and the right exhaust man. Original paint and leather inter. Dec build time. Oh ya, only option, PW.
A real black on saddle coupe? Love to see pictures of it. I just finished restoring a black on saddle coupe with my dad early this year.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default L89 time

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
A real black on saddle coupe? Love to see pictures of it. I just finished restoring a black on saddle coupe with my dad early this year.
Yup, lets dig in a lil deeper would love see pics also.
when built does it have the original block, if not its just fine with me.
Thanks Ed
Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Interesting old thread I never noticed before......

I believe one more L89 exists, as I have had the opportunity to see it up close and I know the owner. Last time I inspected it at his request, but casually with many photographs, was about 4 years ago.

It's a silver coupe with black interior. For privacy, I will not specify personal information or car data, only that the owner has owned it for around 30 years and is well documented from then.

It's a very special car and after meeting him years ago through another friend, I saw him again at a local car show down here then, a monthly cruise night. I looked down the row of cars and there it was. He drove it over to the cruise night. Stunning car.

He and I spoke for quite a while and I couldn't believe he drove it over. He has a small collection of cars and is a real car-guy. At the time I was restoring a L71 and needed to verify the new hood paint stripe location for my paint shop next door to his personal shop/car condo. He invited us all over to make measurements and reference photos. That was very nice of him to do that.

It was pretty exciting for me to see the car up close. I asked if I could photograph the car and he allowed me too. I told him I wouldn't go public with the photos, and I won't. I did ask if I could email some to a few friends and swear they'd keep private. He agreed.

I have about 100 photos of the car and many details. He asked me to come back some day to give it a very close look and to help him correct a few things I mentioned as he asked me if I saw anything that wasn't right on the car. That's still on the bucket list and we see each other on occasion and we're both so busy it hasn't happened yet.

I've been working on him to bring it to the Winter Regional, just as a Sportsman Display but he's not really interested in that. It would be a treat for many to see it. He comes to the Regional every year and has brought other cars for judging, like original low mileage C4 cars that he owns, but getting him to take his L89 is a tough one.

I should work on him a little more.

Rich
p.s. BTW, the car is not for sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 427 L-89 Corvette