C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fuel injection set up without manometer ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Nice pictures but where did the tool come from?
Mike,
It's actually a motorcycle tuning tool. I'll get you the name/source when I get home. I found it by surfing on the net. Also, it's kinda pricy, but to me, it was worth it!

Tom Parsons
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Mike,
It's actually a motorcycle tuning tool. I'll get you the name/source when I get home. I found it by surfing on the net. Also, it's kinda pricy, but to me, it was worth it!

Tom Parsons
I would appreciate it!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,545 Likes on 3,009 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Summit carries them:

pit posse 90 degree driver

Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Summit carries them:

pit posse 90 degree driver

Jim
Shazzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm!

Boy they are a little pricey!

I think I'll just get one anyway.

Thanks Jim.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
VetteTechZ16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a fuel pressure gauge in place of the manometer, but you will need to find a custom gauge that reads in tenths of pounds just as hard to find as a manometer... lol.

Just another 2 cents...

- I agree that messing with the rich/lean stops is usually the downfall of these units.

- The idle air screw and mixture screw can be adjusted but if you are making excessive turns without much difference then they are out of phase. There is a base setting for these that I cannot remember of the top of my head. Maybe someone can help.

- Once these cars are warm it is almost a given that throttle is needed for them to start.

- Extended cranking is always normal after sitting for a few days.

- You should set the choke when starting cold, I have worked on a half dozen or so 58-62 units and the later ones have a vacuum valve inside the choke that actuates the cold cranking valve. Sounds like there may be an issue in there some where or in the cold cranking valve itself. Those can be tested with a mitivac... If I remember correctly it should pull it off the stop at 3psi??? again, maybe someone can help.

All in all, if it seems to run well and just needs a little help when starting, you could probably leave it alone. Good luck and ENJOY!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteTechZ16

- The idle air screw and mixture screw can be adjusted but if you are making excessive turns without much difference then they are out of phase. There is a base setting for these that I cannot remember of the top of my head. Maybe someone can help.
If you can't gain control of the idle speed with the Idle Air screw, there could be a vacuum leak at/under one of the doghouse feet or the stop screw for the throttle plate could have been mis-adjusted by some well meaning Bubba.

Similarly, if the Idle Fuel screw has little to no effect, in particular if you can't stall the engine by screwing it all the way in, the throttle plate stop screw could be mis-adjusted. It's also possible the check valve in the spider is stuck open.

... 58-62 units and the later ones have a vacuum valve inside the choke that actuates the cold cranking valve. Sounds like there may be an issue in there some where or in the cold cranking valve itself.
The Cranking Signal Valve, which is what I believe you are trying to describe, is actuated only by manifold vacuum. The Cold Enrichment Mechanism has nothing to do with its operation, nor, as strange as this may seem, does it have anything to do with cold starting.

Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
VetteTechZ16
Advanced

Just a quick question... what makes some of the early untis "flare-up" when on the choke as a sort of warning to kick her down. Only had a '58 and a '59 unit that did this, but was told it was correct by the rebuilder?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteTechZ16
Just a quick question... what makes some of the early untis "flare-up" when on the choke as a sort of warning to kick her down. Only had a '58 and a '59 unit that did this, but was told it was correct by the rebuilder?
This is almost certainly the Cold Enrichment Mechanism allowing the Ratio Lever to transition from the Power Stop to the Economy Stop.

FI engines need cold enrichment for only a few seconds but the design of the Cold Enrichment Mechanism on the early FI units results in several minutes of (excess) enrichment. For most of the time Cold Enrichment is turned on, the engine is running excessively rich..... around 11:1 AFR, and sometimes even less. When the Ratio Lever is finally allowed to transition, the AFR leans out to around 13:1 and the engine is much happier.

On my own units, I have cold enrichment completely disabled, but fast idle still functions. Once in a while I have to cold start twice before the engine remains running. Not a big deal to me.

Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Shazzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm!

Boy they are a little pricey!

I think I'll just get one anyway.

Thanks Jim.
Mike,
Yep, that's the one-------------I told you they were a little pricy. Oh ya, that Summit price is as good as you are likely to find.
The company that makes them is Motion Pro, and it's called a 90-degree 1/4" hex driver.
As I mentioned, I wanted one bad enough that I paid the price!!! I've used it numerous times and I love it!

Tom Parsons
Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Mike,
Yep, that's the one-------------I told you they were a little pricy. Oh ya, that Summit price is as good as you are likely to find.
The company that makes them is Motion Pro, and it's called a 90-degree 1/4" hex driver.
As I mentioned, I wanted one bad enough that I paid the price!!! I've used it numerous times and I love it!

Tom Parsons
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Tom, how do you retain the bit in the holder? The bits that came with mine were magnetic.... they stay in by themselves. But the bit I use on the fuel meter set screws isn't magnetic and I use a dollop of goop [technical term] to keep the bit in place. You got something that works better?

Jim
Can you magnetize the bit by striking an arc across a battery with it?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Can you magnetize the bit by striking an arc across a battery with it?
Don't know, never tried. BUT, the end that the bit fits into is alum.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Here's another source:

http://pitposse.com/po90de14inhe.html
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

$70 +/- plus shipping is about as cheap as they get from what I saw.

I had one ordered this AM before the sun came up!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
stevebike
3rd Gear

Default Fuel Stops Tool

Tom
Did you make this tool or purchase it? If you bought it who made it? Thanks Steve

For making rich/lean stop adjustments on a running FI engine, especially when running on a dyno, this is the cool tool to have. Sure beats fighting a darn Allen wrench. Although, you have to furnish your own Allen bit.

Tom Parsons
Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Stevebike, see postings #23 and #33 in this thread for sources of the tool in the pictures.

Jim
Old 01-01-2023, 10:59 PM
jwindarwin
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebike
Tom
Did you make this tool or purchase it? If you bought it who made it? Thanks Steve

Jim/Tom…..

Obviously this an old thread but is there any chance this tool can be used to adjust points ( dwell) on my 57 chev with the 63 FI unit. The back of the plenum is too close to even get an “ L” shaped Allen wrench in the adjusting screw.
May have my dist in wrong location but a birds eye view from the rear, # 1 is roughly 12:30/1:00 location.

Thought this tool of atoms’ might snake in there??

Get notified of new replies

To fuel injection set up without manometer ?

Old 01-02-2023, 12:07 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Jerry,
There is, or at least used to be, an EXCELLENT tool specifically for this purpose.
It is several inches long (8-10in or so), has a screwdriver style handle on one end and the correct size Allen wrench on the other end to fit the hex hole in the points. Between the handle and the Allen wrench, the shaft is like a flexible speedometer cable.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:21 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,872 Posts

Jerry,
There is, or at least used to be, an EXCELLENT tool specifically for this purpose.
It is several inches long (8-10in or so), has a screwdriver style handle on one end and the correct size Allen wrench on the other end to fit the hex hole in the points. Between the handle and the Allen wrench, the shaft is like a flexible speedometer cable.
This little guy...

Old 01-02-2023, 10:50 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

That's the tool.

Quick Reply: fuel injection set up without manometer ?