C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Powder Coat or Enamel Finish for Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:56 AM
BMS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat or Enamel Finish for Restoration

I'm talking about the typical black painted parts like oil filler tubes, breather tubes, air cleaner bases, misc suspension brackets, etc. I know powder coat is more durable than enamel so that is my preference but also know it can look much thicker because it is thicker than enamel. I'm not building a car to be judged, but am trying to restore it with correct parts. I am factoring in durability because I plan on driving it. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I would powdercoat everything then...makes for cleaning easier and the oil drips are easier to clean.

jack
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
BMS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, the frame, trailing arms, control arms, etc will be powdercoated. I was thinking more along the lines of small brackets that might have markings or small manufacturer's stamps on them. Will the powder coating be too thick so that it will flow into the markings and make it appear to be a reproduction? I know this is nitpicky...
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

powdercoating covers everything...just document the markings and then put them back on...i believe there is nothing wrong with that?
I am building a driver and didn't take the opportunity to document everything from the start so i screwed up and am making it for me.
Others here will give you more on the markings on whats correct and not correct.

jack

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coat or Enamel Finish for Restoration

Quick Reply: Powder Coat or Enamel Finish for Restoration