C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 ignition and other switch removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default C1 ignition and other switch removal?

60 - C1
I am at the point of taking the cluster apart and I am not sure how to get the ignition switch, head lights, cigarete lighter etc out of the cluster.

For instance, I can get the ignition switch loose, but that is all I can do. the trim ring on the outside looks like it doesn't clear the ears of where the key goes in. Grrrrrrrr!

Nothing is straight forward. I looked in ST-12 and that was not much help.

clues? point me in the right direction....thanks, Herb
Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you removed the tumber (part where key inserts)? If not insert the key. Beside teh key should be a small hole (diameter of a paper clip). Take an all or paper clip insert it and push, as you push turn the key counter clockwise. The tumbler and key should pop out. Then you can undo the ring and pull the ignition out.

oWEN
Old 01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
60 - C1
I am at the point of taking the cluster apart and I am not sure how to get the ignition switch, head lights, cigarete lighter etc out of the cluster.

For instance, I can get the ignition switch loose, but that is all I can do. the trim ring on the outside looks like it doesn't clear the ears of where the key goes in. Grrrrrrrr!

Nothing is straight forward. I looked in ST-12 and that was not much help.

clues? point me in the right direction....thanks, Herb
Ignition Switch - Based on my 62, there should be a tiny hole in the ferrule where the key inserts. Put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to the left, stick a paperclip in the tiny hole and depress a spring loaded button, turn the key more to the left and the ignition cylinder will pop out. Then the big nut you've been turning can come out the rest of the way.

Headlight switch - First remove the ****/rod by depressing a hidden button under the switch assembly while pulling out the ****. The **** and shaft will come out of the switch, then you can remove that funky nut with the 2 slots in it which hold the trim ring and headlight switch together.

Cigarette Lighter - Unscrew the back of the lighter housing, then remove the ligher assembly from the front of the dash.

Windshield wiper - I think the **** is held on with a tiny set screw, and then I think the assembly is held in place with a slotted nut just like on the headlights.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 01-07-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:32 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Ignition Switch - Based on my 62, there should be a tiny hole in the ferrule where the key inserts. Put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to the left, stick a paperclip in the tiny hole and depress a spring loaded button, turn the key more to the left and the ignition cylinder will pop out. Then the big nut you've been turning can come out the rest of the way.

Headlight switch - First remove the ****/rod by depressing a hidden button under the switch assembly while pulling out the ****. The **** and shaft will come out of the switch, then you can remove that funky nut with the 2 slots in it which hole the trim ring and headlight switch together.

Cigarette Lighter - Unscrew the back of the lighter housing, then remove the ligher assembly from the front of the dash.

Windshield wiper - I think the **** is held on with a tiny set screw, and then I think the assembly is held in place with a slotted nut just like on the headlights.
perfect...got it apart....I told my better half that you need a decoder ring to go with this......thanks again....Herb

Get notified of new replies

To C1 ignition and other switch removal?

Quick Reply: C1 ignition and other switch removal?