C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Export History

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 07:02 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Export History

Still trying to trace the history on my 67 coupe #512. My tank sticker reads: export preparation ship mortensen warehouse. Anyone have any info on exported cars. Any info may help. Thanks, Dick Capello :flag :seeya :cheers:
Old 09-28-2001, 12:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Export History (9t6t7)

Mortensen was the East Coast (Baltimore, Maryland) contractor to Chevrolet who handled all their overseas shipping; they had a prep center that sprayed protective oil and other compounds all over the car to protect it from the salt air during ocean shipping. There were no "containers" or sealed-deck car shipping in those days - the cars were sling-loaded into the hold of a cargo ship and then unloaded the same way when they arrived at the overseas destination. The Mortensen reference on the sticker indicates that the car was ordered originally by an overseas GM dealer and delivered new overseas, most likely in Europe.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:26 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Export History (JohnZ)

Thanks for the info. Not only do I try to find the original owner, I now have to find out how it got back into the states. The car had a lot of misc. restoration, what changes would have been made for exporting? I know that some cars had a metal fender(passanger side) tag mounted with numbers referencing export data. My car doesn't. The search continues. Thanks, Dick Capello :seeya :cheers: :flag
Old 09-30-2001, 04:05 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Export History (9t6t7)

Can you tell me a little about the car? I am helping a friend research his 66 BIG TANK 427 /425 car that went to Europe directly also. His car has an export tag however. Maybe we can compare some notes.
Thx,
Jim
Old 04-20-2020, 07:29 AM
mickthefish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnZ Morning, hoping you are well and safe ?
l have recently brought a 1966 convertible bbc , and from the NCRS given it’s dealers code was Zone 21 001.
lts has been said it was the Barcelona show car on the Blitz Hermanos SA stand and already sold to a manager in the perfume industry.
972 Ermine white ,but 6 weeks later Red. I was wondering where you got your Mortensens information, and if I can find more about mine.
thank you in advance .
Mike
ps yes 19 years after first post, be gentle we are on lockdown!

Last edited by mickthefish; 04-21-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Export History

Quick Reply: Export History