C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 suspension seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:34 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Default C1 suspension seals

While greasing the 20 points, I noticed trouble with both lower control arm outer bushings rubber seals (both rear side of the control arm); drivers side is torn and is now a "C" and the passenger side isn't much better. How critical are these and should I even worry? What might have caused this?

In order to replace them, it looks like the lower shaft ends might be partially removed and the seals replaced without removing the lower control arms from the vehicle according to ST-12. Would this necessitate a new alignment afterwards?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There should be 22 lube points..it would be 24 but most have replaced the original U-joints with the grease fittings...

I would do an alignment after any extensive front end work...
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
While greasing the 20 points, I noticed trouble with both lower control arm outer bushings rubber seals (both rear side of the control arm); drivers side is torn and is now a "C" and the passenger side isn't much better. How critical are these and should I even worry? What might have caused this?

In order to replace them, it looks like the lower shaft ends might be partially removed and the seals replaced without removing the lower control arms from the vehicle according to ST-12. Would this necessitate a new alignment afterwards?

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it until it's time for a rebuild - there's a LOT of difficult disassembly and re-assembly required (every cap on every bushing has to come off, replace the seals, then catch the same threads when they go back on), then a trip to the alignment shop.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Keep it well greased (at least by every 1000 miles) with a quality chassis grease until you feel the steering has become too "loose". Or bite the bullet and do the whole thing properly, as JohnZ stated.

I use Valvoline Synthetic chassis grease (part # W985) that is Moly fortified, availabile just about anywhere.

Plasticman
Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Sounds like I should try to keep the exposed threads clean, greased and not worry.

I forgot about the steering connecting rod fittings.

On a side note, what "Special Lubricant" is supposed to go into the steering gear box (Pt 15 on the chart)? There is no indication in the owner's manual or ST-12.

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster

On a side note, what "Special Lubricant" is supposed to go into the steering gear box (Pt 15 on the chart)? There is no indication in the owner's manual or ST-12.

Thanks again
The specified "steering gear lubricant" shouldn't be used - TSB was issued in '58 to use EP chassis grease (same stuff you use in all the chassis grease fittings) instead, and that carried on through the midyear era.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 suspension seals

Quick Reply: C1 suspension seals