C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TV Show Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default TV Show Review

Last Sting Ray was a waste of time. A promo piece for cash in someone's pocket. Hopefully the Hype will not work and this car with no true history brings only what it should. So it slept in a barn for 15 or so years. So what. Lots of these cars are still out there just waiting to be discovered. Finding and convincing the current owner to sell is alot of fun also. And, it adds to the sense of enjoyment/accomplishment. The DOLLAR boys have taken too many a Bubba for a ride. JMHO Al W.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Last Sting Ray was a waste of time. A promo piece for cash in someone's pocket. Hopefully the Hype will not work and this car with no true history brings only what it should. So it slept in a barn for 15 or so years. So what. Lots of these cars are still out there just waiting to be discovered. Finding and convincing the current owner to sell is alot of fun also. And, it adds to the sense of enjoyment/accomplishment. The DOLLAR boys have taken too many a Bubba for a ride. JMHO Al W.

I can't beleive I wasted so much time waiting for something to happen.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:34 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Clearly the show's intended purpose is to assure that ProTeam squeezes as much money as he can out of some Baby Boomer's inflated bank roll at BJ in January. However, I thought there was some decent racing footage and clips of Duntov I hadn't seen before. I actually enjoyed it even though the purpose was evident.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Clearly the show's intended purpose is to assure that ProTeam squeezes as much money as he can out of some Baby Boomer's inflated bank roll at BJ in January. However, I thought there was some decent racing footage and clips of Duntov I hadn't seen before. I actually enjoyed it even though the purpose was evident.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:47 AM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping that they would show more of the actual restoration. The old racing clips are always great to see.

Bill
Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but they showed us the broken engine block but only mentioned that they could "fix" it.

By fixing it did they:
A.---Weld the starter area casting back on?
B.---Restamp another correctly dated block?

I would think that you would get a large deduct on flight judging with a welded block.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Maybe I missed it, but they showed us the broken engine block but only mentioned that they could "fix" it.

By fixing it did they:
A.---Weld the starter area casting back on?
B.---Restamp another correctly dated block?

I would think that you would get a large deduct on flight judging with a welded block.
I also was waiting for the answer to that question. I bet they restamped a block. This show was nothing but 6 hrs of promoting Proteam
Old 11-25-2006, 10:33 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no opinion of Pro Team one way or another just another car dealer. There sure is a lot of bad feelings on this board against Pro Team. I looked at it as great marketing for the upcoming BJ auction. Brillant if you ask me. I bet they will get somewhere between 400 and 500k for the (last67). Wish I thought of it!!!!!! Rich boys are rich boys weather we like it or not, so why not take advantage of them before they do it to us.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:54 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was kinda cool. Sure it was a BIG promo for Pro Team and BJ. So what. I think there is history attached to the last produced C2 a BB SP car. Beutiful car, beutiful restoration. I will certinly enjoy looking at it this years BJ auction. Besides it gave me something to watch on TV last night, how often does that happen?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Last Sting Ray was a waste of time. A promo piece for cash in someone's pocket. Hopefully the Hype will not work and this car with no true history brings only what it should. So it slept in a barn for 15 or so years. .:
Well, I enjoyed the show, as I love Corvette history.
It did seem like a promo to hike the price of the featured '67 coupe.
It was restored nicely, and I wonder how much it will fetch.
Meantime, I'd like to find a 'barn' with a nice C2 in it.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
draver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NINETNINEVETT
I have no opinion of Pro Team one way or another just another car dealer. There sure is a lot of bad feelings on this board against Pro Team. I looked at it as great marketing for the upcoming BJ auction. Brillant if you ask me. I bet they will get somewhere between 400 and 500k for the (last67). Wish I thought of it!!!!!! Rich boys are rich boys weather we like it or not, so why not take advantage of them before they do it to us.
I'm surprised that so many have voiced such utter contempt for Pro Team. I personally feel that they have built up the awareness and also value of the older Corvettes, and are now reaping what they have sown.

As a newcomer to the board, I'm sure I haven't heard all the individual incidents that may have created this attitude, but all in all, they seem to be a good business model from my limited exposure.

If they can get high prices for their cars, why can't you just ride on their coattails?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched the long and short segments. There was a 30 minute muscle car segment that was very well done. Then the 3 hour segment which was done nicely also regarding the history, racing, styling, etc. Yes, I think the restoration of the last corvette was a waste of time as it lacked everything. But the rest of the show was great for me as a new C-2 owner.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default "Last Stingray"

I enjoyed the "Last Stingray" show.

I have known Ken and Gary Nabers since Gary was 12 years old. They restored my 69 L88, and this show showed what they are capable of under a strict time limit (with an unlimited budget ).
I agree that Proteam is simply another car dealer.
I mostly enjoyed the show for the old film clips (many I've never seen before) of Duntov at various racing locations around the world, with Corvettes and historic drivers (Dick Thompson, Dave McDonald, Fangio and Sterling Moss). I also enjoyed the ad lib comments of Duntov and Bob Bondurant in on screen interviews. I'm an old guy who races vintage, so I have an interest in these things. Also, my first Corvette was a 67 427 coupe. For those of you who didn't like it....don't watch!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I enjoyed the "Last Stingray" show.

I have known Ken and Gary Nabers since Gary was 12 years old. They restored my 69 L88, and this show showed what they are capable of under a strict time limit (with an unlimited budget ).
I agree that Proteam is simply another car dealer.
I mostly enjoyed the show for the old film clips (many I've never seen before) of Duntov at various racing locations around the world, with Corvettes and historic drivers (Dick Thompson, Dave McDonald, Fangio and Sterling Moss). I also enjoyed the ad lib comments of Duntov and Bob Bondurant in on screen interviews. I'm an old guy who races vintage, so I have an interest in these things. Also, my first Corvette was a 67 427 coupe. For those of you who didn't like it....don't watch!
TOO LATE ! ! ! We got suckered. Already paid the toll to the troll. We won't get fooled again.

I also enjoyed the bit of actually interesting corvette history, disjointed as it was, but the production was a non-satisfying experience over all.

Rich
Old 11-25-2006, 09:03 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
TOO LATE ! ! ! We got suckered. Already paid the toll to the troll. We won't get fooled again.

I also enjoyed the bit of actually interesting corvette history, disjointed as it was, but the production was a non-satisfying experience over all.

Rich
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
emdee
Advanced

I enjoyed some of the snippets of C2 info that I had not yet seen from other sources, mostly historical stuff.

Like many of you, I was disappointed that very little of the program focused on the actual restoration. It would have been nice to see more of this instead of the Sting Ray vs Stingray explanation being repeated over and over.

On a picky note, and since the program was about the last Sting Ray, it would not have required much effort for them to use the non-italic script on the show's title screen shot.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by emdee
I enjoyed some of the snippets of C2 info that I had not yet seen from other sources, mostly historical stuff.

Like many of you, I was disappointed that very little of the program focused on the actual restoration. It would have been nice to see more of this instead of the Sting Ray vs Stingray explanation being repeated over and over.

On a picky note, and since the program was about the last Sting Ray, it would not have required much effort for them to use the non-italic script on the show's title screen shot.

Get notified of new replies

To TV Show Review

Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

this show showed what they (Nabers) are capable of under a strict time limit - wish the hell they had showed what they are capable of! the entire three hours, maybe 1/2 hour was of the actual restoration! so, it didn't show me ****! yes, everything else about the history of the Vette, etc. was interesting - but they claimed the show was supposed to be about the LAST 1967 STINGRAY - all BS, as far as I am concerned! and, by the way, that car will go for about $2.5 million at BJ's, after all the hype
Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Baken62
Intermediate

I don't know much about Pro Team nor really care. I also don't think much about the 'Last Sting Ray'. Not that big of a deal for me just because it is the last serial number. But if they can get more for it because of the hype, then more power to them and the buyer gets what they pay for.

What I liked about the show was that it was NOT all about the restoration and was actually a great history of the Corvette in general. I learned a lot and enjoyed all the footage and other facts.

Yes it was just a huge commercial, but I found it entertaining and informative.

Should we start a poll as to how much the car sells for?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:31 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

ProTeam has their own poll going - the winner gets something from them - don't remember what

Quick Reply: TV Show Review