C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mono spring front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mono spring front and rear

I'm new to the forum so bear with me here! I'm building a 64 coupe pro touring style and was wondering if anyone has used Vette Brake Products mono leaf front and rear Performance package? If so how was the installation and how does it perform? I'm also going to install off set trailing arms, how wide of a wheel and tire can I put on the back and the front without cutting or modifying the wheel wells etc.? Some pictures of some midyears with this suspension lowered would be great! Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:38 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have their full monospring front suspension on my 66 coupe. The installation is relatively easy since everything is new -- it all bolts right on. I like the end result...the ride height and spring rate are adjustable, and I think it improves the handling. My only complaint is that the urethane bushings in the A-arms are noisy.

Rear tire size is limited more by spring length and frame-to-fenderlip clearance than anything else. To clear the end of the spring, you need at least 17" wheels. Smaller and you need a shortened spring. Some others on the forum have more experience and can give you better information, but I think about the biggest wheel you can get in the rear is a 17x8 with offset arms and no fender flares. Not sure about tire size, maybe a 245. There's lots of room in the front, so there's no problem matching whatever you fit in the rear.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Default monospring front and rear

Thanks for the response! I plan to put 18x8 wheels on the back and 17x7 on the front I think this should work without rubbing. I'm glad you said something about the poly bushings, that makes me think twice about the package. I just sold a 65 Mustang pro touring car with the poly bushings and it squeaked terribly, I was hoping it was just the kit I used on that, but it sounds like most poly bushings squeak. Anyone else have problems with poly bushings?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Default monospring front and rear

By the way is there any chance you could email pictures of your car with the monospring kit I would like to check out the stance it has? Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VBP offers different length rear springs for custom clearance for offset trailing arms. You need to tell them how much offset you're adding. Also, the same goes for rear swaybar if you use one. It needs to be shorter to clear.
Here's a picture of the VBP front system. The pivot points and clamps move to change the attachment point and result in a change of apparent spring rate.

Friont bumper mounts, if used, need to be shortened to clear the spring

Old 09-14-2006, 10:38 PM
bacfire67
Intermediate

I just talked at length with a VBP tech re: poly bushings. Mine were installed by a disreputable shop about 12 years ago. They squeak like crazy. My car has been off the road pretty much since the bushings were installed, so they have only now become an looming problem.

Anyhow, the VBP guy said that the bushings should be squeak-free, but that a common installation error can cause problems. Due to differences in the A-arms, it's fairly common that the inner sleeves to end up a little too short. This allows the outer washers to bind against the poly when they should be seated on the inner sleeve.

I checked mine and sure enough, the sleeves are too short. Just to see what happened, I backed off the bolts until the washers turned freely. Not only did the squeeks go away, but the suspension became noticably more compliant. Now I'm trying to figure out a fix w/o tearing down the whole front end. I'm thinking about trying to grind down the bushings slightly until the sleeve sticks out just a bit.

BAC
Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 PM
bacfire67
Intermediate

I should add that the VBP guy was great. He even offered to send me new sleeves and whatever else I needed to fix the problem for free, even though I bought my front-end kit 13-14 years ago. Great folks!

BAC
Old 09-15-2006, 03:00 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

How about their own bushings? I got their complete monospring front kit, including their preassembled upper and lower A-arms, and they squeak.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

I spoke with Vette Products about the squeaking problems and they said they do squeak a little but if it is excessive they have found a few were not properly installed which could create a problem. They mentioned they would like to discuss the problem with you and try to remedy it if possible. Please let me know how it turns out. Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I installed the full VBP kit, front and rear, on my 63 coupe in 2001. I have driven several thousand miles since the and I'm not aware of any unusual squeaking problem.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:52 AM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Thanks for your input! Do you have the offset trailing arms and if so what size wheel and tire combo did you use? I'd love to see pictures of your car if possible! Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 07:01 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

My car looks quite stock from the outside. I'm running reproduction knockoff wheels with stock trailing arms. My assembly photos are not available on line right now. When I have time to move them here, I will.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:16 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Are you happy with the ride and handleing of the mono spring kit? Have you adjusted ride height at all? I plan to lower mine at least an inch or maybe more, which I'm told I can with this kit and I'm going to install 17x7 front and 18x8 rear wheels and don't believe they will rub on anything. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again! Jeff
Old 09-16-2006, 05:50 PM
drivun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 17x8's Vintage 45's and Bridgestone So3 245/45x17 on all fours with VBP monospring up front and dual mount spring in back ( no rear sway bar needed). I relocated the ebrake cable to the top of the stock rear trailing arm. No rubbing all the way round Road Atlanta during the Year One Experience.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:21 PM
ProtouringC3C6
Racer

Did you lower your car with the monospring kit or leave it stock height? Thanks (pictures would be great!)
Old 09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

I find eurethane and polygraphite bushings to be noisy also. I just rebuilt the front suspension on my Suburban with polygraphite, and it squeeks like crazy. Seems worse when the weather is drier, like it usually is here.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few shots of the front kit installed. Have had it in the car about two years now. It is a good system. I run mine in the #3 position (rides stiff).. Also have it lowered almost all the way. Easy install. Hope this helps

Old 09-17-2006, 09:19 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 64protouringvette
Are you happy with the ride and handleing of the mono spring kit? Have you adjusted ride height at all? I plan to lower mine at least an inch or maybe more, which I'm told I can with this kit and I'm going to install 17x7 front and 18x8 rear wheels and don't believe they will rub on anything. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again! Jeff
I'm happy with the ride and handling of my car, but I don't drive it near the limits of handling. I didn't try to adjust the ride height. I can't comment on whether or not the wheels will fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Mono spring front and rear

Quick Reply: Mono spring front and rear