C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Registration vrs Title-Silly Q. of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Registration vrs Title-Silly Q. of the Day

I have read a number of threads over time where people have discussed vehicle registration and title. These seem to be separate entities and one can exist without the other. This has always perplexed me. How can you have a vehicle registered in your name and not own title to it? It would be appreciated if someone(s) could explain the difference. This has nagged at me for some time. Thanks!

In this part of Canada I have a single "Vehicle Permit" with my name on it. That means I own the car.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

one way to have a registration but not a title is to have a loan on the vehicle. the lender holds the title until it's paid off, you just get a registration.
Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks Bill. We certainly have liens but when a car is paid off we don't receive a title, just notification that the loan has been paid off. I guess there is some equivalency in both cases, however.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From my limited experiences over the past several years in selling cars to private individuals or dealers, Connecticut is a "registration certificate only" state. No titles have been issued for at least 10 years, if not longer, for any vehicle--with or without liens.

At the bottom of the registration certificate is a area headed "Bill of Sale (for use ifyou sell this vehicle)" and on the reverse side is an area headed "Certificate of sale or transfer of motor vehicle or vessel/boat." The buyer gets the "Bill of Sale" portion of the registration certificate (and the car), and the seller then presents the remaining document, with plates, to the DMV and the sale/transfer is "official" and the vehicle is taken off the local property tax roles.

Once these two areas are filled out, the car is transferred--no separate title document needs to exist.

I've occasionally wondered if there would be a hassle if I were to sell to an out of state buyer who expects or whose DMV requires a title.

Perhaps one of our more knowledgable Forum members who lives in CT and has had such an experience will weigh in on this.

Last edited by Cobra66; 09-09-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
jammovette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, I live in Florida and we are required to have title for proof of ownership in order to get registration for vehicle tag (Lisense plate). I purchased a 66 coupe that was in Georgia were antique cars (20 yrs or older) do not have titles. I belive they are dropped out of the system because they had to have titles when new. I wanted this 66 bad but could not believe a car with no title would go over to well when trying to get tag and title for this in Florida. I contacted Georgia Dept. of Motor Vehicles and registration and bill of sale is the way they have proof of ownership on classic cars. Then I called Florida DMV and they would title cars from these few states that do not have titles with them. I purchased car with previous owners name on registration and bill of sale with purchase amount on it and recieved title in Florida with no hassle. This happens all the time down here as people are moving here from all over the world. hope this helps. James
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 385 Posts

I have bought cars from several different states and as stated above different states have different rules.When I go to the DMV here with an out of state car they look in a book to see what that state requires then ask for that from the seller.They then do an inspection which just consists of a check of the vin number against the paperwork.They then type me up a new ohio title.Not really a big deal once you have been through it a couple of times.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maine no title neede for cars before 1990
Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are talking about titles I am buying a car from Florida They sent me the title yesterday and they want me to sign it and send it back Do they have a new title made out in my name and then send me that

Update on title. They do not want me to send the title back They sent me a copy they want back for there records I keep the title and if i want to i can have a Maine title made out for 22.00 I do not need it So i will keep the original title with the last two owners name and address on it. It had the owners name on it from TX that bought the car in 1984 from the original owner I called him last night and he said the car was an original non hit car that was in great shape when he sold it in 2002

Last edited by piper; 09-10-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by piper
While we are talking about titles I am buying a car from Florida They sent me the title yesterday and they want me to sign it and send it back Do they have a new title made out in my name and then send me that

i just looked at one of my Florida titles and there is a place for the purchaser to sign.
Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I used to live in Tenn,a title state. Moved to up-state NY. My 67 had a clear title,in my name.NY DMV took my title and gave me a regestration back.NO title. they said a car that old doesnt get a title in NY state.After moving to Indiana,I played hell getting Indiana DMV to reissue me a title,which they did.The NY reg. was a "transferable " reg.,no title needed,so they told me.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Paul, the requirements vary by state, and in Canada. When I bought my '69 Z/28 from a Canadian owner six years ago and brought it in through U.S. Customs, they required the "Canadian Registration" to issue the entry certificate; that's apparently a single document that proves both ownership and registration for road use (plates).

In Michigan, we have the "Title", which proves ownership and is the document that transfers ownership when the car is sold, and the "registration", which shows that the vehicle is registered and has current license plates. The title stays locked away safely, and the registration must be carried in the car (with the insurance certificate).
Old 09-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks everyone. It seems that matters vary from state-to-state. Perhaps the source of my confusion.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
Thanks everyone. It seems that matters vary from state-to-state. Perhaps the source of my confusion.
Paul, one more thing to add (I believe), and that is if a vehicle is leased, but not purchased, the title (ownership) could be in the name of the leasing agent while the registration may be in the name of the leasee.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE=Cobra66]From my limited experiences over the past several years in selling cars to private individuals or dealers, Connecticut is a "registration certificate only" state. No titles have been issued for at least 10 years, if not longer, for any vehicle--with or without liens.

At the bottom of the registration certificate is a area headed "Bill of Sale (for use ifyou sell this vehicle)" and on the reverse side is an area headed "Certificate of sale or transfer of motor vehicle or vessel/boat." The buyer gets the "Bill of Sale" portion of the registration certificate (and the car), and the seller then presents the remaining document, with plates, to the DMV and the sale/transfer is "official" and the vehicle is taken off the local property tax roles.

Once these two areas are filled out, the car is transferred--no separate title document needs to exist.

You are mostly correct, except titles are issued in CT if the car is less than 10 years old. Over 10 years all you need is the registration to transfer ownership. For the original post the registration is needed to drive the car on the road. The title is proof of ownership. The states on not consistent in the issuing and requiring of titles. I bought 2 older cars, one from Ga, and one from PA. They had titles which when signed over to me were proof of my ownership when I had them registered in CT, but no new title was issued because they were older than 10 years. One was a '50 the other a '53. Neither one had to pass any type of inspection in CT for safety or emmissions. I did have to bring the car to DMV so they could look at the VIN and compare it to the transfer papers. I think the reason CT has titles for cars under 10 years old is that many are bought with a loan and the the entity holding the loan has a lien on the car and holds the title until it is paid off.

Just looked up in DMV. CT does not issue titles for cars built prior to 1981, not the 10 years mentioned above.

Last edited by GCD1962; 09-09-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased my coupe out of state 2 years ago. When I applied for title & tags, I did not get a title. In New York State these old cars get only a "Transferrable Registration". I do not know what age it has to be to not qualify for a title.
Roy
Old 09-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

OK, now I am now back to square one: thoroughly confused. But perhaps one State to another is also.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 PM
vettefrenchee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

N.H. is also a non title state for vehicles over 15 yrs old. I recently purchased a 63 SWC from Cal. for 38K and registred it in N.H. with a bill of sale written on a napkin. The local P.D. did have to verify the VIN#before I could register it. I do have the Cal. title though.

Get notified of new replies

To Registration vrs Title-Silly Q. of the Day

Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by piper
Yes

I suggest you make a copy of it before you send it back.

It will be mailed to you after the Florida DMV puts your name on it usually about 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
I have read a number of threads over time where people have discussed vehicle registration and title. These seem to be separate entities and one can exist without the other. This has always perplexed me. How can you have a vehicle registered in your name and not own title to it? It would be appreciated if someone(s) could explain the difference. This has nagged at me for some time. Thanks!

In this part of Canada I have a single "Vehicle Permit" with my name on it. That means I own the car.
The way your state collects taxes (the root of the problem) will dictate how "title" is issued.

Here in Tennessee we have titles and registrations (just like Michigan). My property taxes are on "real" (land and improvements) property not on personal property. Other states have income taxes. And some have personal property taxes.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

There is an 8% Provincial tax when a car is purchased but no "personal property" taxes thereafter unless you count the $74 annual licence sticker fee.

Quick Reply: Registration vrs Title-Silly Q. of the Day