C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Driveshaft delay

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 AM
63GSreplica
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an email from my brother after he got my VISA statement, I bought a shifter handle from them. I didn't really have a problem with them, I had to call and find out why the item never shipped after a week or so but the guy I talked with was nice and took care of getting it out to me, took a while to get my shifter handle but no big deal.

Hey I noticed you bought something from Keisler Engineering in tennesee, I sent my Duster dash cluster out in 1999 with a check
for $150.00 to keisler auto electric to be restored in Tennesee and
never heard from him again. A couple years later(this is during the
time I put the Duster back in storage) I called his number and some
transmission shop was in there, if this guys name is Shafi Keisler
I want to talk to him!
I emailed my brother back saying they were a transmission place, not really knowing, he says it's the same guy.

http://www.keislerauto.com/corporate/index.html

Shafi will be gettin a call from me monday morning!!!

I can stop by there on vacation.
As far as a person with 1 post, I take it with a grain of salt, vendors aren't perfect all the time as much as we'd like them to be. That's why I always use a credit card, if you get screwed you can dispute the charge. I'm going through that with a guy right now who gave me nothing but excuses why he didn't ship a hood, but was able to charge my card right away.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my trans from Keisler.....trans showed up in about a week....there was a note inside with a checklist of sorts (packing list) and it showed the driveshaft on B.O. for 2 weeks....sure enough 2 weeks later it showed up.
They were supposed to be getting there own driveshaft machine, and start making there own shafts...this was a couple of months ago....don't know what ever happened with that.....
Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM
0Robert Hall
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Morning Guys,

Yes - there have been delays in some driveshaft deliveries. In most cases the shafts were just a few days behind the kits. Our d/s supplier has not always done a good job at matching our increased pace of kit production.

No - The guys in customer service did not try to deceive customers.
We have a driveshaft specialty shop build our d/s. Unfortunatley this means when THEY get behind, WE look bad. If they tell us "you'll have 12 Vette d/s on Wednesday" and customer service makes a promise based on that info, and then if the d/s company does not deliver, then we obviously cannot ship what we did not receive. Unfortunately all the customers knows is he does not have what he was promised and puts all the blame on Keisler.

We did order our own d/s machinery a couple of months back. It took a couple of months to get it, but our machinists were going through training last week, so we'll be making them in house soon That should end the d/s delays!

In a nutshell - I apologize for the delays on the shaft, but NO ONE was deliberately lying to a customer! Not only would it be wrong to lie to a customer, it would also be just plain stupid.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zbc51
I really don't think the number of my posts is relevant. I generally read the forum to learn about corvettes rather than to complain about vendors. In this case Kiesler has promised to ship me a drive shaft on two seperate occasions; and has not delivered. When I paid $3800 for a complete kit they did not tell me it would be over 4 weeks to get a driveshaft. If they would tell the truth, I would not have expectations for delivery. Remember they are the ones who said they would overnight Fed ex the drive shaft to me. If there is a problem I would expect a call. I don't think I should have to call fed ex and find that nothing was ever shipped!!
Oh, pardon me, I guess there is egg on my face... And here, I was judging you based on one experience here on the forum... Ironic, isn't it? If you have been around the Forum for so long, I would have hoped you would have noticed there are productive ways and unproductive ways to resolve a problem. Calling people liars is usually found to be "unproductive".
Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
noelga
Racer

Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Just some constructive advice to the folks at Keisler. Why not avoid all of these types of problems by simply training your sales people to;

#1Call you customer if there is going to be a delay in shipment and why

#2 Don't tell them things you can't or don't intend to do.

It is an inexpensive phone call or e-mail and would save you tons of BAD publicity. I think this is in PR-101.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Old 09-09-2006, 03:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62

Ditto with that!

If you have dealings with people, you need to do what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it. If you can't get it done, let'em know. People DO APPRECIATE that. They HATE being left in the dark and hanging.

If I were in that kind of business, you'd get the whole kit, not part of it with a promise to send the rest later. Getting half the kit automatically makes people uneasy that "something is wrong" upfront. Likewise, as a customer, I wouldn't be making cast in stone plans to do the work on a certain date until I had all the parts in hand.

I have no stake in this. 4-speed Muncies and BW's are fine with me. I just see Kiesler getting bombed all the time when they probably have the best intentions in the world with maybe a little shortage of good business sense.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by magicv8
Some useful rules for owners of old cars:

Never take your old car apart for an upgrade until you have all the parts and read all the instructions that came with the parts (to see if you need more parts).

If you have a lot of FUN and break things, buy spare parts. I often have too much fun, so I have 2 spare rebuilt Muncies and 2 spare rebuilt diffs. One of each is crated for shipping to where ever I was having too much fun.

When your car is damaged in a parking lot, at a show, or on the street - try to remember that it's a car (and keep it insured).

Do not think your old car is better or worse than anyone elses old car, since all old cars are better than new cars. What?? Think about it.

Old cars are like old wine. You can enjoy showing the bottle of some expensive vintage to visitors, but you open it for your friends. Take friends for a ride. Drive it hard instead of just looking at it.

Whenever you take an old car to a shop to have work done, it will cost more than you thought, or it will not be as well done as you would have done it or expected it to be done. Get used to it.
So true.

My son has a pro street Ford truck, spun a bearing, pulled the 460 out of the truck, tore it down, no money to fix it. So it's all apart in boxes, in my garage.
I told him, don't take it apart, till you have parts and your ready to put it back together.
Kids
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I have no stake in this and no alliegance to anyone involved.

I would say upon reading the thread, that yes, I too get annoyed with the forum constantly being used as a complaint board. However, it's hard to believe the original poster joined the forum over a year ago, (Aug 2005) and is being dogged for "joining the board just to post a complaint. " That doesn't make sense.

On the other side, I understand this vendor's position, but I have a hard time with excuses/reasons that come down to, ''someone else is producing the part, so it's their fault." Actually, YOU are selling the part with YOUR name on it. That makes it YOUR fault when you make promises that aren't kept. I had a very similar experience with problems with the chrome quality on Boyd Coddington wheels; they kept blaming their chrome guy. I said the part has their name on it; that's why I bought it from them. Therefore, it's their responsibility.

I would suggest that if your people are making promises that can't be kept due to someone else not producing the part as expected, the same guy who made the promise yesterday to provide the part today takes some personal responsibility, pick up the damn phone and call the customer when he find out it 'aint happening! Yes this might be a little uncomfortable, but far less unpleasant than hearing from the customer when nothing is received and no one is notified. Common sense.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5863
I have no stake in this and no alliegance to anyone involved.

I would suggest that if your people are making promises that can't be kept due to someone else not producing the part as expected, the same guy who made the promise yesterday to provide the part today takes some personal responsibility, pick up the damn phone and call the customer when he find out it 'aint happening! Yes this might be a little uncomfortable, but far less unpleasant than hearing from the customer when nothing is received and no one is notified. Common sense.
Customer service 101, call the customer especially if it's bad news. They will not be happy about not getting the stuff but will not be nearly as pissed about having to chase down what went wrong.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 AM
aztlanco
Racer

Me too
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It's been over a year but Keisler screwed me over so bad with wrong parts and deliveries I finally got my money back (all of this took 6 months). The people that answer the phones are quite helpful but the top management is unable to back them up! I'm sorry ... we are better now just doesn't hack it. I'm really surprised that one of the early founders and biggest Bull Shooters of all time is still there and has an active role in running the company. Hope you finally get your drive shaft. I thought their latest fix was to produce them in house because of their vendor’s poor quality and deliveries??? They sent me two very late drive shafts ... both were the wrong length and had the wrong size U joint. The first one was actually made of 3" tubing for a C1? Their competition doesn't have poor reviews (and that was this list is partially about ... reviews) :cheers
Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

As a Forum supporting vendor, I am surprised they have nothing to say.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Robert Hall - Keisler Sales
Good Morning Guys,

Yes - there have been delays in some driveshaft deliveries. In most cases the shafts were just a few days behind the kits. Our d/s supplier has not always done a good job at matching our increased pace of kit production.

No - The guys in customer service did not try to deceive customers.
We have a driveshaft specialty shop build our d/s. Unfortunatley this means when THEY get behind, WE look bad. If they tell us "you'll have 12 Vette d/s on Wednesday" and customer service makes a promise based on that info, and then if the d/s company does not deliver, then we obviously cannot ship what we did not receive. Unfortunately all the customers knows is he does not have what he was promised and puts all the blame on Keisler.

We did order our own d/s machinery a couple of months back. It took a couple of months to get it, but our machinists were going through training last week, so we'll be making them in house soon That should end the d/s delays!

In a nutshell - I apologize for the delays on the shaft, but NO ONE was deliberately lying to a customer! Not only would it be wrong to lie to a customer, it would also be just plain stupid.

Paul
they did; see above. sounded kind of lame...
Bill
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Bill,
I missed that. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Driveshaft delay

Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
It's been over a year but Keisler screwed me over so bad with wrong parts and deliveries I finally got my money back (all of this took 6 months). The people that answer the phones are quite helpful but the top management is unable to back them up! I'm sorry ... we are better now just doesn't hack it. I'm really surprised that one of the early founders and biggest Bull Shooters of all time is still there and has an active role in running the company. Hope you finally get your drive shaft. I thought their latest fix was to produce them in house because of their vendor’s poor quality and deliveries??? They sent me two very late drive shafts ... both were the wrong length and had the wrong size U joint. The first one was actually made of 3" tubing for a C1? Their competition doesn't have poor reviews (and that was this list is partially about ... reviews) :cheers

You know Robert is just going to come back and flame you over this as he always does. However you touch on something I've been searching the archieves for over the last two days. The fact that I know he said in the past that they made their own driveshafts and now once again he's saying they use a vendor.. hmmm.. Just interesting...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM
60vett
Pro

Now Dave.......be nice. But I can't wait to hear what you find.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:44 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
You know Robert is just going to come back and flame you over this as he always does. However you touch on something I've been searching the archieves for over the last two days. The fact that I know he said in the past that they made their own driveshafts and now once again he's saying they use a vendor.. hmmm.. Just interesting...
yup...that is what they said some time ago because they were having driveshaft delivery problems over 6 months ago....my guess is they had to order the machine and he noted above that they are not training their guy on how to use it....I do understand that this takes time....but I still wouldn't buy from them....they are a little too loose for me on customer service....they should take a lesson from Tom DeWitt on customer service....I bought from him and didnt even check anyone elses prices because of the reviews he has.....he stands behind his product 100% and no run around...if they would use that as a model perhaps they wouldn't get all this negative press that they get.....the amazing thing is that it just keeps showing up...yes they probably sell a bunch of trannys to a lot more than Corvette owners, BUT there is too much smoke....you don't see any smoke with DeWitts products.....

Last edited by firstgear; 09-10-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft delay