C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Off Road Exhaust (N11)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

If that's the N-11 repro they've been selling for the last couple of years, they don't sound ANYTHING like the originals; the originals had a pleasing deep, mellow sound with no raspyness (is that a word?) or resonance.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Tim Gilmore
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

John, yes, it is a wonderful sound. It's a tough decision to install them because when they're gone, they're gone. I try not to worry about it on my '65 and just enjoy. I think that original side pipe systems are better sounding than the reproduction systems, also.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

OK, I know what exhaust you are talking about now. The internals on the OE would be a staggered 2-tube design - flow rate was not one of the attributes of this type of muffler. This type of muffler design, combined with the length of them, would be easy to eliminate (or reduce) excessive resonance. They could be built either with or without packing to absorb sound. The trick to higher flow rate would involve larger diameter flow tubes internally, as well as a design that would be conducive to getting the exhaust to exit the muffler more easily. What were the dimensions of the OE mufflers (length & cross section)? Also, what were the inlet & outlet diameters?

I can probably get blueprints of the OE offroad design.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambered
What were the dimensions of the OE mufflers (length & cross section)? Also, what were the inlet & outlet diameters?

Don't know the dimensions offhand, but all midyear mufflers (except base-engine Powerglides) had 2-1/2" inlets and 2" outlets.

The N-11 muffler assemblies (which included the exhaust pipe from the trans crossmember back) were 3845735 LH and 3845736 RH.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm sure the off the roads are nice, but to pay a high price for an original set-up and install it on the car seems like a waste as the cheap steel they are made from would start to deteriorate very quickly and in a few years it would be "gone"
Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Off-road exhaust is merely bragging rights now on an original invoice. These cars are pressing 40 or more years since construction. I`m going to tell you what muffler to use if you really want a throw back sound. The Walker fiberglass {Hollywood style} round straight muffler will get you where you want to be. Not really actively promoted since the introduction of Walkers Dynomax products. But these sound the same as my original off-road system.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

I built these today: 40" long, 3" body dia., 2.25" neck & core, & special perf pattern in the flow tube. OE was under a 2" flowpath.

(Anybody want to put the pic. up for me - I don't know how to attach the photo?)
Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 Mitch
Just out of curosity (not looking to buy), how much are a set of NOS N-11's going for? My old 67 (sold last Fall) had them as an option.

In 2002, I paid $3500. for an NOS N-11 set.

Mitch
That's about right I have the NOS N-11 on my BB, real nice sound.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:31 PM
noelga
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

e-mail me the picture I will put it up for you.

I built these today: 40" long, 3" body dia., 2.25" neck & core, & special perf pattern in the flow tube. OE was under a 2" flowpath.

(Anybody want to put the pic. up for me - I don't know how to attach the photo?)
Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

OK, I know what exhaust you are talking about now. The internals on the OE would be a staggered 2-tube design - flow rate was not one of the attributes of this type of muffler. This type of muffler design, combined with the length of them, would be easy to eliminate (or reduce) excessive resonance. They could be built either with or without packing to absorb sound. The trick to higher flow rate would involve larger diameter flow tubes internally, as well as a design that would be conducive to getting the exhaust to exit the muffler more easily. What were the dimensions of the OE mufflers (length & cross section)? Also, what were the inlet & outlet diameters?

If you could get the blueprints of the OE offroad muffler that would the the target design. They had a unique sound as described by a few of us in previous threads. Duplicating this, via the same design, would be highly desirable by many (as seen by the number of viewers and contributors to this post).

Is this something feasible?

John
Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When someone is able to duplicate the shell dimensions and get close to the original sound, I'm ready to buy.

I don't want "also fit" mufflers.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gonefishn
If you could get the blueprints of the OE offroad muffler that would the the target design. They had a unique sound as described by a few of us in previous threads. Duplicating this, via the same design, would be highly desirable by many (as seen by the number of viewers and contributors to this post).

Is this something feasible?

John
Let me just say that Walker may have been OE on these. I may find something out tomorrow - I'll let you know.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me just say that Walker may have been OE on these. I may find something out tomorrow - I'll let you know.
Arvin was the major OEM supplier during that period including the Corvette chambered exhaust systems. We handled Arvin then as a distributor.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

ttt
Chambered?

oWen recently shared new additional information.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1516432

Seemed like there was plan or investigation underway within this thread. Would be worth while to manufacture IMO.

John
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

repeating my initial comment.... if you want to know how they're built inside without tearing one up, take it to a materials testing company that can do radiography and talk to them about xraying it.
Bill

Quick Reply: Off Road Exhaust (N11)