C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Title Search--65 Fuel Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Title Search--65 Fuel Car

Has anyone had experience with a title search or title search company.I have a customer with a beautiful 65 fuel car,Marroon with White int. but just discovered the frame is 1963.The owner is now worried that the car was built from other cars.He would like to know how to do a title search.Does anyone know how to tell if a fuel car is real?Any help would be appeciated.Thanks in advance!!!
Roger

Last edited by ...Roger...; 06-27-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than maybe finding out that the car had a salvage title issued at one time, I'm not sure what you are hoping to find out. You already know the frame is a '63. I'd try to authenticate the VIN and trim tags first, then work my way back through the previous owners. The real issue is what did the buyer think he was buying, how was it represented and what did he pay for. You could start with a shell with a good title, make it into anything you wanted and the title would not look a bit different.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

We dont think it is a real fuel car.We would like to have a previous owner verify one way or the other.We traced it back to a guy who owned it for 17 years who said the car was correct but he died last year.When the car was being judged some guys came up at the show and said they new the guy that built the car from scratch and that he had died.There is no tag on the injector.Emblems on front fenders have been filled in and redrilled.Most of the glass in the car has the wrong date coding.The car was represented as very rare and the only 65 fuel car ever built with "white interior"- the interior code is Bk/V-which is black vinyl

Last edited by ...Roger...; 06-27-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Default Ouch !!!

Oh you ask how much he paid,had to call him to find out.$68,000 at Bloomington 2 years ago.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
abedford
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwncchs
The car was represented as very rare and the only 65 fuel car ever built with "white interior"- the interior code is Bk/V-which is black vinyl
Not trying to be too harsh, but this is something that the buyer should have caught WAY before he dropped that kind of money on the car - once glance at the trim tag and one glance in any Corvette reference book would have started waving red flags. Some of the other stuff might require research, but this is Corvette 101 stuff.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The car was represented as very rare and the only 65 fuel car ever built with "white interior"- the interior code is Bk/V-which is black vinyl
There is no such trim combination code as "Bk/V" - if that's on the trim tag, the tag is bogus.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There is no such trim combination code as "Bk/V" - if that's on the trim tag, the tag is bogus.
Sorry its Std which is Bk/V =black vinyl
Old 06-28-2006, 05:12 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

So, does this mean that if I wait until one of my car's previous owners dies I can claim the car is anything I want and blame the dead guy for fraud if I get caught?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Oh you ask how much he paid,had to call him to find out.$68,000 at Bloomington 2 years ago.

Now that you know this is a made up car, like a lot of them, what do you think it's worth now? If it's being juged, it must look good. If I assume it drives as good as it looks, I'm curious what you/the owner thinks the value is.

By the way, I don't believe there is any way to draw a conclusion that there was only "one" '65 fuelie with white interior. It is true the white interiors were not common and few fuelies were sold.

Are you hoping to find the proper person to name in your lawsuit as a defendent by doing a title search? That's the only reason I could see for doing one.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
So, does this mean that if I wait until one of my car's previous owners dies I can claim the car is anything I want and blame the dead guy for fraud if I get caught?
After I die, my kids are going to claim 'Old Blue' is a 435 hp w/AC.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default My 65 coupe #2111 was black with white interior

65 Fuel cars have been my all time favorite car . I have been survaying them since 1977 with good friend Carl Cruz. Currently we have 90 roadsters, 111 coupes, 94 units with their vin numbers and 6 engines with all their stamps intact. Some owners have supplied every little bit of info that exists. Others have not, but at least shared the vin #, color and options as it is today.

White interiors, although rare, were not uncomon in fuel cars. The unfortunate thing with the car in question is that it 'appears' to have been made up. Filled in cross flag holes on the front fenders is the first major clue. Engine wire harness modification is another. Remember there is a start wire solenoid to the injector that was activiated by the start circuit of the ignition.

The radiator support is another major area. The support with the large air hole that supports the s-tube is not a rare item, as that unit was issued for years by Chevrolet parts for a service replacement if a 63-67 small block was in a collision and the body shop needed a new one. The service replacement however, was different from the 'original' installed at the factory when these cars were built.

The fact that only 771 were built in the first place makes authenicating them difficult, as many people have NEVER seen a real one except at a NCRS National Convention or Bloomington Gold show. And those examples have been massaged way beyond the 'original' untouched 11,241 mile original example that recently sold at Bloomington for record dollars.

Remember........paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. If not available, at least some judging certificates will add creditability as at least the car has been inspected by 'experts'

Finally, when buying a vintage Corvette, hire an 'expert' to go with you to inspect a car before you buy it. Get it on the service rack........take the tires off........spend an afternoon crawling all over the car. If a seller is reluctant, then maybe he does not know or does not want to know the real truth. And once you have learned what you have already revealed here, move on to another car. We will all see that rare maroon / white car at the next auction.........far from where ever you live.

Last edited by jimgessner; 06-28-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:11 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeM
Now that you know this is a made up car, like a lot of them, what do you think it's worth now? If it's being juged, it must look good. If I assume it drives as good as it looks, I'm curious what you/the owner thinks the value is.

By the way, I don't believe there is any way to draw a conclusion that there was only "one" '65 fuelie with white interior. It is true the white interiors were not common and few fuelies were sold.

Are you hoping to find the proper person to name in your lawsuit as a defendent by doing a title search? That's the only reason I could see for doing one.
No we dont know yet the car is made up but that is what we trying to find out by talking to previous owners.The car could have been in a bad accident and repaired and still be a real fuel car.Does anyone know of a good title search service?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default What is the vin? It might be in my syrvey?

Since 911, it is about impossible to get any state DMV to give out history of prior owners. Good luck looking.

Liike I said, I have been tracking these cars since 1977. I just might have some prior history on it.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Since 911, it is about impossible to get any state DMV to give out history of prior owners. Good luck looking.

Liike I said, I have been tracking these cars since 1977. I just might have some prior history on it.
Jim --I will get with the customer and send you the VIN in a PM.If the car is not real he will sell it but IT WILL NOT BE MISREPRESENTED.If by some chance it is tried and I know about it I will post it every place I can.I dont care for crooks.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Update--Deal reversed--Customer got a check for $74,000 from the Texas dealer and returned the car.The car was traded before it left Ohio.Last known owner-Mershons World of Cars -Springfield,Ohio

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-09-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default Positive Dealer

Great to see that the Texas dealer is a stand up guy. Most people are honest, even the dealers. But he obviously now has a car on his hands that is worth far less, than the 'real deal'
Old 09-10-2006, 04:12 AM
keithkhd1
Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB69
Other than maybe finding out that the car had a salvage title issued at one time, I'm not sure what you are hoping to find out. You already know the frame is a '63. I'd try to authenticate the VIN and trim tags first, then work my way back through the previous owners. The real issue is what did the buyer think he was buying, how was it represented and what did he pay for. You could start with a shell with a good title, make it into anything you wanted and the title would not look a bit different.
I guess every now and then one gets passed off well enough to pass the scrutiny of Mershons. Kudos to them for refunding the buyers money. Im thankful the car I have was advertised by an honest man, but hey I wonder how many toys the guy who sold it to them died with. Isnt that what the bumper sticker says?

Last edited by keithkhd1; 09-10-2006 at 04:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Title Search--65 Fuel Car

Old 09-10-2006, 07:57 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Great to see that the Texas dealer is a stand up guy. Most people are honest, even the dealers. But he obviously now has a car on his hands that is worth far less, than the 'real deal'
Honest?---Stand Up?---"NO"---His dealership was on the line ! Too many "deals" like this one.He was caught and he new it.Backed in a corner like a RAT waiting for that big shovel to come crashing down.Car worth less? NO again---he made an extra $8000 and that was to another dealer---He is slick but he went back west !

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-10-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Thats the one.

Quick Reply: Title Search--65 Fuel Car