C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil pressure Truth or fiction??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure Truth or fiction??

Hey folks,

I was told by an owner of a '58 fuelly that the High horse engines purposely ran high oil pressure (60-80 psi range). Is this truth or fiction?

I am planning to buy the car regardess (and will post pictures of the car that will end my 5-year-search) but just wanted to know.

I'll warn y'all now, too-- I gonna need a lot of newbie help and you can expect I will be asking plenty-O questions......

thanks in advance,

Ken
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by remotecontroller
Hey folks,

I was told by an owner of a '58 fuelly that the High horse engines purposely ran high oil pressure (60-80 psi range). Is this truth or fiction?

I am planning to buy the car regardess (and will post pictures of the car that will end my 5-year-search) but just wanted to know.

I'll warn y'all now, too-- I gonna need a lot of newbie help and you can expect I will be asking plenty-O questions......

thanks in advance,

Ken

The '58's were not designed that way. That started with mid years. Many refurbed engines have high pressure and/or high volume pumps installed during a re-do. It's not necessary for a street engine.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Thanks for the info-- I know the seller didn't rebuild the current engine so should I be concerned about the high pressure or just blow it off (pun intended)?

The engine has been in the car since he bought it (1981) and he has only put 6600 miles on it in 10-12 years (that is when he put in a refurbished speedo). I assume it has been like this the whole time.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by remotecontroller
Thanks for the info-- I know the seller didn't rebuild the current engine so should I be concerned about the high pressure or just blow it off (pun intended)?

The engine has been in the car since he bought it (1981) and he has only put 6600 miles on it in 10-12 years (that is when he put in a refurbished speedo). I assume it has been like this the whole time.

I wouldn't be concerned about it but be advised a high pressure and/or high volume pump can suck a pan dry pretty quick at high rpm, expecially if they get a little low on oil.

If it bothers you, pop the pan off and replace the pump. $35 in parts and your labor.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:54 AM
kidvette
Pro

First thing I would do is verify the oil pressure with a after market quality oil gauge to make sure it is actually high.Some of these original gauges are not that accurate or could have restrictions in the line or trash in the gauge.Then if it still reads high go from there.
Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidvette
First thing I would do is verify the oil pressure with a after market quality oil gauge to make sure it is actually high.Some of these original gauges are not that accurate or could have restrictions in the line or trash in the gauge.Then if it still reads high go from there.
Good Luck!

Good point.....

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure Truth or fiction??

Quick Reply: Oil pressure Truth or fiction??