C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
wudnwgn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Brake Conversion

Hi
I have a 64 Corvette with front drum brakes. The rear end is missing in the car and I have a chance to buy a 65-67 complete rear end that has Disc Brakes. Can I convert the 64 front drum brakes to disc. brakes without changing the front spindles or do I need to find some disc brake spindles (and will they just bolt in)? Will 75-77 corvette front disc brakes spindles interchange with my 64?
Can the rear disc brakes on this rear end be converted to drums?
What is the most economical way to go? I'm trying to bring this car back to life and it is just going to be a driver
Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure can. As a matter of fact i have an extra set of 65-67 front spindles and one caliper bracket. They have been blasted and powdercoated with a clear powder. The caliper bracket is powdercoated semigloss black. If you want them let me know and i will come up with a price. You will need the hubs and new bearings plus the steering arms though. It might be better just to buy a set of baer brakes for around 800.00. HOwever, you should be able to get setup for around 500.00 on 65-67 front discs.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Here is the Baer conversion. Personally this is what i would go with over the stock goodies.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wilwo...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-21-2006, 03:18 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

And I would recommend throwing on a '67 dual master cylinder while you're at it.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:06 PM
wudnwgn
Instructor

Thanks for the help. My other question was, will my 75-77 Corvette disc. brake spindles work with my 64 Corvette A- arms?
Thanks again
Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,196 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by wudnwgn
Thanks for the help. My other question was, will my 75-77 Corvette disc. brake spindles work with my 64 Corvette A- arms?
Thanks again
Yes, I have a disk set-up with '77 spindles on my '64.

When I got mine, one of the steering brackets was bent so I used the brackets from the '64. This required me to bore out the '64 bolt hole one size. If you use the later steering brackets off the '77, you may need to enlarge the hole in the steering rod one size, but I can't confirm this. Either way, it's easy.

You will change the steering geometry, slightly, and will need an alignment afterwards. Also, if you use the stock (or many after market) wheels, you will need a 1/8" spacer plate to clear the calipers.

I retained the rear drums, but use an M.C off a '70s manual brake Corvette with excellent results and pedal feel. These are cheap at the auto parts store, but often the top lip is buggered/distorted. I found (the hard way), that this can cause leaks around the cap. Best thing to do is turn it over and pass it over some fine sand paper to smooth the lip. Be sure to put tape over the ports and clean it out well when done.

For a rear drum setup, you must install a proportioning valve and 10# residual valve in the rear line. If you retain the rear drums, you don't need to deal with making up a parking brake bracket and the assocaited hardware/hassles. The front disks do over 60 percent of the work, and Corvette drums aren't all that bad to begin with. They are just prone to the ills of drums.., (e.g., water, fade, etc.,) and we are into more competitive driving. (That's one of the beauties of a non-stock driver.)

While I was at it, I replaced the rubber lines with braided teflon lines and added a line lock to the front brakes.

Last edited by toddalin; 04-22-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:49 PM
wudnwgn
Instructor

Thanks Toddalin
In my initial post, I stated that my 64 has a none original rear end and I have a line on a 75 disc brake rear end and was sure if the rears are disc I would want the front to be the same. I aslo have a 75-77 frame with front suspension and wanted to interchange the parts if possible.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,196 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by wudnwgn
Thanks Toddalin
In my initial post, I stated that my 64 has a none original rear end and I have a line on a 75 disc brake rear end and was sure if the rears are disc I would want the front to be the same. I aslo have a 75-77 frame with front suspension and wanted to interchange the parts if possible.
Thanks
Recognize that you still may need to do some "bubba-ing" to hang the parking brake cable. '70s parking brakes are in the center console and '64 cables come out from the firewall.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
BAmacker
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that if you're not going to run it hard, you're wasting your time converting to disc brakes. Discs add substantial benefit from resistance to fade from heat, but many owners will never need it. Adding a power booster and '67 MC to my '63 gave me all of the braking I could ever want, and the safety of a dual system. The pedal is high and stops like it's got four wheel discs, and I've never had the drums fade on me.

Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
wudnwgn
Instructor

Default Out in the sun too long

Sorry
I think I've been out in the sun too long (haven't seen it in a while) and have caused some confushion. I have a 64 Corvette, I'm looking at a 65 disc brake rear end to replace my non original straight axle rear end. One of my questions was; will 75-77 front disc brake spindles bolt on my 64 so the car will have 4 wheel disc brakes. Since I don't have a 64 drum brake rear end I'm forced to go to the disc brakes, even though I probably won't need them with my driving. The next question would be is there a parking brake hookup problem with a 65 rear end in my 64?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The '75-'77 front spindles will bolt right up to your existing '64 control arms and ball joints, and if the spindles include the steering arms, you won't have to modify anything.

The '65 rear suspension will bolt right in, but you'll need to remove the jounce bumper brackets that stick outboard of the frame rails and replace them with the '65-up variety that locate below the frame rail; they'll interfere with the rear calipers. You'll also need to check for interference between the inboard side of the rear calipers and the outside of the frame rail at full jounce - the '65 frame has an indentation in it to clear the calipers.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I thought you had to use offset trailing arms to be able to get away with using the discs on the rear of the 63 and 64 models due to the frame not being recessed for clearance of the calipers.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
BAmacker
Pro

Sounds like a lot of trouble and grief for something you've admitted you won't really need. Why not look for a drum brake '63-4 setup that you can bolt in? (after removing/cutting brackets installed for the straight axle) It seems this would be cheaper and easier in the long run. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think there would be a lot of demand for drum brake setups. It's always nice in the future when you need a parking brake widget that you can call and order one, rather fabbing or trying to find what fits....

Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BAmacker
Sounds like a lot of trouble and grief for something you've admitted you won't really need. Why not look for a drum brake '63-4 setup that you can bolt in? (after removing/cutting brackets installed for the straight axle) It seems this would be cheaper and easier in the long run. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think there would be a lot of demand for drum brake setups. It's always nice in the future when you need a parking brake widget that you can call and order one, rather fabbing or trying to find what fits....

Good Luck!

Straight axle???????
Old 04-23-2006, 02:27 PM
BAmacker
Pro

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Straight axle???????

Scroll up about 5 threads and read this thread:

Sorry
I think I've been out in the sun too long (haven't seen it in a while) and have caused some confushion. I have a 64 Corvette, I'm looking at a 65 disc brake rear end to replace my non original straight axle rear end.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Here is one of what you need on ebay if you chose to go with drums on the rear. El cheapo!!! 29.00 for a complete trailing arm assembly-wow. Of course it will need to be rebuilt by someone like van steel. You could have it shipped directly to him for rebuild to save on shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
wudnwgn
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses to my questions. My best bet might be to continue looking for a 63-64 drum brake rear end.
If I have no luck on the above search will I need offset trailing arms to put a 65 disc brake rear end in a 64 frame?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Disc Brake Conversion

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Conversion