C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anybody else have problems with Ecklers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody else have problems with Ecklers?

1. They sent me the wrong flywheel.
2. I've been waiting for a set of sway bars for 7 weeks now-what the??
I called ecklers last week and they said they had shipped. No packages this week so i called again and they said they were still on back order.
So, i cancelled my order. They used to be my favorite company, but not anymore. Looks like i will be turning to volunteer vettes once again.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
dmentzer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'll tell you what. Back in September I requested a catalog. Then in October I requested a catalog. Then in November I requested a catalog. I'm still waiting and will not ask again. It's their loss as I have been spending a bunch with the other guys.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between my brother and I, we spent thousands with Ecklers. Then when the one piece front end for my brother's car showed up at my place, it was damaged in shipping. The shipper pointed out the damage to my wife who was the only one home at the time. He also wrote something that was unlegible on the shipping bill. When I got home that night, I took pictures of the damage, called my brother, and sent him the pictures. My brother contacted Ecklers the next morning and informed them of the damage. They would not correct the problem claiming we did not properly notify the shipper of the damage. We felt that we had done everything reasonably expected of the customer.

Since then, we have spent several times more money on our two cars, not a penny of it with Ecklers.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I'll bet they're never back-ordered on t-shirts, jackets, and jewelry - that's what they're best at (not correct Corvette parts)
Old 03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

WOW Tell IT LIKE IT IS JOHN Z...........
Old 03-10-2006, 04:25 PM
64vettegal
Racer

When I first started restoration on my vert back in January my ex-husband told me about Ecklers. 90% of what I ordered was backordered. I wasted my money joining their restoration club.

The moral to this story. Don't take an ex-spouse's word for anything and don't order parts from Ecklers.

Last edited by 64vettegal; 03-10-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
BlueShark29
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
I called ecklers last week and they said they had shipped. No packages this week so i called again and they said they were still on back order.
So, i cancelled my order. They used to be my favorite company, but not anymore. Looks like i will be turning to volunteer vettes once again.
I think their quality has really gone down hill.
I remember when they made their own fiberglass parts, I ordered a '67 BB hood to put on my '65 coupe as I wanted to put a high rise intake on it and needed the clearance. I received it and the center hump (hinge side) was 1/2" higher than the nose on the body (no hit car and it is not sagging).
I called Eckler's service dept. and was tranferred to another dept. several times and lost in "on hold". After the third attempt to contact a real person, I gave up calling and filed the center hump the clear the body.
I will never order from Ecklers again.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Yup..I have problems with them also. I sold my C4 6 years ago and drive a C5.. I never get C5 catalogs only C4. I even spoke to them at BG Ky and asked them to correct it. Never happened. The topper is when I ordered Lloyd mats for my C5 and the front and rear cargo are different color and they won't even acknowledge my call on the issue.
So now I just chose where I want to spend my $$. It might be at the place you mentioned, but I will look elsewhere first. 99 Nassau Blue
Old 03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been buying parts on and off from Ecklers for 30 years. In the last year or two, I have been very dissapointed with their quality and service. I placed an order with them a few weeks ago, all small parts. Some are still on back order, and they did not tell me at the time I ordered them, that they were out of stock. If I had known, I would have ordered elsewhere. I have begun to seriously look at other sources including Paragon and Dr. Rebuild, and will think long and hard before I order from Ecklers again, if at all.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
61 Silver
Racer

I purchased jewel blue carpet set for my 1961 from Eckelrs. I noticed a discoloration or fading (turned brown) in the carpet as I was putting the car a way for the Winter. I called them when I was readying the car for the first spring drive to check on warranty and replacement carpet. They told me that because I did not report the problem prior to the year warranty, (was over by just a few days) they could not help me even though the problem accrued during the warranty time period. This was three Restoration projects ago and they have not seen one penny from me since and never will!

Ray
Old 03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I've bought from them since they were THE source for fiberglass and upholstery items and have to agree it's not the same company any more. Backordered items are a big problem, and if there's a cheap replacement part, you can bet that's what you'll get from them. They are convenient for me, and I still buy small parts from them...when they're in stock. But it's 'buyer beware' for sure.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Until late 2004 we lived in the next county south from Ecklers and over the years I've done lot$ of business with them. At one time it was a full-service outfit with a body/paint shop and a repair shop, in addition to all of the fiberglass and interior manufacuring they once did.

I saw them start to fade back in the 90's when outside investors took over the previously family-run business. Over time they've closed their shops, really cut back on manufacturing their own parts, shrank their showroom operations, etc etc. And they were among the first places I encountered the Hencho En China-type labels on Vette parts such as Light Switches and Ignition Switches.

If they had a part I needed in stock, it was convenient for me to run up there and inspect it before purchasing, but that's no longer an option.

But they've still got some great people working there and I really miss the Reunions in the Fall.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ecklers has the original tooling from GM for the 65-67 sidepipe covers and the GM Restoration license to make them. Probably all the real parts they care about. PT
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 PM
BlownGlass
Instructor

Default It take awhile

After all there being shipped from china along with everything else
Old 03-10-2006, 09:19 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I'm really glad that this topic got started as I am looking for a one piece front end for my '66. I was thinking about getting it from Ecklers as I understood that their quality was very high. The only problem is that they are 3000 miles from where I live and the freight bill would be huge. There is a company called Corvette Image in Gresham, Oregon , which is only 300 miles away, but I have no idea what their quality is like. Has anyone out there bought front ends from them? Or does anyone know of other places to purchase one? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Norm63
Intermediate

Actally I have not had a bad experience with Ecklers. I did order some gaskets for my heater core etc and they were back ordered. After about a week I called them and they sent me the gaskets out of inventory at no cost. When I asked about the gaskets on the original order they said keep it when it arrives,no need to return it. guess what. My Jan 26 order just arrived today 3/10. In the meantime I had recieved the "no cost" gasgets about a month ago. For me, they stood behind thier service and I will order from them again. By the way, anybody need heater core gaskets?
Norm
Old 03-11-2006, 01:52 AM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm63
Actally I have not had a bad experience with Ecklers. I did order some gaskets for my heater core etc and they were back ordered. After about a week I called them and they sent me the gaskets out of inventory at no cost. When I asked about the gaskets on the original order they said keep it when it arrives,no need to return it. guess what. My Jan 26 order just arrived today 3/10. In the meantime I had recieved the "no cost" gasgets about a month ago. For me, they stood behind thier service and I will order from them again. By the way, anybody need heater core gaskets?
Norm
YES, I do!
I have not yet ordered my heater core or heater core kit but am at that stage.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody else have problems with Ecklers?

Old 03-11-2006, 05:18 AM
msm
Racer

My dad has had recent terrible experience with Ecklers. I just ordered a lot of stuff from Volunteer which came in 2 days and seems to be of good quality.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Frapps
Pro

Originally Posted by buns
I'm really glad that this topic got started as I am looking for a one piece front end for my '66. I was thinking about getting it from Ecklers as I understood that their quality was very high. The only problem is that they are 3000 miles from where I live and the freight bill would be huge. There is a company called Corvette Image in Gresham, Oregon , which is only 300 miles away, but I have no idea what their quality is like. Has anyone out there bought front ends from them? Or does anyone know of other places to purchase one? Thanks in advance.
I bought a one piece front end for my 64 just over a year ago from Corvette Image. The fit and quality was pretty good but the packaging sucked. Fortunately it wasn't damaged in shipping. I'd use them again.

Frapps
Old 03-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Problems with Eckler's?

Nope, not in the last 10-11 years because I haven't given them the chance.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have problems with Ecklers?