C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Poly VS rubber front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
vtwinkurt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly VS rubber front end rebuild

What is the best front end rebuild kit rubber or polyurethane? This is for my 64 vert which I want to drive hard, I have 4 wheel disk brakes. Who makes good kits? Performance Suspensions is local here in Arizona. They make a kit with coils, shocks, sway bar and all the moving parts for around $800. Some people tell me the poly is too stiff but will last. They do not sell a rear leaf though.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

personally, i'd stick with the rubber.
i've been in cars where they were replaced with the poly once and they squeak like crazy, especially if it's colder out. the squeaky noise can drive you nuts!
They say the poly ones are supposed to last longer, but many of these cars still have the original rubber in them for 40 years or so. i'd imagine that replacing with rubber ones to last another 40 years is good enough for me.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:41 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd recommend rubber for everything except anti-sway bar bushing and links as it can offer some improvement in responsiveness there. But they can and will squeak too!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
vtwinkurt
Instructor

Performance Suspensions claim to have graphite in the poly to avoid squeaks, but I have never been in a car with it. Who makes a good rubber kit?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put poly everything in my father's 64 coupe and it doesnt squeak at all. , Over 2,000 miles so far. Oh, and the car handles awesome-actually it might be a little too repsonsive. I purchased all poly bushings for my 65 as well.
My theory-i havent heard any squeaks and i have excellent hearing. so, if you hear squeaks perhaps your exhaust is too quiet and your cam too mild. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have poly in my 63 and it is a firmer more responsive ride.
It will last longer but how long is long enough?
It will sqeek once in a while but only over a speed bump or something that requires a lot of suspension travel.It mostly comes down to do you want poly for the performance or longer life?
If its the longer life then IMO use rubber because it will last for 40 years if the car is maintained properly.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
66 big block
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
I'd recommend rubber for everything except anti-sway bar bushing and links as it can offer some improvement in responsiveness there. But they can and will squeak too!
anyone ever have luck getting rid of squeek with some kind of lube
Old 02-23-2006, 05:18 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sprayed mine with silicone spray.It worked for a while but it came back.I believe it is the front sway bar.It only does it once in a while.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vtwinkurt
Performance Suspensions claim to have graphite in the poly to avoid squeaks, but I have never been in a car with it. Who makes a good rubber kit?
I have had the Performance Suspension polygraphite in my 65 for two years. No squeaks. But as Barry points out - cold here is 46 degrees so they never really get cold.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
bondtimbond
Instructor

I have poly for a couple of years and no squeaks and some cold weather too. In talking with the supplier (Vette Brakes), they say most squeaking is associated with excessive tight clearance between the flat washers that are on the ends of the bushings. If you install the bushings such that you have the clearance that the instructions describe (but the instructions are very confusing which doesn't help the condition), then in my experience no squeaks. It is my feeling that most people might just install the bushings as they come and not shave the ends down (which is often required) to get the required clearance.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

This is such a large project, I would not chance it.

Few things seem worse then having to re-do the suspension.

Mark
Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 AM
65coupe
Pro

What is the best front end rebuild kit rubber or polyurethane? This is for my 64 vert which I want to drive hard, I have 4 wheel disk brakes. Who makes good kits? Performance Suspensions is local here in Arizona. They make a kit with coils, shocks, sway bar and all the moving parts for around $800. Some people tell me the poly is too stiff but will last. They do not sell a rear leaf though.
I put graphite inpregnated polys in my 66 four years ago. Absolutely no squeaks and they last forever with improved handling. Rubber has a short life even if they appear in good shape, after 5-7 years they have lost much of their functional life.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

POLY - no complaints
Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
vtwinkurt
Instructor

Thanks guys, I think the poly is the way to go if you drive the car(hard). I didnt buy the car for the soft ride. I will change the rubber, shocks, sway bar and all moving parts in the front and see what I get. I agree that if it sqeeks too loud you need louder exhaust!

Get notified of new replies

To Poly VS rubber front end rebuild

Quick Reply: Poly VS rubber front end rebuild