C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 4 speed sticks in 2nd gear...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM
vtwinkurt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 4 speed sticks in 2nd gear...help!

Just bought my first C2. The shifter sticks in 2nd gear, it wont go out of gear, I have to clime under and flip the middle shift rod back so it will work for a short time. Is a bent shift fork in the bellhouseing or bad linkage? Whats a good replacement shifter so I can drive this car. Any one in Phoenix recommend someone to work on this? By the way everyone seems to think a 64 driver should sell for under 25K. Have you looked lately? I paid 25,900 and felt like I stole it. Wheres all these cheap cars everyone talks about?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chances are that your linkage simply needs adjustment. In other words, the neutral gates are not aligned or maybe one of the rods is too long. THe clutch scissor spring couild be broken too.....

Brian
Old 02-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until you get it fixed, shift carefully in an H pattern and it should work. The problem usually occurs as you cross the neutral gate. Keep hand pessure away from the gear you are going to until you hit neutral. If it is not a show car, get a hurst shifter. You'll be glad you did. If it is a hurst, take it apart, clean it up, lube it and adjust it using a 1/4 inch rod to hold it in neutral. You can't just let a new car sit without driving it can you?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Usually I think it causes more problem getting into a gear than out of one but it's also possible some of the shift arm bushings are missing, worn or broke. A bushing kit is cheap to pick up at a speed shop.

Dan
Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinkurt
Just bought my first C2. The shifter sticks in 2nd gear, it wont go out of gear, I have to clime under and flip the middle shift rod back so it will work for a short time. Is a bent shift fork in the bellhouseing or bad linkage? Whats a good replacement shifter so I can drive this car. Any one in Phoenix recommend someone to work on this? By the way everyone seems to think a 64 driver should sell for under 25K. Have you looked lately? I paid 25,900 and felt like I stole it. Wheres all these cheap cars everyone talks about?

If you bought a car with no major issues with body, paint and mechanical, I wouldn't worry about what you gave for it. You didn't get hurt.

Don't even think about changing your stock shifter to a Hurst unless you drive a car so equipped. You might not like it. Then again, you might. Your problem is as has been stated. Adjustment, dirty, dry linkage, loose, missing or broken parts. None of it is hard to fix.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 4 speed sticks in 2nd gear...help!

Quick Reply: 64 4 speed sticks in 2nd gear...help!