C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Backfire Through Carb

Old 03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Silver '65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Backfire Through Carb

Have '65 NOM 350 with an Edelbrock performer carb.

Just in the last few weeks it has started (what sounds to me like ) backfiring through the carb ever so slightly while driving. I can't repeat it when idleing in the the drive way. It's driving me crazy that I can't figure out what the problem is.

Assuming this is what's going on, then isn't this indicative of a lean condition? Isn't that fixed through the air/fuel mixture screws at the front of the carb?

If so - How would I adjust this? Something like turning them 3 turns and then 1/8 more or something?

If that isn't it, I have a suspicion that there may be a slight exhaust manifold leak - can that create the same sort of problem?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Lean.

Idle screws only work at idle. Jets take care of everything else, though you could have a dirty transition circuit depending on what throttle postion is.

Exhaust leaks only affect exhuast backfires. Do you have manifold or other vacuum leak, like a split hose or stuck PCV valve that is causing your problem?

Doug
Old 03-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Silver '65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right about the idle screw, that's air/fuel jets is what I meant. (Listen to what I mean, not what I say!!her. ) Isn't the general adjustment three full turns & then another 1/8, or am I making that up?

I checked the vac hoses & they seem to be all right. Unless there's a leak between the carb & manifold, I don't think there's anything there, either.

Would an exhaust leak also make a sound similar to a slight carb backfire? Like I say, it only occurs when I'm driving and take my foot off the gas.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem. Lots of good info in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...um_id=4&arch=1
Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
cheesecake
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you driving steady throttle or are you hitting the throttle accelerating? At what RPM? If you drive at a higher RPM does it pop back thru the carb?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver '65
Would an exhaust leak also make a sound similar to a slight carb backfire? Like I say, it only occurs when I'm driving and take my foot off the gas.
To someome that isn't familar with the difference, yes, an exhaust backfire could sound like a carb backfire. That your sound occurs when you let off the gas suggests that you're hearing an exhaust sound instead of a carb sound. Some of the possible causes are a rich carb mixture, fouled plug, bad ignition wire, bad plug connection, not enough ignition advance. Any of those could result in excess unburnt fuel in the exhaust that ignites when you let off the throttle. Another possibility is a leak in your exhaust system.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have '65 NOM 350 with an Edelbrock performer carb.

Just in the last few weeks it has started (what sounds to me like ) backfiring through the carb ever so slightly while driving. I can't repeat it when idleing in the the drive way. It's driving me crazy that I can't figure out what the problem is.

Assuming this is what's going on, then isn't this indicative of a lean condition? Isn't that fixed through the air/fuel mixture screws at the front of the carb?

If so - How would I adjust this? Something like turning them 3 turns and then 1/8 more or something?

If that isn't it, I have a suspicion that there may be a slight exhaust manifold leak - can that create the same sort of problem?

Thanks for any insight!
Starting point on stock motor is 1 1/2 turns Not 3+
Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Isn't the general adjustment three full turns & then another 1/8, or am I making that up? Would an exhaust leak also make a sound similar to a slight carb backfire? Like I say, it only occurs when I'm driving and take my foot off the gas.
You don't adjust idle mixture by "turns"; you adjust those screws with a vacuum gauge, and adjust them for the highest steady vacuum reading - every car is different.

When you take your foot off the gas while driving down the road, you are instantly feeding fuel to the engine from the idle system (not from the main metering system); if the idle mixture adjustment is too lean, you'll get afterfiring.

Get notified of new replies

To Backfire Through Carb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backfire Through Carb