C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why does my clutch shutter during low rpm launces?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by brucep
The car is a 66 with L-79 and M21.

The clutch operation used to be perfectly smooth during low rpm takeoffs in 1st gear. Now there is a bit of a shutter if I let the clutch out slowly during low rpm starts (at or below 1500 rpms). Before I noticed this shutter I had dragged the clutch a bit while moving slowly up a steep grassy incline on a hot day behind a row of slow moving cars. After, I got out of the car and could smell something. I assumed I had overheated the clutch disk.

Would this cause my shutter? But whatever caused it, what options do I have for getting the clutch back to smooth engagements at low rpms? The clutch has about 5K miles on it, and I never abuse it (but for this one incident).

Thanks
Go Here..Luk Clutches...
http://www.lukclutch.com/support/dia..._chatter.phtml

Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by brucep
So one school of thought is get rough with it and that will smooth it out, the other is replace it before it totally comes apart?

Another way to look at this is, replace everything in the clutch actuating system including the clutch, the motor mounts, labor and you spend $1000. Or you can drive it awhile and see what happens for nothing.

$1000 or nothing. Easiest thing in the world for people to do is to spend your money for you. If your clutch has 5000 miles on it from new and not been abused and you slipped it a little one time, it shouldn't be hurt. If it is, it was defective to start with.

Your money, your choice. My money says drive it.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:26 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I consulted my trusted mechanic, who is also a vintage race car restorer, and former Corvette race car preparer, and former racer. He says thoroughly lube the linkage before doing anything. But what fun is that?

Last edited by brucep; 02-11-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does my clutch shutter during low rpm launces?