C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

powerglide transmission help- advice, tips & pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 PM
pusher_sr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default powerglide transmission help- advice, tips & pictures

looks like i've got myself another late winter project. there's a clunking (a small jerking) in the shifting of my powerglide. not an actual shifting from low to drive, but as i leave a stoplight the automatic shifting up in gears. there's NO slipping of the bands in the trany that i experienced many years ago (66 chevelle), so i guess something's broke or out of line.
can anyone pass along any tips or information on what i'm going to find once the trany is taken apart. any pictures of the guts of these transmissions would be great. and i won't even ask if this is a big job. i'm gonna presume it is and the driving season is about 4 to 6 weeks away.
i've never attempted a major job like this before so, thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you DIY, you need an old "Motors Repair Manual". They have an excellent section on auto trans. Pick one up at a swap meet.
I did a Corvair powerglide several years ago and had no problems. The 'Vair glide is about 2/3 the size of the full size, same difference.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:47 PM
soppeng
Instructor

There is a copy of Theory and Diagnosis - Chevrolet Automatic Transmissions at the following website. It includes the powerglide. This is the Old Car Manual website.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/T...971/index.html
Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 PM
toadster
Instructor

Default Powerglide clunk

Is the clunk/noise/jerking when you leave from a stop and it shifts up? Does it sound like a real "clunk"?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
dfolse62
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerglides are simple and can be repaired by most shops. Remember, they are a hot item on drag strips and are not considered old timey. This should be a reasonable rebuild, just don't mention corvette, just say chevy! Parts are available everywhere, don't panic. Good luck! Darrel
Old 01-25-2006, 11:29 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This should be a reasonable rebuild, just don't mention corvette, just say chevy!

When you belly up to the parts counter just say "Chebby", never admit you are buying vet parts as they are priced much higher.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
pusher_sr
Instructor

Originally Posted by toadster
Is the clunk/noise/jerking when you leave from a stop and it shifts up? Does it sound like a real "clunk"?
it's not a very loud clunk, but more of a little jerking motion. yes, it's when i just leave a stop light, maybe doing about 5-10 mph and the same thing when coming to a stop at a light- on the downshift motion. hope that describes it better.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
dfolse62
Pro

I don't know a lot about these, perhaps a small adjustment would work. It might be worthwhile to check the vacuum modulator. It screws in the back, driver side. It should have a vacuum line to it. It could have fallen off.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Frapps
Pro

Originally Posted by pusher_sr
it's not a very loud clunk, but more of a little jerking motion. yes, it's when i just leave a stop light, maybe doing about 5-10 mph and the same thing when coming to a stop at a light- on the downshift motion. hope that describes it better.

Hmmmm, u-joint?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dfolse62
I don't know a lot about these, perhaps a small adjustment would work. It might be worthwhile to check the vacuum modulator. It screws in the back, driver side. It should have a vacuum line to it. It could have fallen off.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM
chrisdev
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to agree with dfolse62 and Tom99. I had the same thing happen with my PG and it turned out to be a split in the vacuum hose at the manifold fitting.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:37 PM
VFW NO.11548
Racer

Yep sorta sounds like a vacuum leak to the modulator,usually causes a severe upshift and downshift, your motor should be running a little rough because of the vacuum leak, you would really know if the modulators diagram is ripped,it will start sucking trans fluid into the engine and you'll swear you lost the rings (smoke)

Get notified of new replies

To powerglide transmission help- advice, tips & pictures

Quick Reply: powerglide transmission help- advice, tips & pictures