C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wire KOs on a Midyear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Wire KOs on a Midyear.

I have always wanted period wire KOs on my 66. I bought a set of 5 'fair' condition (15x5.5) Dayton wire wheels and adapters at Carsilie this year. They needed reconditioning so I checked into rechroming $400 per wheel! Yeow. I decided to check out powder coating. I asked if anyone had done it and got no answers so here is the saga.

1. Found a local place that would coat a color and clear for $80 per wheel.
2. Went to put them on and damn, they were for drum brakes.
3. Got a 1/2 in spacer, the lug bolts were too short. Get new lug bolts and got the fronts in but you have to take the rear hub apart to put a long stud in the rear. Used mag wheel bolts but had to drill the adapter for size.

Final look.
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/misc/66wire4.jpg
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/misc/66wire3.jpg
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/misc/66wire2.jpg
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/misc/66wire1.jpg

The tie wrap tells me its loose, probably will safety wire them later.

Tyler
Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh, that musta been fun!

Shoulda asked me - when I had those KH wires rechromed, added stainless spokes and sealed for tubeless it was about $2400 for 5 of 'em...and that was in '93 or '94!

Why doncha have 'em powdercoated blue to match the car?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:02 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

I'd sure hate to have to true those wheels up!
Is there problems with the spokes after hitting bumps in the road?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 65convt
I'd sure hate to have to true those wheels up!
Is there problems with the spokes after hitting bumps in the road?
There was no true problems with these wheels. They are strong enough for normal driving.

Bill
I talked to you about yours but I was doing this for a driver unlike that trailer queen you have. LOL
I liked the silver color PC better.

Tyler
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
California Cowgirl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 70's we bought Appliance wire wheels for our 61 Vette. The car has set for over 25 years(they were solid rust) and because we love the classic look of wire wheels we started pricing them... SHOCK!!! Well we started watching ebay and found a set of Craiger wire wheels, 50 spokes in show condition that were on a 32 roadster show car. The owner wanted to put slicks on the car (go figure) so he put the wire wheels on Ebay. We won the bid as as he did not live to far away we went to pick them up. He threw in the new tires that had only 50 miles on them FREE!!!

Got them home excited to put them on the 61 and guess what...The front spindles on a stock straight axle extend out over 3/4 of an inck and did not let the wheel seat against the hub...We contacted Boyd Cottington and one of his help suggested an aluminum spacer (1 inch) It came with a Chevy to Chevy bolt pattern... all we had to do is bolt them on, then the receiving studs on the spacer allowed the wire wheel to bolt up properly. They look Marvalous!!! but what a hassel trying to find a way for them to work. Tires and wheels 500.00 not bad !!!

Last edited by California Cowgirl; 12-29-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Bill
I talked to you about yours but I was doing this for a driver unlike that trailer queen you have. LOL
I liked the silver color PC better.

Tyler
Another insult like that and I'll never let you drive it top-down in a monsoon again!

Get notified of new replies

To Wire KOs on a Midyear.

Quick Reply: Wire KOs on a Midyear.