C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Midyear Market Values

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
gpizz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Midyear Market Values

Have midyear prices peaked,have they flat lined, or are they ready to slide and if so , how much?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by gpizz
Have midyear prices peaked,have they flat lined, or are they ready to slide and if so , how much?
None of the above
Old 12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

They seem to remain strong. Looking forward to seeing how this year's Barrett Jackson auction results go.

Just glad I bought mine before it went crazy the past couple of years.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They seem to have been fairly flat the past 6 months or so.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Supersportt396
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices

I think you have the prices flat for last 6 months also, BUT after Barrett Jackson and with Springtime coming they will start to rise again. It has happened the last 2 years I have been following Corvettes. Its always easy to buy in winter when nobody has the storage space, but after watching Barrett Jackson it gets the blood flowing and cash comes out. JMHO
Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I think their value is going to follow the stock market.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supersportt396
I think you have the prices flat for last 6 months also, BUT after Barrett Jackson and with Springtime coming they will start to rise again. It has happened the last 2 years I have been following Corvettes. Its always easy to buy in winter when nobody has the storage space, but after watching Barrett Jackson it gets the blood flowing and cash comes out. JMHO
Old 12-27-2005, 08:52 PM
hansenisu
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 63C2splitter
Looking forward to seeing how this year's Barrett Jackson auction results go.
If you own a BB car, then BJ is probably a good leading indicator. Too bad we don't see many SB cars on there, but I guess they don't bring the dollars and prestige that BJ wants or the ratings that Speed wants. Those announcers always seem to talk down our SB cars like they were 6cyl Mustangs.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

The trend for the past 5 years has been, November through Feburary the prices are flat, March through June the prices rise, then July through October the prices increase a little due to the major auctions (less Barrett and Jackson). I think B&J only effect internet Ebay prices. Seems like for most mid years they are increasing at about 3% per year average...63's SWC and 67 BB seam to lead...for some reason I have been noticing a big rise in the 62. Then all BB do well, even the 1964 Vert and Coupe are rising, seeing more and more of them selling in mid thirties.... My references are Hemmings, Hemming Muscle Car, and the Corvette Mags....check them out and you will see....
Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
The trend for the past 5 years has been, November through Feburary the prices are flat, March through June the prices rise, then July through October the prices increase a little due to the major auctions (less Barrett and Jackson). I think B&J only effect internet Ebay prices. Seems like for most mid years they are increasing at about 3% per year average...63's SWC and 67 BB seam to lead...for some reason I have been noticing a big rise in the 62. Then all BB do well, even the 1964 Vert and Coupe are rising, seeing more and more of them selling in mid thirties.... My references are Hemmings, Hemming Muscle Car, and the Corvette Mags....check them out and you will see....
So if corvettes are increasing at about 3% per year average, than the market is not flat.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:13 AM
stngry63
Racer

No offense to anyone, but I can never understand why people want Corvettes to go up in value. If they stay cheap, we can buy more. And people would drive them more without a worry about the car being too precious.

The best way to make money is to buy and sell a car quickly as a used car.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by stngry63
No offense to anyone, but I can never understand why people want Corvettes to go up in value. If they stay cheap, we can buy more. And people would drive them more without a worry about the car being too precious.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they stay cheap, we can buy more. And people would drive them more without a worry about the car being too precious.
The main problem with that senerio is that GM stopped making them 40 years ago..... and there is only a finite number left..... well.... except for the 67 427/435 Vettes..... they're still being made.....
Old 12-28-2005, 08:48 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

other than the disadvantage of taking a big financial hit on my current Vette, i'd love to see the market on the C1's, C2's, and early C3's fall flat, far, and hard so I can buy more of them to ENJOY.
I'd love nothing more to have multiple vettes in the garage and enjoy driving them all and experience the differences between the generations, etc but with the market prices as they are now I'm lucky to have been able to buy my '65 and god knows if and when I'll ever be able to afford another one.

I think it's the guys buying them for "investments" are the ones driving the pricing constantly up. These are CARS and meant to be driven and enjoyed. By the time you buy them, fix them up, maintain them, insure them while you own it, etc just how much money are you really planning on making as a profit on them unless it's a rare car such as a L88, L89, ZL1, original Z06, etc.
Most of our cars are not these "special, rare" cars and should be bought just as enjoyment, not an investment.
You want an investment, buy gold, stocks, gems, whatever but stay out of the Corvette (and other cars) world.

don't get me wrong, it's nice to see the value on my car stay where it is or go up, but at the same time I don't ever plan on selling it so what's the advantage and I'd happily see the value take a huge hit if it means the prices come down so I could buy more cars.

just my $.02
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I think too many people get caught up in the $ concern. Most of us are better at making money at what we typically do for a living.

It seems to me that the people that worry about the values of these cars either have more $ in the car than they are comfortable with or are perhaps are over extended.

$50K in a midyear or an I-bond at 4.5% - the bond is better investment. However, it's not much fun.

Alot of people can dump alot of the typical expenses which are non-esesential (cell phone, cable TV, dining out, lawn service etc.) and will have saved enough money each month for a loan payment (if that's how they bought their car to begin with). Fortunately, I didn't have to finance my car and the money I have in it is not an issues. Thus, values don't mean all that much. However, I do cringe once in a while about the cars i have passed up in the past:

65 327/365 nice car for 38K
65 327/375 FI for 48K

Last edited by crw41; 12-28-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:33 AM
ratpack1968
Pro

Originally Posted by hansenisu
If you own a BB car, then BJ is probably a good leading indicator. Too bad we don't see many SB cars on there, but I guess they don't bring the dollars and prestige that BJ wants or the ratings that Speed wants. Those announcers always seem to talk down our SB cars like they were 6cyl Mustangs.
Good point. However, it is logical that the more expensive big block cars become the more small block cars (particularly 350/365 HP) will increase in demand as a viable alternative. It is driven by supply, demand and scarcity. It only makes me wish I had bought a big block car back when they were selling for under $10k...coulda...shoulda...didnt.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Nicky71
Drifting

The best way to make money is to buy and sell a car quickly as a used car.

Well said. This point doesn't get made very frequently. I, too, wish the prices would have stayed reasonable and I could have more cars. Though I have never lost money on a Corvette, I don't consider them to be investments.

Get notified of new replies

To Midyear Market Values

Old 12-28-2005, 12:12 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

The whole price increased is simple supply side economics....Remember Ronald Regan...well this principle applies to the rise in prices for the midyears. Take a simple look at the people buying the midyears...they are in their midyears. They are buying the car they wanded as a Teen Ager in the 60's. Since only a limited amount are available, the people doing the buying (big buck buying) are buying up the ones in excellent to good condition and willing to pay top dollar. So the cars in the medium to poor range become worth more because of the limited amount of cars left. So what we considered to be junk is now something a person who cannot afford the 50+ thousand Midyear consider a bargin as it becomes the "project car"... and the cycle goes on.....

Notice the C3 is just starting to rise....that generation sees it as a bargin and now the teens of the 70's will be driving the prices of the C3s up....and it all runs in a cycle.

But remember, the prices rarely go down...look at the C1s they are still getting a strong price....I have actually notices the 61 and 62 rising in price the last year...

I purchase my 63 because I was able to afford it finally after 30 years, and was able to restore it because kids are out of the house and on their own...disposable income, instead of traveling or golf, I chose to restore a 63...same principle across the board.......

SUPPLY SIDE ECONOMICS LIVES....
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I think you are also seeing more and more restored, or partially restored cars on teh market as compared to unrestored or modified (in the '70's) cars.

The days of the project car beater, that ran and looked OK, but needed some things like paint, minor body work, upholstery, chrome, etc., seem to be disappearing.

Once someone pays $25K for a project car, then puts $20K into it, they probaly don't want to sell it for $30K.

Doug
Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, don't forget that the more these cars are worth, the more of them that will be saved.

This is so true now for the early chrome bumper SB C3s which not long ago, were not deemed worth the expense of restoration. I'm sure the same was true for the average SB C2 not long ago.

Quick Reply: Midyear Market Values