C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body is off and work has started (2nd set)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Body is off and work has started (2nd set)

Managed to find a little time today to put the new fender skirt in and pressure wash the frame. The dismantling and labeling of the frame and parts starts tonight.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your body stand. Getting those inner fenders in just the right spot so the hood fits correctly is a trick isnt it?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

The frame does look pretty decent in the pictures except for the rear modification. Have fun.

Dan
Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Rear modification?? Do you mean where it was hit??
I havent fit the hood yet. I am going to wait to do that until after the body is back on the frame. The c clips were only in place temporarily to make sure the rest of the skirt didnt move while the adhesive was setting up. Same with the radiator support-i just cant tell how it is sitting yet.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! You move fast. Where do you find the time? The better the core, the better the rebuild. Looks like you'll have a nice result.
Brian
Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

It's all about the tools. The right tools make things go a lot faster. That and i am not married and i do not have any children that i know of . Just a girlfriend that requests thursday-Sat night. Sunday through Wednesday are mine most of the time.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Bill J
Instructor

Don't want to butt in but I hope you checked the hood fit before bonding the inner fender. In my experience the fit can be changed a lot by the inner fender. A new jig built front end comes with the top of the inner fender unbonded so you can fit it to the hood.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

OF course not! That is why i replaced the skirt i the first place-b/c it sat below the hood due to a lousy repair where someone just riveted the fender and skirt together with very little bonding adhesive. . Well, that and it had a crack running the entire way down the skirt by the expansion tank. When i brok the skirt loose from the fender and tried to adjust the height the repaired crack opened up and became worse. So i ordered a new one and it is turning out great so far.
I will not bond it until i put the body back on the frame and the hood is in place. I actually mention this above.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:37 PM
75Brickie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Body Lift Question

Cobrastang ---

I have been following the beginning episodes of your restoration and I am curious of what procedure you did to lift your body off of your frame. Do you have any pictures of that? I am considering starting a frame-off on my 64 'vert. but have gone round and round in my head on what would be the best prodedure.

I have 9'-0" tall ceilings in my garage and I wasn't sure if that was high enough for the lift and sling method to allow the body to fully clear the frame/engine. I could resort to the buddy system if nothing else.

Keep us posted on your saga. I for one really am encouraged by seeing someone, other than a restoration shop, doing this at home.

John
1964 Convertible
Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
gilmore1967
Racer

Hey Cobra,
Are you still in the running for those wheels? I hope so. I think they look nice.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

75 Brickie- I tied the body together with some eye hooks and some steel cable. I then called four of my friends and we put two people on each side of the car, one person in front to push the dolly in and then i had my mother and father pull the frame out from the rear.
I took basically everything out of the interior to make it as light as possible. Convertible top, seats, etc.
You can view all my pictures and keep up with the progress at
http://community.webshots.com/user/corbrastang

This really isnt hard as long as you have the correct tools and a little help from time to time. Oh, and of course the assemlby manual. Remember, always to label everything and to take a lot of pictures. That way if you are uncertain about something later you can always go back and look at the pics to see how it was before.

Get notified of new replies

To Body is off and work has started (2nd set)

Quick Reply: Body is off and work has started (2nd set)