C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help! Clutch plate finger inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
bondtimbond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Clutch plate finger inspection

I have my 67 C2 trans out and am inspecting the clutch. Clutch isn't worn out and I was planning to leave it be. But, I wonder how even and uniform the tops of the fingers should be? I understand that it they are uneven, that it can cause rattle in the clutch and roughness. How uneven can they be and still be OK? 3 or 4 fingers that are next to each other appear slightly higher (towards rear of car) than the others (maybe 1/16" or so). Those same fingers appear more worn on the tips than the rest, like they have been contacting the release bearing with greater force. Maybe this is all normal and OK?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This much was OK

The reason I took this picture was because the PP I pulled out was very uneven and shook the whole clutch assembly, including the pedal, when depressed. I didn't get a shot of the failed assembly but it was all screwed up. Check the archives - someone responded to one of my posts with a measurement.

Regards,
brian

p.s. it was a LUK assumbly but I was probably at fault for using installation techniques that could have bent the fingers.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Since we are on the subject of clutches here. What clutch assembly do you fellows recommend for a replacement in our C-2's ?? Haven't checked yet but does GM still make an exact replacement for the car? Mine is starting to chatter some and it may be time to think about a new replacement.

Fred
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,103 Posts

The GM clutches were discontinued many years ago; I've used the LuK "RepSet" and Centerforce I & II clutches in many cars with no problems. Make sure you get the correct (1-1/4"-long) thowout bearing, not the 1-3/4" TO bearing used on passenger cars.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The GM clutches were discontinued many years ago; I've used the LuK "RepSet" and Centerforce I & II clutches in many cars with no problems. Make sure you get the correct (1-1/4"-long) thowout bearing, not the 1-3/4" TO bearing used on passenger cars.
John,
Thanks again for the advice here. You wouldn't happen to know what the Luk manufacturing part numbers are would you? Being in the parts business I noticed one of the warehouses I deal with carries Luk clutch assemblies. What is the difference between the Luk "RepSet" verses the Centerforce I & II ? In my current parts business I haven't sold very many hard parts over the last 25 years since I sold my Carquest parts store so I am not too familiar with the product.

Last edited by ffas23; 10-17-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
bondtimbond
Instructor

I have heard about the LUK brand, but what about the "Sachs" brand? I called a local CarQuest parts house and this is the brand they carry.

JohnZ, do you have any experience in determining how much finger misalignment is acceptable?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bondtimbond
I have heard about the LUK brand, but what about the "Sachs" brand? I called a local CarQuest parts house and this is the brand they carry.

JohnZ, do you have any experience in determining how much finger misalignment is acceptable?
Just spoke to a warehouse that I deal with. I thought they were carrying the Luk brand but they are carrying the Sachs brand and they are in the process of making a change in brands because of some problems that have occured with the Sachs brand from what I understand. Just saw on the web that Dial-A-Clutch carries Luk and the part # for a small block and BB is 04-021 for a 10-1/2" clutch. They sell it for $109.56 plus shipping. An 11" Clutch for a BB is 04-049 sells for $110.85 plus shipping. They say quote: Each clutch kit comes with a precision matched disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing/bushing (where required), alignment tool.
Not a bad price at all.

Update: This afternoon out on the road talking to different customers of mine I heard nothing but good things about Sach clutches. Supposely they are used as factory equipment in BMW's and Mercedes from what I was told. Maybe the warehouse had other problems like possibly supply problems. Who knows?

Last edited by ffas23; 10-17-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,103 Posts

LuK is the world's largest OEM clutch manufacturer (they supply the 12" Viper clutch, among many others), and I've never had a problem with their stuff; Sachs is also top-notch hardware, but I have no experience with any of the Sachs clutches.

I don't want to see ANY finger misalignment - the TO bearing should sit dead square on the fingers.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
bondtimbond
Instructor

Default Dial a clutch

Just to update on the LuK clutch kits. Dial-a-clutch does sell them and right now are offering free shipping. The kit that costs only $109 is a kit they put together containing some Valeo parts and some Sachs parts. The LuK Repset is more expensive, and once I pointed out to them that some folks might want specifically the LuK set they said they would put that on their website.

I have ordered one from them and will let you know how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Clutch plate finger inspection

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch plate finger inspection