C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ever get snubbed by a C4-6 driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<C4 owner cruisin the forums. We basicly say the same thing about C5 and C6 owners, I do get a few waves here and there but not many. Don't blame it all on what one guy has said. Sometimes there is just no time to wave back. And I'm 18, sometimes its hard to recognize an older vette that you dont see every day. Be proud that your generations are rarer and harder to to keep up because of their age. Be proud to be a respectable vette owner. I've seen maybe 100+ C5-6's since I've owned my vette and I've seen one stingray. Sometimes its just hard to recognize something one's not used to seeing thats all I'm saying. ow, and don't care what others think, as long as you are enjoying your girl
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
If I could afford a new one.... I would have it. Unfortunately this is not the case. So I will have to stick with the stock of old ones I have acquired in the past that were reasonably priced. I don't have to keep up with the Jones's. I am the only one who has to be satisfied. For now the suit fits quite nicely. When I wear out what I have I will be in the market for the late model used. I didn't really prefer old, it just ecomomically worked out that way. I do envy the way the new ones ride, handle, and perform. I have yet to feel slighted driving an old car. They all have charm in their own certain ways.
What the C5 guy may not realize is that most C1/2's are worth considerably more than most C5's at this point. If you have one that isn't, just wait a couple of years and it will be. C5 prices are dropping even faster than vintage prices are going up.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I get waves 99.9% of the time from C1, C2, Hot Rodders, muscle cars, 55-56-57 Chevys, 55-56-57 T-Birds, antique cars, classic cars, 90% from the Harley Davidson and chopper crowd, 70% from Austin Healeys, Jags, MGs, Tirumphs, 60% from C3, 20% from ricers and about 5% from the C5-C6 crowd...

Even Viper owners and 200x Ford Mustang guys are more apt to wave then C5 or C6 owners....

I think it's pathetic I get the least recognition from fellow Vette brethern (C5-C6).... and more apt to get a wave from a Jag, Viper or Datsun 240Z...
Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
ratpack1968
Pro

the non-car guys who don't wave are too busy concentrating on the two/three upshift or fixing their hair. "Real" car guys/girls always wave because they appreciate the marque and its heritage.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

I live in calif in the bay area and get waves from most vett owners reguardless of year. Most of the time I get recations from most like my 65 is some type of 250,000 exotic.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 67 327/400
I over heard one guy explain to his friend that he hates older Vettes because they're slower and don't handle like the C5 and C6.
I certainly don't drive my C1 or C2 for their handling. I couldn't even keep up with my wife's old BMW 540i Station on a curvy road

But those cars sure hit the jackpot regarding smiles per mile and admiration
Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I find when I'm near a C-5 they seem to want to get away from me, they speed off or turn a corner. I think it's because the midyears steel all the attention. One time I parked next to a C5 at the video store I don't think the people even saw the C5. I've had kids to grandmothers give me all kinds of nice compliments, but rarely a C5.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't be so hard on them, alot of the C5/C6 owners are new to the Corvette world and have never owned one. Sure there are some snobs. Just wave and enjoy, they will learn, some in the club have even asked what all of the waves they get are about.

We must teach are new brothers and sisters the way of the Vette.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 62fuelie
What the C5 guy may not realize is that most C1/2's are worth considerably more than most C5's at this point. If you have one that isn't, just wait a couple of years and it will be. C5 prices are dropping even faster than vintage prices are going up.
This is a really good point. The most expensive C4s would be the ZR1s which for low mileage 94s and 95s typically change hands for no more than in the low 40s. Same is true for C5 Z06s. they also max out in the low 40s for the 2004 models and dive down for the earlier models. Even the new C6 Zo6 will probably be out the door for about 70K. Now try buying an original 67 435 for less than 100K. I doubt if you can even get a fuelie of any vintage for less than 70K in nearly any drivable condition.

Even average condition cars show a wide disparity between each series. C4s are probably the cheapest with most of them trading below 15K. C5s depending on age (and not being Z06s) probably trade for no more than the low 20s. I doubt than even a average condition low HP 1964 will trade for less than 30K today.

Another factor in looking at comparative values is the status of ownership. Any guy I see driving a 65 396 will undoubtedly own the car outright. Any later model Corvette (mostly C5 & C6) is probably making payments. Its a lot harder to pony up 100 large for a 40 year old toy than it is to make payments.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:38 PM
f2023
Instructor

Default I think this is a true statement

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
Don't be so hard on them, alot of the C5/C6 owners are new to the Corvette world and have never owned one. Sure there are some snobs. Just wave and enjoy, they will learn, some in the club have even asked what all of the waves they get are about.

We must teach are new brothers and sisters the way of the Vette.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 64 Posts

Default ever get snubbed by a Corvette

Too much analysis, if you are driving a Vette and see a Vette, just wave. My wife & I drove our 2000 Hardtop, 8000 miles this summer (CA to PA & back) and I would guesstimate a wave was returned 60% of the time. We arranged to attend Bloomington, Vette museum/factory, local PA car shows, Black Hills Vette event and NCRS in Salt Lake City UT. Even at these Corvette rich events, some of the Vette drivers did not return the wave.
I consider myself a gearhead, besides the 2000, we have a 59 Corvette hybrid project, my 69 Camaro and a Cheetah project. Looking for a 64 coupe body.
C Ya, Joe
Frankenstein 59
Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I've been trying to save the wave since the late 70's, but to be brutally honest, I've stopped waving first to C4-6's when Im in the '58 or '63. I'm done being ignored by these dopes.

However, when I drive the '03, I always wave first. I think the late model cars need to show deference by taking the initiative anyway.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:44 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JWD01
What is a C4-C6? Is that one of those cars driven by a guy with multiple gold chains, a comb over and matching Covette underwear??

OK, now that I know what to wear when I drive my C4, could you please tell me what I should wear when I drive my C2
All vettes are great (C1-C6) and I wave to all of them, even when I drive the C4.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I wave to all vettes and have gotten snubbed by all vettes. I dont take it to heart, some people get it, some dont, and some just dont have time to wave. And for the record, I dont wear gold chains or matching underwear when I drive my '96 Grand Sport, but I do have a matching ball cap and shirt. One more thing, my cheaply built C4 would smoke my '66 anyday of the week with no problem at all. Both get equal looks, and where I live there is no shortage of vintage vettes. I actully get more attention in the GS than the '66. I have been a corvette guy for 20 years, got the bug at the ripe age of 12.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:05 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Hi Guys
I haven't been aroud the forum for awhile. Most Corvette people have waved too me (90 %) and would love to have a C-2, is it just an Oregon thing? I wave to all Corvettes and most classics ( excluding Mustangs) There's so many of them I'd never have a chance to shift Also how many shows have you been too and have women come up and say "now thats a real Corvette" talking about your C-1 or C-2.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by propwash
Also how many shows have you been too and have women come up and say "now thats a real Corvette" talking about your C-1 or C-2.
The trouble with that is that they are all the 18 year olds from 39 years ago!

As far as waving, I wave to all Vettes and if I don't get a wave back it doesn't bother me in the least. The attitude that cracks me up is "I don't wave first". I keep imagining two of these guys passing each other and mumbling, "azzhat!". The older cars are better at waving. We've had more practice. Hey, I've been waving from a Vette for 36 years.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were crusing and she said "why didn't you wave?". I said "at what?" and she said "at that nice coupe that just passed us going the opposite direction!". I'm always on the lookout for other Corvettes and this one slipped right by. So... just because you don't get a wave doesn't mean that you've been snubbed. Sometimes the other guy just doesn't notice!

I found that of the non-corvette, non-sports car, non-classic crowd, guys in chevy pick-ups do the most hooting and hollering and give the most thumbs up!!!

The best thing... even better than the wave and thumbs up is watching the kid in the car next to you, slack-jawed with his face pressed up against the glass. A bomb could explode outside the car and that kid would not even blink -- MEZZZZZMORIZED

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To Ever get snubbed by a C4-6 driver?

Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_65
<<<C4 owner cruisin the forums. We basicly say the same thing about C5 and C6 owners, I do get a few waves here and there but not many. Don't blame it all on what one guy has said. Sometimes there is just no time to wave back. And I'm 18, sometimes its hard to recognize an older vette that you dont see every day. Be proud that your generations are rarer and harder to to keep up because of their age. Be proud to be a respectable vette owner. I've seen maybe 100+ C5-6's since I've owned my vette and I've seen one stingray. Sometimes its just hard to recognize something one's not used to seeing thats all I'm saying. ow, and don't care what others think, as long as you are enjoying your girl
Thanks for the lecture. I'm not going to quibble with your vast year and a half of driving experience, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume the majority of "snubs" are not due to the late model drivers not knowing we have Corvettes.
PS, I'll enjoy my girl when I get home. However, while I'm driving, I'll enjoy the Vette.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

FIRST OF ALL, I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE YOU HAVE EVEN ASKED THIS QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!
I'm basically done with the arrogant, self-centered, holier than thou, premadonna owners of later model Vettes. The ONLY ones I know, or am aware of, that have ANY regards for older, or owners of older, Vettes, are those late model owners who also have early Vettes. What I could say to, or about, those folks, I can't include in this post. And if I have offended some of those owners here, well-----------------------------------------------swallow some of your own medicine, and see how it feels!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:56 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Well, now that I've gotten started, I'll just rant a little more-------------------------------to make a specific point.
If it were not SPECIFICALLY for the 53 and the 56 Vettes, THERE ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT BE a Corvette in existance today. Period.
The 53, being the first Vette, introduced the Corvette to the world. Certainly not a performer, but, an introduction.
The 56, because of its substantial performance accomplishments--------------not earth shattering, but significant enough to attract the attention of many car people. And from there, the rest has become more than history. Yes, the 57 was the car that got all the goodies (FI, 283, 4sp, posi, HD brakes, etc), BUT, IT WAS THE 56 THAT INITIALLY PUT TRUE PERFORMANCE INTO MOTION for the Corvette!!! The 57 just expanded on that performance.
My whole point with all of the above is that (and I realize that I'm stepping out on a limb here) very probably the majority of late model Vette owners just DO NOT have a clue about how or why their car got here from there.
It's just like today, many of today's whiny-*** kids don't understand how or why the USA got here from 1776!
OK. I'm done, anyone want to buy a soapbox, cheap?

Quick Reply: Ever get snubbed by a C4-6 driver?