C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

left head light motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
67green
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default left head light motor

I have a 67 coupe with a droopy left head light. I can't get the motor to open the headlight housing far enough. I checked the open STOP screw and it is 1/4" from touching the "Y" shaped bracket and the stop nut.The motor stops before getting the housing completely open. I tried to turn the manual opening **** at the end of the motor shaft but it just spins in my fingers no matter which way I turn it. When I watch the motor open and close the housing by having the WIFE push or pull the switch the manual **** spins fast as I watch the housing move in either direction. I have no allignment problems when the housing is fully closed, just that last 1/4" from being fully opened. The headlite does shine out at an angle towards the road due to this problem. Anyone have an idea of this adjustment???
Thanks Chuck
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '67 Hdlite Mtr.

It sounds like the "potmetal" gear is bad. If that's the case it's not a big deal to replace. If the motor hasn't been worked on for a while the gear drive grease should probably be cleaned out & replaced while your at it anyway. Costwise the gear will run about 20-50 depending if you use repo or GM.
HTH, Bob L.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
67green
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this gear in the motor housing? If so is there directions other than the assembly manual?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Only takes a couple of minutes to pull the motor, great step-by-step motor rebuild article with lots of photos at:

http://www.65corvette.nonethewiser.n...or_Rebuild.pdf

Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

What about the limit switch?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

The switch is not an electrical "limit" switch. It's only function is to power the "headlights" warning light on the dash when the headlights are on, but the buckets are not fully open.

Get notified of new replies

To left head light motor

Quick Reply: left head light motor