C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Auto to Manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 AM
Luftwaffe35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default Auto to Manual conversion

I love this forum. Lots of good feedback Here is another question: How difficult is it to convert a Powerglide car to a manual transmission set up?
I have the opprotunity to purchase a nice mid-year roadster that has an automatic transmission. I really want a manual transmission and an contemplating having it converted or doing it my self. I was looking into the Kiesler 5-Speed transmission - comments?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can find manual-shift pedal assemblies on Ebay.

Then you'll need the clutch linkages and pivot shaft. Those are also easy to find.

If you're going to convert to a hydraulic-release clutch you're going to have to do some fabrication. But the standard mechanical clutch release is pretty easy to do.

If I'm not mistaken, all the Mid-Years had the tab on the frame for the pivot shaft so you just have to make sure your engine block has the tapped hole for the ball stud. If your engine doesn't have that, there are brackets available that bolt to the bellhousing.

The rest... flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, transmission and shifter are all easy, easy, easy to find.

There are some recent detailed threads regarding the 5-speed kits that are definitely worth reading.

Last edited by Seaside63; 08-10-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My personal opinion. If you don't own the car yet, keep looking until you find a manual that you like.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Conversion

I have done the conversion on a 65 to a Munsie before and it is straight forward. All parts are easily available and the Z-bar bracket is on the frame. Cost is ~$1.5k, plus console, the parts you can sell should bring ~$500.
If you need help E-mail me
Charlief
66 Coupe
Old 08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

I did an automatic-to-4-speed manual conversion on an 80 vette, and it wasn't too bad. I would recommend getting the conversion kit from Kiesler that includes the pedals, bellhousing, clutch, etc. They offer it separately from the 5-speed kits, and it would save you on locating the right parts that all fit together, and you would have new parts to work with, not 40 year-old used-up original parts. On the 80, I had to weld the clutch pivot Z-bar bracket on the frame, but that was the only welding that I had to do. I'm not sure if the midyear frames included the brackets or not. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:29 AM
bigjoepos
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Auto to Manual Conversion

Accumulating parts now for my conversion also. Have all the clutch linkage parts but no bracket on the 76 auto frame.
How much trouble was it to weld it in? Looks like there is a brake line assembly mounted in the same location on the frame.
I called keissler, they just want to sell the whole kit with trans.
I was considering going hydraulic but need some help choosing a workable master and slave combination.
I was thinking that a small block bell housing from a truck already setup for a hydraulic slave might be a way to go. Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Just buy the frame bracket, align it with the Z-bar attached to the bracket and engine stud, and weld it on. That way you can use all stock parts and don't have to cobble up the car for a hydraulic setup.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:40 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I think all C2 chassis have the Z-bar bracket welded from the GM, I have never seen one without it.
charlief
66 Coupe
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by tentuna
I think all C2 chassis have the Z-bar bracket welded from the GM, I have never seen one without it.
charlief
66 Coupe
Yup, that's correct - I must have been thinking about C3's, which had different frames for manuals and automatics.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Luftwaffe35
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10
Default Coversion

Thanks for your input. Reading these responses and the threads on the Keisler 5 speed, I am contemplating purchasing the Auto to Manual kit from Keisler.
I live on the west coast (Portland, OR) any suggested shops to do the conversion? The car I'm buying is in Texas. I have read that B&M Automotive (Knoxville, TN) does good work. I could purchase the car ship it to B&M and then home. The only thing I'm concerned about is any follow and or warranty work on the installation. Unlikely that I would send the car back if the installation developed problems.
Does anyone have some suggestions?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luftwaffe35

Does anyone have some suggestions?
I agree with MosportGreen66 above.

Pass on this car and buy one with a manual transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto to Manual conversion

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual conversion