C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Passenger door lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:34 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passenger door lock

Hi Folks,

Now that I'm ready to tackle the arm rest installation on my 64 coupe, I would like to fix the pass door lock problem at the same time. The door cannot be locked/unlocked w/key. Key turns both ways but nothing happens It can be locked/unlocked from inside by turning the lock ****. I've tried graphite spray with no luck. Should I look at replacing lock ***'y (which requires changing both sides to use same key) or am I likely to encounter another gremlin causing this? Any advise what to look for before I go tearing in?

Thanks, Allan
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Link/rod for the lock cylinder fell off? Illustration in '67 CSM fig. 47. Maybe '64 book has same illustration.

Don't install armrest yet, door panel has to come off to fix lock cylinder.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Red64
Advanced

Allan,

My 64 had the same problem. I pulled both door panels and compared the lock assembly. I found that there was a small bent rod that goes from the door lock to the actual mechanisim that was missing from my passenger side door. If you look at the AIM manuel, it shows the rod. I was able to make a replacement out of material I had, and it now works great. From your discription, I would bet you are missing the same part. Hope this helps.

Pat
Old 07-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Vette-66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your 64 is like my 66 then the 2 methods of lock/un-lock are separate mechanisms.
On mine, the outside lock attaches via a rod to the locking part of the door opener, you should be able to remove the lock all by its self and the door will still lock from the inside.
There is a clip on the inside of the door that holds the lock in and a clip on the locking rod, remove both of these and the lock should come out. Could be the rod clip is missing cuz all the lock does is move the lever to lock the opener mechanism.
Your ability to rotate the key in both directions would suggest the key part is fine.
Seems there is a small arm "staked" onto the end of the lock cylinder that the locking rod attaches to, check this too.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Old 07-30-2005, 02:03 AM
327Heaven
Drifting

I appreciate the tips.

Thanks, Allan

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger door lock

Quick Reply: Passenger door lock