C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[photos] Finished work on trailer for transport of 63..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:04 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default [photos] Finished work on trailer for transport of 63..

Since the 63 is coming home next week (4 days and counting), I finished work on the trailer for now...thought I would share my photos of what I did...

Inside the trailer. Put down vinyl black and white checkerboards, primed and painted the walls, and starting to put up "History of the Corvette" wall boarder..
Notice the non-skid on the loading ramp...

Next photo shows inside...waiting for more boarder to finish both sides, carpeted the wheel wells...and will put bumper pad for door on the wall.

Final photo, installed the winch..powered by truck battery...put some diamond plate on the floor both on top and bottom for support...

Think it will be a fitting transport for my 63......
Old 07-23-2005, 06:20 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

EB - that trailer is nicer than my car!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That thing is WILD. Will you do my Trailer TOO??
Old 07-23-2005, 08:45 PM
60vett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it just be easier to DRIVE the thing.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:59 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Is that " on the road living quarters " or a trailer to transport a car ? Can't wait to see the 63... bet it is a work of art!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:31 AM
CaptRon
Cruising

Hi -

It looks good. Do you recall the manufacturer's name of the black / white vinyl tile? I've been looking, but no one seems to carry square commercial grade black and white tiles. I want to do something similar to my new 22 foot Haulmark and a garage. The garage will need heavy duty because of the wheels on the 4 post lift, engine hoists, etc. The manufacturers that I've called don't think their vinyl can take that kind of load. I know that it's made, but I don't know by whom. If anyone has a clue, could you please let me know. Thanks

Also - I had to build ramps both leading to the drop down door and inside the box to load some really low cars - a 96 Corvette GS and 96 Dodge Viper GTS. The inside ramps allow the escape door to be used. Neither car had a chance of clearing the loading door. The older Vettes can make it easy.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

I got the vinyl squares on line...I will try to find the people I got if from, but I think I just googled black and white floor tile....

Recommend you rethink putting these down on garage..putting it on painted wood and concrete are two different things. I don't thing the vinyl would be any good on pourous concrete. I used race deck flooring and am very satisfied...

Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Why a trailer?

What were your reasons for a trailer?

- Is the car now too nice to drive?

- Do you feel that you have too much invested in the car?

- Is it to maintain cleanliness prior to judging?

Not meant as a criticsm, just out of curiosity.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:09 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 840 Likes on 457 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by CaptRon
I've been looking, but no one seems to carry square commercial grade black and white tiles......
I covered the floor of my new shop with commercial grade vinyl tile that I found at a building surplus outlet. I guess they buy the excess from commercial building products. My two post lift is fixed but I do occasionally lift one end of a car with a floor jack. So far the tile has stood up well to the weight of the jack but I would guess that something like a moveable four post lift might leave indentations if you left it sitting on the rollers for any length of time. The only problem I have with the vinyl is that it will discolor if you leave any rubber tire on it for more than a few hours. I have a nice big brown ring on my floor where I stacked some new tires and even my rubber tired roll around carts will leave marks. I have a good coat of wax on the vinyl but the rubber seems to somehow react with the vinyl itself. I always put pieces of carpet under the tires when I park a car on the tile.

One other thing to be careful of is lifting a car with independent suspension (especially the rear) and then setting it back down on the tile. Because of the suspension geometry, there is a lot of sideways force applied the tile when the suspension is lowered to the floor, usually enough to move the tile sideways. I learned this the hard way and now I usually place a piece of cardboard under all the tires when I lower a car on my lift so that the tires can "slide" on top of the tile.
Charles
Old 07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Very Good Questions and here is my reasoning

Originally Posted by crw41
What were your reasons for a trailer?

My wife and I hope to travel to different parts of the country to attend some of these wonderful shows and cruises, like the Route 66 San Berdeno Show, Woodward Cruise, Gold Coast Cruise, the NCRS Show in Kissinemme, Fl, and so on. I like attending local shows, and the car will be driven to the local cruises and shows, but like I said, its not practical to drive this car on long distances because of it being a 63 Coupe, no air, no power, just the horsepower and stickshift.

- Is the car now too nice to drive?

Its a fully restored (show room condition) 1963 Split Window Coupe. These cars are getting scarce and I hope to preserve it for longer trips. I have purchase ET Wheesl and Radial Red line tires to use it for cruising, while in show it will have the bias tires White Walls and its original wheel covers. I enjoy driving, and I did not creat a piece of furniture, but at the same time I don't want to drive it long distances.

- Do you feel that you have too much invested in the car?
By all means, it was a VERY VERY expensive and time consuming frame off restoration. But as I stated about, its not furniture, Corvettes are meant to run and it will run.

- Is it to maintain cleanliness prior to judging?
No, I did not rebuild this car to be a trailer queen, it will be driven and enjoyed. I have no problem detailing cars for shows, been doing it for years and years. A little soap and water and Zaino does wonders. Matter of fact I enjoy working or detailing cars...that has no issue. But I have to say this, trailering it to shows gives you the added protect if it should rain you can get the car into shelter...many times I have been at shows where it just rain, I would cover it up, redetail and it would just rain again...that is a definite benifit.

Not meant as a criticsm, just out of curiosity.
No criticsm taken, we all are different and have different ways of looking at things. I have been showing cars for many years and this is the first trailer I ever bought. I have always driven to and from shows. So I can understand your reasoning for asking these questions.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Lookin good man!! Wish I had a trailer for some of the shows that are further off... Dave..
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 PM
CaptRon
Cruising

Originally Posted by EBVette
I got the vinyl squares on line...I will try to find the people I got if from, but I think I just googled black and white floor tile....

Recommend you rethink putting these down on garage..putting it on painted wood and concrete are two different things. I don't thing the vinyl would be any good on pourous concrete. I used race deck flooring and am very satisfied...

I've seen vinyl or similar composite tile on several TV shows (Horsepower, Trucks, etc.) and these guys have all sorts of heavy stuff on it. Isn't Race Deck raised plastic flooring ?? - I'm not sure if my 4 post lift, engine hoist, dollies, etc will roll on it, or if I can get them to roll up the lip.

I think most of the trailer companies (Haulmark, Pace) use sheet vinyl. Any known sources for that material?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:24 PM
CaptRon
Cruising

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I covered the floor of my new shop with commercial grade vinyl tile that I found at a building surplus outlet. I guess they buy the excess from commercial building products. My two post lift is fixed but I do occasionally lift one end of a car with a floor jack. So far the tile has stood up well to the weight of the jack but I would guess that something like a moveable four post lift might leave indentations if you left it sitting on the rollers for any length of time. The only problem I have with the vinyl is that it will discolor if you leave any rubber tire on it for more than a few hours. I have a nice big brown ring on my floor where I stacked some new tires and even my rubber tired roll around carts will leave marks.
Charles
The TV shows (Horsepower, Trucks, etc.) are doing all sorts of crazy things on their checkerboard floors with no apparent problems. Horsepower even has the same 4 post Eagle lift, and they roll it all around the garage. I should probably take a look at their web site.

Ron
Old 07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did my trailer pretty much the same way. i got my vinal squares from home depot. they have held up pretty good.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Dan Q
Advanced

Just some advice for others putting vinyl tile in a car trailer. Make sure you get tile that has the color all the way through the tile. DON'T get the tiles with the thin color film on top of a vinyl base. They won't last.. ask me how i know... I think this is what people mean when they say commercial tile, the tile is a solid color throughout... Don't save money buying the wrong tile.

Get notified of new replies

To [photos] Finished work on trailer for transport of 63..

Quick Reply: [photos] Finished work on trailer for transport of 63..