C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VIN # question for a '56

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 PM
toadster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN # question for a '56

I loooked at a 56 today, and have a question I hope someone can answer about the vin #. The tag on the door post started with a "E------", but the paperwork showed the vin # to be....VE------. I am wondering what the V stands for, or why is it on the paperwork. The car was last registered in Iowa, but now in Calif. Other than the "V" before the "E" on the paperwork, the rest of the number matched, but the plate on the door looked new and had some theft proof screws attaching.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The V is wrong, most likely a type o from someone at the DMV. The Vin should just start with E and the vin tag should be held on to the inner door frame with dome top screws. not theft proof screws what ever those are.

QUOTE=toadster]I loooked at a 56 today, and have a question I hope someone can answer about the vin #. The tag on the door post started with a "E------", but the paperwork showed the vin # to be....VE------. I am wondering what the V stands for, or why is it on the paperwork. The car was last registered in Iowa, but now in Calif. Other than the "V" before the "E" on the paperwork, the rest of the number matched, but the plate on the door looked new and had some theft proof screws attaching. [/QUOTE]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The "V" prefix on the serial number was only used for one year on '55 Corvettes (to signify the new V-8 engine replacing the six); probably a DMV error. The "E" prefix was used in '53-'54 and '56-'57.

Get notified of new replies

To VIN # question for a '56

Quick Reply: VIN # question for a '56