C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Donn 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran

Buy a Dodge if you like to work on them

Buy a Ford if you own a gas station

BUY A CHEVY IF YOU WANT TO USE IT

HAD THEM ALL

" I TRY NEVER TO BUY FOREIGN ANYTHING"

Last edited by Donn 66; 04-28-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After growing up a GM man and having wrenched on cars at the local bowtie dealership many moons ago, I currently own a Mustang Cobra, Eddie Bauer Explorer and a spanking new loaded Ford SC F150 4X4 for daily drivers. As for the fun cars their all Chevrolets! Funny how that works out! Two 1963 Corvette Convertibles and a original #'s matching 1969 Z/28. I feel proud to support our American auto workers, the products the are producing are once again on top of the market in quality. I too have owned the Toyota's and Nissans, you can keep'em, Go to Japan and see if you can find one the road after 5 years, they know they are crap and make them difficult to re-register. Most of them get shipped down to Okinawa or the Philippines to live out the remainder of their years.. or just get scrapped/crushed and made into new one's for us to buy. The only thing I feel guilty of is supporting all the terrorist harboring countries we buy oil from to power all my V8 vehicles, but that's a separate issue!! "Sore subjects for $200 please"
Old 04-28-2005, 07:54 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If the Japanese made crap. Then Japanese Automakers would not dominate the auto market they way they do. Straight and simple fact.

Most used Japanese cars in Japan are not shipped to Okinawa. They are shipped to major markets such as Australia and England as well as many middle eastern countries. Why? Because the car are reliable.

Originally Posted by topless63
After growing up a GM man and having wrenched on cars at the local bowtie dealership many moons ago, I currently own a Mustang Cobra, Eddie Bauer Explorer and a spanking new loaded Ford SC F150 4X4 for daily drivers. As for the fun cars their all Chevrolets! Funny how that works out! Two 1963 Corvette Convertibles and a original #'s matching 1969 Z/28. I feel proud to support our American auto workers, the products the are producing are once again on top of the market in quality. I too have owned the Toyota's and Nissans, you can keep'em, Go to Japan and see if you can find one the road after 5 years, they know they are crap and make them difficult to re-register. Most of them get shipped down to Okinawa or the Philippines to live out the remainder of their years.. or just get scrapped/crushed and made into new one's for us to buy. The only thing I feel guilty of is supporting all the terrorist harboring countries we buy oil from to power all my V8 vehicles, but that's a separate issue!! "Sore subjects for $200 please"
Old 04-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you all in on a dirty little "secret" about Japanese cars.

They all need new motors after as little as 70,000 miles.

There is a huge business in replacement used engines for Japanese cars. These engines are cheap. Typically an entire engine can be swapped into a disabled Japanese car for $1,000-$1,300 bucks.

People that have the engine blow up on their famously "reliable" Japanese car are too embarrassed to admit that theirs wasn't as perfect as it was supposed to be and quietly get the motor changed.

The market for used late model Japanese engines is over 100,000 a month just in the United States.

My daughter's Toyota MR2 blew its engine at 72,000 miles even though it was meticulously maintained and carefully driven.

Imagine our surprise to learn "they all do that".

Look into it and you will be surprised at what you find.

Here's just one... http://www.used-japanese-replacement...OVMTC=advanced

Toyota in the last few years has been battling a huge issue with Camry and Sienna v-6 engines that blow up due to "engine gel". They blame the customer yet most have strict documentation of their maintenance.

Toyota refuses to admit that these cars are junk and they refuse to honor warantee claims.

Look into it and you will be amazed at what you find.

Read this: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff21562.htm

Another one: http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html

It's everywhere.

Last edited by Seaside63; 04-28-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by hoolies
i do not know more than anybody,but am 2nd generation with many
pickups over the years,we are ranchers and use these trucks dailey,
we how have 4 in use.the f150 is to small for that trailer,it will pull it
but is not enough truck for it.the f-250 would be alot better and safer.
there are many reasons for this.if i can help let me know.my 2cents.
hoolies

The few extra bucks for the F-250 is money well spent. If you're going to buy an F-150 to pull a trailer, you just as well buy a Chevy.

My F-250 Power Stroke is wonderful.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 PM
batmann
Drifting

How can you dispute the facts of 2004.....

The best -
cars - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html
truck - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...4/article.html

The worst -
cars - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...1/article.html
trucks - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...2/article.html
Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

HEY MODERATORS - please move this to the appropriate forum. It has nothing to do with C1's or C2's.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:48 PM
C2IT
Racer

Originally Posted by JWD01
HEY MODERATORS - please move this to the appropriate forum. It has nothing to do with C1's or C2's.
Hey, I only intimated that I might be towing Corvettes with a Ford truck I had no idea it would elicit such an outpouring of non-corvette related responses. Move it if you must
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 PM
66rag427
Racer

Originally Posted by Seaside63
I'll let you all in on a dirty little "secret" about Japanese cars.

They all need new motors after as little as 70,000 miles.

There is a huge business in replacement used engines for Japanese cars. These engines are cheap. Typically an entire engine can be swapped into a disabled Japanese car for $1,000-$1,300 bucks.

People that have the engine blow up on their famously "reliable" Japanese car are too embarrassed to admit that theirs wasn't as perfect as it was supposed to be and quietly get the motor changed.

The market for used late model Japanese engines is over 100,000 a month just in the United States.

My daughter's Toyota MR2 blew its engine at 72,000 miles even though it was meticulously maintained and carefully driven.

Imagine our surprise to learn "they all do that".

Look into it and you will be surprised at what you find.

Here's just one... http://www.used-japanese-replacement...OVMTC=advanced

Toyota in the last few years has been battling a huge issue with Camry and Sienna v-6 engines that blow up due to "engine gel". They blame the customer yet most have strict documentation of their maintenance.

Toyota refuses to admit that these cars are junk and they refuse to honor warantee claims.

Look into it and you will be amazed at what you find.

Read this: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff21562.htm

Another one: http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html

It's everywhere.
Seaside
Don't hit these hate american first drivers with facts. They don't like it. The Japanese drivers I know won't tell you when they have a major repair because they are too embarassed after ranting over the wisdom of their purchase.

This is the only American generation that will leave their children with a more bleak future outlook than they had. All to feel accepted by their neighbor. Sad
Old 04-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They aren't facts-it is actually just an outpouring of crap. I am sure all my friends that have over 100,000 miles on their Toyotas are too embarrased to tell me about the replacement engine they bought at 70,000 miles. Please what a bunch of $hit. Look at the facts to see where your American dollar is going when you buy an American car. Read my earlier post. If you want to tell me that you don't by foreign made products everyday of your life just to keep up with the technoloby, not to mention live, then you are full of shiznizzle. The only part of this entire argument that makes since is that we need to quit relying on oil from foreign countries and find an alternative fuel source. Gas would be very cheap for our old cruisers if that took place. We are all hypocrits here and there is no way you can say otherwise unless you live in the wilderness and have nothing to do with technology.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:16 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy what you like, tommorow i will haul my trailer with my 220,000 mile originial engine no major problem f-150. but what works form me might not work for you.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:00 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have owned Chevys my whole life. The wreckers and flatbeds for my shop where always Chevy. Then I went and bought a Ford F450 flat bed. 460 gas , nice truck. Until the firewall broke where the clutch cable go's through. Then the 460 used oil like a train. Then the exhaust manifolds started leaking. We tried every fix in the book for the exhaust leaks. But could never solve that one. Now anyone that has a 460 Ford knows what i'm talking about. Then the AC stopped working because the o ring connecters Ford has suck.And I can't forget about the dash falling out because they bolt the e brake to the bottom of the dash so when you push the pedal down it also pulls on the dash. I sold that truck and went back to Chevy. A Chevy HD with a good old big block. Trouble free. Now these trucks tow every day. Not like your pickups that the most they see is a car trailer a few times a year. My personal truck is an 2003 Chevy crew cab dually with a Duramax Diesel. Best truck I ever bought. The power stroke that Ford guys talk about so much is an International. But the diesel in my Chevy is an Izuzu. So as far as diesels go Ford and Chevy can't build a good one. Dodge has the best diesel motor but the rest of the truck sucks. I had one of those to but I won't get into that.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:52 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid327
Basic economics:

The auto business is a mature industry in North America. There is excess capacity over need or demand. Unless the manufacturers build compelling products we just have to own, we can drive what we already have until it wears out. Cars last a heckeva lot longer than they used to and the age of the fleet here in the USA is relatively young.

If there is growth to be had, it will come from foreign markets outside of Europe, where both GM and Ford have operated for years. GM and Ford know that to grow and remain competitive in a global environment, they have to position themselves for the growth markets in Asia, (India and China). That means building cars there. It's likely that some of those cars will get exported to the USA. Better by GM or Ford, than an Asian or European car company who will also be operating there and competing for those markets. At least the profits come home.

Rising healthcare costs have hurt Ford and GM more in the USA, than the various foreign companies who build cars here. They also have huge pension and healthcare legacy costs from their retirees, due to UAW contracts previously negotiated. To offset that cost disadvantage, GM sources parts from their plants in Mexico, Brazil, and Canada, where healthcare, labor, tax treaties, and or, currency advantages offer them a savings advantage. By contrast, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all have lower healthcare and legacy costs, and source the majority of their parts here in the USA. Many of their models are also designed and engineered here in the USA and are exported to other markets. That means jobs and investment in the USA, but the corporate profits go home. You can however, purchase stock in any of the Japanese automakers and participate in their fortunes, good or bad. The shares trade as ADR's on the NYSE.

UAW hourly workers contibute less than 10% of their healthcare costs, while the average American worker contributes almost 30%. Rising healthcare costs are part of the reason companies from all industries are exporting jobs overseas. Even your credit card company likely has call center workers in India, rather than Anytown, USA. You can see this problem is not unique to the domestic auto industry.

Rising litigation costs is part of the reason that healthcare costs are rising faster than inflation and that also ties over into the high costs of pharmaceuticals. Tort reform is badly needed. However, since the lawyer's lobby speaks louder than we do, and since the majority of legislators are lawyers, (who may return to private practice someday) it is unlikely that much progress will be made on this front.

Technology marches on and automation technology has replaced probably as many, or more, manufacturing jobs than have been lost to foreign workers. Technology has also contributed to improved quality and performance in the end product.

I have a Chevy truck, a Corvette and two Japanese cars. When we buy our next car it will be a GM product. It may be a Cadillac (CTS), or a Chevy ('06 Impala V-8 SS) and I also plan to look at and drive the Saab 9-3 Aero (GM owned) and the Subaru Legacy GT AWD (partially GM owned).

Buy what you want, expect and demand value for your dollars spent. GM builds the best pick up trucks, as demonstrated by resale value and percentage still in use. Everyone I know who has a Duramax diesel loves it. Very quiet and very strong and in case you didn't already know it, that engine was jointly engineered with Isuzu for GM.
I couldn't agree with you more here. You are an educated person and know what is actually happening out there. Most of the general public beyond this forum doesn't know a thing about what is going on.

As far as rising healthcare costs hurting us all. I place this blame on our federal government by not doing anything to stop the illegal invasion of our country. Both parties talk about fixing health care. Think about it. How can this ever be done with millions of illegal aliens coming accross our boarder every year. These illegals get free health care and we have to pay for it contributing to the higher costs. Hospitals are closing because they don't pay. We also have to educate their children in our public schools making our property taxes higher especially here in N.J. where I live. We have the highest property taxes in the nation and plenty of illegals running around. There is a petition going around urging President Bush to secure our borders. Please consider signing it and passing it around. It is at this link: www.reformus.org
Old 04-29-2005, 08:55 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I read that the CEOs of the two largest drug companies in the USA got 80-90million bonuses last year (and that's just two guys). This is one of the only countries without profit restrictions on drug sales. Why would someone believe our rising health care costs are due to illegal aliens?

Between the drugs and the insurance costs (driven by litigation), the people caring for your health are getting a bad rep with the term "health care costs".

IMO the term should be renamed "excessive drug and lawsuit profits".
Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've just been reading and enjoying until the Seaside63 recent post. I totally disagree.

While there may be examples of japanese cars that only went 70k miles, a majority of people I know have honda accords and toyota pickups that have done 200k miles with absolutely no problems.

Personal owner of 2000 Ford F-150, 2000 Ford Expedition, 1963 Corvette

Business owner of (11) Ford fleet trucks
Old 04-29-2005, 09:28 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by magicv8
I read that the CEOs of the two largest drug companies in the USA got 80-90million bonuses last year (and that's just two guys). This is one of the only countries without profit restrictions on drug sales. Why would someone believe our rising health care costs are due to illegal aliens?

Between the drugs and the insurance costs (driven by litigation), the people caring for your health are getting a bad rep with the term "health care costs".

IMO the term should be renamed "excessive drug and lawsuit profits".
Look all CEO's are over paid I don't care if it is GE, Exxon/Mobil or Merck. I am not sticking up for the drug company's but I believe it cost plenty to develop a drug and they need to recoupe the cost involved and make money like any other company. Yes this is a contributing factor as well as litigation from the trial lawyers and yes illegal immigration is also a contributing factor. There are over 13 million illegals in this country and they are using our hospitals and they are not paying. Your quote: (Why would someone believe our rising health care costs are due to illegal aliens?) Do you believe they are not a large contributing factor? If so you need to tune into Lou Dobbs on CNN to see what is really going on. I give this man alot of credit for exposing what is going wrong with our government.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Solid327
Racer

Originally Posted by Soonerjim
Does that mean we should just fall in line like good soldiers?

The union workers number about half of what it was 20 years ago. If we get on the same page as the management, another twenty years may bring no more american built cars. We were told the other day, that 30% of all GM cars coming off the line, are bought by GM workers, and their families. The lost of market, is not our fault.
Yes, because your non union competitors damn sure will.

You are right about UAW workers numbering less than the number 20 years ago. Technology has replaced the number of assembly line workers needed years ago. It's called automation and robotics. Even the skilled design and toolmaking trades benefit, or have been impacted by technology, due to desk top computing power, cad cam design and automated machine technology. Just as an example, the paint shop is now entirely automated and the finishes of today's cars are almost show quality compared to our old Corvettes, which were painted by hand and had uneven, inconsistant coverage at best.

Why hasn't the UAW been successfull in organizing American autoworkers working for Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, or any of the other foreign brands who have plants here? Maybe the UAW is an idea whose time has come and gone?

You should buy what you build, that's the side your bread is buttered on. If I recall my history correctly, it was Henry Ford's idea to make the Model T affordable for his workers to buy.

What has the UAW brought to the table recently? I see the organization as an idea outmoded. Union executives can speak the party line all they want but they are all a bunch of fat cats more interested in their own self preservation, than they are in their union workers. Because of that they won't bend and it's causing your employer to have a distinct cost disadvantage over your competitors.

Competition has been good for consumers overall. Domestic quality is now as good as it has ever been no thanks to the UAW.

Like it or not, this is the information age and we are in a global environment. Humankind marches forward and time is further compressed. If we stand still and hang on to old ideas and methods, we'll get left behind. I believe in America, we have the talent and raw resources in our system to maintain our lead in the world but the others are catching up.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...

Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I bought an Avalanche......then I had to buy the trailer......already had the cars......trailer optioned with electric winch....have no problem one person loading any kind of car as long as its got wheels....and they don't have to have air in them....car just has to clear the deck when being pulled up the ramps........great trailer....1150 pounds....will gross out to 7000. More than enough for a Corvette....trailer is a 16ft....had the C1, C2 and C5 up on it with no problem...

Old 04-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid327
I believe in America, we have the talent and raw resources in our system to maintain our lead in the world but the others are catching up.
And this is the fallacy that "Middle Americans" continues to believe.

America has no lead. We have squandered our lead and are in a trailing position.

As long as people fool themselves into believing we have a lead we will continue to fall further behind.

Until the time that we admit this we cannot begin to recapture any strength we had.

Americans have been so fat and happy that we have let the hungrier, stonger come into our own house and take whatever they please.

In many, many cases, our own government has freely given entire industries to foreign competitors. In many, many cases, our own government has rewarded American companies for giving our jobs away.

Until we realize that WE are the government and demand a government that protects US, we get what we deserve.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
C2IT
Racer

Originally Posted by firstgear
I bought an Avalanche......then I had to buy the trailer......already had the cars......trailer optioned with electric winch....have no problem one person loading any kind of car as long as its got wheels....and they don't have to have air in them....car just has to clear the deck when being pulled up the ramps........great trailer....1150 pounds....will gross out to 7000. More than enough for a Corvette....trailer is a 16ft....had the C1, C2 and C5 up on it with no problem...

Hey firstgear - thanks for getting this thread back on track!!! That's the kind of trailer I really have in mind. Where did you get it? Would you mind telling us what you paid?

Being a RedWings fan, I could never have considered the Avalanche

Quick Reply: Maybe this is slightly sacrilegious...